Four areas need addressing to reduce corruption: committee

snoop1130

Four areas need addressing to reduce corruption: committee

By The Nation

2a8i9s9.jpg

Panthep (middle)

The anti-corruption reform committee has created a framework for building their recommendations, dividing it into four areas: corruption prevention and monitoring, precautionary measures, corruption suppression, and anti-corruption organisations.

The second area, precautionary measures, would emphasise state office precautions, as well as asset scrutiny and reporting of all civil servants to their heads.

The committee is working out in detail how to properly report assets and changes of assets and values, said committee chair Panthep Klanarongran.

Democrat Party deputy leader Nipit Intarasombat said he agreed with the idea of all state officials reporting their assets. This, he said, could help prevent collusion between them and politicians, a relatively common practice in the country’s corruption cycle.

Nipit said the asset reporting is not as difficult as some may fear, as people should well know which assets belong to them or their families.

If they fail to report them without any ill intention, they would not be subject to any punishment, he said.

The fourth area, anti-corruption organisations, would put an emphasis on creating independent and integrated watchdogs.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30329684

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-10-19

Nipit et al.: How do you change a culture? How do you inspire, make or force people to do their job with integrity as opposed to seeing what angles of your position can yield you extra cash, regardless of the legality or morality of it?

A colleague of mine actually worked to overhaul the Hanoi police from pocketing the bribe money gotten from fining helmetless motorcyclists. How did he do it? Convinced the commissioner to mandate that they write tickets, but then pool the fine money which was divided between the officers at intervals. In short, work with the corruption but legitimize it for record keeping's sake and divide the bounty so everyone's still incentivized to do their job.

Solutions like these are new and imperfect but they work. They are gotten by looking at examples from other places around the world.

What has Thailand's navel-gazing gotten them? *Several* anti-corruption ministries/departments that do little more than use taxpayer money.

Edited by seminomadic

5 minutes ago, mark131v said:

Army, Navy, Air Force and Police yep four areas that need addressing in relation to corruption, wont hold my breath..... 

You forgot all government offices/officials (e.g. Land Office) so perhaps remove the Air Force??

Just now, xylophone said:

You forgot all government offices/officials (e.g. Land Office) so perhaps remove the Air Force??

You are right I think the national anti corruption reform people have underestimated the scale of the issue easier just to say all and every Thai in any and all positions of authority as that would be much closer to the truth.....

1 minute ago, Chang_paarp said:

Really it only requires one thing to change. Enforce the laws without fear or favour. Build a few extra jail cells for those caught and advertise their demise.

Yes I know I'm dreaming.

Add do away with that CCA and allow people to come forward and blow the whistle on the criminals and you are bang on.

I used to live at Bangsaen and there is a big anti corruption building/department there. The security guards used to make a fortune renting it out for parking after hours and weekends.

Committee Chairman Panthep and his cronies are just trying to justify their existence.

PM Prayut has already laid down his forward plans for dealing with corruption. He has a 20 year plan for the elimination of corruption. Still 19 years and two months to go so why the rush.

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

1 hour ago, mark131v said:

Army, Navy, Air Force and Police yep four areas that need addressing in relation to corruption, wont hold my breath..... 

Lets simplify it. Take every Government employee, which covers all the armed forces, the cops, the council. civil servants and screen the lot. Then go back over the list more extensively three more times. That should weed out most of the critters.

2 hours ago, Chang_paarp said:

Really it only requires one thing to change. Enforce the laws without fear or favour. Build a few extra jail cells for those caught and advertise their demise.

Yes I know I'm dreaming.

No you're not. They have a couple empty jail cells unfortunately the selected inhabitants are overseas living it up.

2 minutes ago, coulson said:

No you're not. They have a couple empty jail cells unfortunately the selected inhabitants are overseas living it up.

There are also empty jail cells waiting for Thai citizens who have expressed their opinions about things and who have tried to identify corrupt practices.

13 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

3 years into it and they are just building the "framework" ?

Not being funny, but I have had all the walls up, roof on, plumbing/electics done and the kitchen fitted by now !!!

They don't 'alf drag their as4es

Yep, just look at them. I wouldn't be surprised if it took 3 years for one of them dinosaurs to come back from a pee break...

I remember, 20+ years ago, that local newspapers reported assets of MPs when they started their good work with the government and how much the same MPs had when they left. With very, very few exceptions all others had massive increases, in millions of Baht, during their tenure for the better of the country. At the same time their spouses had declared their assets on the way in/out as well. 

I clue you, those spouses were then already the richest of 'em all on the planet and nobody, I mean literally NOBODY, cared what was printed in the papers. A staggering personal wealth in crease by the billions and nobody cared. Then, and as I said it happened 20+ years ago, I knew that this country is, democratically and politically, doomed. While the political ice at that time was thing and had little impact on business today, decades later, the political ice is all but gone and the situation of business could be witnessed yesterday again at the BIG fair at BITEC, a most beautiful trade fair with fantastic booths and exhibits - missing only trade visitors as the aisles were completely empty the whole day. 

It seems that the chicken came home to roost - after all! 

12 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Lets simplify it. Take every Government employee, which covers all the armed forces, the cops, the council. civil servants and screen the lot. Then go back over the list more extensively three more times. That should weed out most of the critters.

Armed forces and cops!!! Surely you jest. Not in the near or distance future; those critters. 

Another take on it..........corruption can only be stamped out by those who are not corrupt taking action, but the problem being that the Thai mentally (and esp those in office) doesn't see corruption as being a particularly bad thing!

And do we really think that a government that is benefiting from corruption is going to cut its income stream.....no. It exists because it benefits those in a position to be able to enrich themselves and because it's ingrained in the Thai mentality. Ergo, no change.

Dont panic !

I have it on very good authority that corruption in Thailand was originally instigated and largely confined to a shadowy figure named Mr T.

He has apparently now been banished from the kingdom along with his glamorous accomplice , the future is bright it seems.

The sun burns ever brighter , 

the birds chock full of song.

Wicked T has left the building ,

nothing will ever again go wrong !

???

Four areas. 1/ Elected Officials

2/ Bureaucrats (land office in particular)

3/ Police

4/ Military

Those are the areas of corruption I would focus on.

On 10/19/2017 at 11:28 PM, worgeordie said:

"If they fail to report them without any ill intention, they would not be subject to any punishment, "he said.

there's a loophole if ever i saw one, no ill intention.it was an honest mistake.

regards worgeordie

Well, Worgeordie, you beat me to it, almost word for word.

We can hear it now  "Sorry, I declared my ownership of 5 houses in Bangkok, but completely forgot about the other 15. Sorry, just an honest mistake!".