arguing over satangs

digbeth

I've just witnessed the most bizarre Pattaya moment ever standing in line behind a guy at my local supermarket, the guy was arguing, yelling with the cashier that he didn't want the satang coins and the cashier should have given him a baht coin instead, not that he was short changed, but he don't like the satang coin and they're worthless... 

okay many people thow away or put them in donation boxes if they feel it's beneath them to use those coins, but to waste minutes of your life arguing with minimum wage cashier to essentially 'give' you the extra half satang is just sad and I kinda feel sorry for the cashier that has to put up with cheap charlies like this.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While it may not always be the case, when dealing with foreigners in Pattaya and other places popular with tourists and expats the question I ask myself isn't "is this guy drunk?" but rather "how drunk is this guy?"

Sounds like the clerk was unloading a bunch satangs instead of a baht coin.

Production costs and time needed to handle those coins ...count, remove from register, process by a bank, ect....they cost more than they are worth. Should go with baht coins as the lowest and round everything up or down.

1 hour ago, Fujionrye said:

Production costs and time needed to handle those coins ...count, remove from register, process by a bank, ect....they cost more than they are worth. Should go with baht coins as the lowest and round everything up or down.

Not so sure.  I go in with a big handful of coins sometimes and most cashiers take the time to count them ALL out and take them.  I guess they run short?

I have to admit, I don't like the satang coins. LOL

Some people -- especially old-fart alcoholic farangs in Pattaya -- are just plain rude.

As for satangs: I can't be bothered by such a tiny amount of near-useless coins. I either give them away or leave them at the counter. 

I always give most of my loose change to my grandson to put in his moneybox and when it gets full my daughter puts the money into his account. On a couple of occasions she's told me that the bank has refused to accept the satang coins.

It is these people that I call "damned FARANG"  These are the tourists that think because they are from an "industrialized'" country that they can do anything they want and demand that they be looked after the way that they want.  

In Canada, we had the penny Americans still do.  It is a waste of time and just like the satang a pain in the ass.  While on its own it is nothing if collected and taken to the bank it can be worth something.  I collect them and use them when purchasing stuff of a low cost or take them to the bank to deposit.  It like the penny was is a trivial currency but never the less it is real.

Personally, I would have told the guy to buck up and get going he was wasting my time.  I would also give the <deleted> his baht coin explain what orifice to put it in and then asked for the manager to congratulate the cashier for taking this unwanted abuse.

Maybe change the song to here's a satang call someone who cares

It does annoy me too when they keep half a baht change. Not because I want it but I would rather put it in a donation box to help people than contribute to 7/11 or somewhere getting richer.

It's also a bit rude to just assume you don't want it. It would be better automatically donated to charity unless requested.

If he was trying to get it rounded up though then perhaps he needs to contemplate what kind of a person he has become.

50 minutes ago, HerbalEd said:

Some people -- especially old-fart alcoholic farangs in Pattaya -- are just plain rude.

As for satangs: I can't be bothered by such a tiny amount of near-useless coins. I either give them away or leave them at the counter. 

.25 and .50 Satang coins are used in all convenience stores so how are they near useless?

Hundreds of items are priced x.25 x.50 or x.75

2 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Not so sure.  I go in with a big handful of coins sometimes and most cashiers take the time to count them ALL out and take them.  I guess they run short?

I have to admit, I don't like the satang coins. LOL

They work great as tile spacers

5 hours ago, Fujionrye said:

single handed you just wiped out every mom&pop store in LOS

10 hours ago, SheungWan said:

The guy has no right to ask for change over and above the balance of the transaction. Its sounds like one of those situations where I might be tempted to say something if I was in the vicinity. Well maybe. Who was this nutter?

I agree the customer has no right to ask for change over and above what he is due. You say you might have said something to him.

Well, ...do you ever say something to the cashiers who regularly and constantly short change customers when they don't give satangs owed to the customer (I have one major store on Pattaya Klang in mind).

About 5 month ago ( after 17 yrs of saying nothing) I had enough and made a "thing" of itit

I discovered that certain items were priced at for example ..43Bt.25...and so forth...and almost every  time they would charge me 44Bt. ...OK, after it happened a few times you begin to take special note of this. Then I started to think that this was a deliberate policy on the stores part. I began to think that this is a "nice little earner" for the store. The customer only looses between 25 and 75 satang on each occasion and will probably not bother about it...but the store can make the same amount on almost every single customer that comes through it's doors.

Why, if an item is, let's again say 44Bt.25 satang, can the store not just charge the 44 Bt. If they do not have the correct change for a customer, in this case 75 satang, then it is them who should lose the 25 satang....not overcharge the customer almost an extra baht for his purchases..

As I daud in the beginning, I had enough and spoke up sternly about it....simply because I do believe is a deliberate policy on behalf of the store and instruct their cashiets accordingly.

Of course, I don't know for sure but if a store overcharges me regularly,what more proof does one need.

5 hours ago, Fujionrye said:

be careful, you're venturing into the land of common sense...

1 hour ago, kingstonkid said:

It is these people that I call "damned FARANG"  These are the tourists that think because they are from an "industrialized'" country that they can do anything they want and demand that they be looked after the way that they want.  

In Canada, we had the penny Americans still do.  It is a waste of time and just like the satang a pain in the ass.  While on its own it is nothing if collected and taken to the bank it can be worth something.  I collect them and use them when purchasing stuff of a low cost or take them to the bank to deposit.  It like the penny was is a trivial currency but never the less it is real.

Personally, I would have told the guy to buck up and get going he was wasting my time.  I would also give the <deleted> his baht coin explain what orifice to put it in and then asked for the manager to congratulate the cashier for taking this unwanted abuse.

Maybe change the song to here's a satang call someone who cares

I've saved all my pennies as they make great copper clad washers if you drill a hole in the centre. I also collect all the shiny satang coins I get to add to my coin collection.

12 minutes ago, whaleboneman said:

I've saved all my pennies as they make great copper clad washers if you drill a hole in the centre.

Hadn't thought about that idea for the satangs as many times have wanted a small washer that wouldn't rust!

Now I just throw all of this small stuff into a container then either put it in a tip box somewhere or a charity box.

I kept all my satang coins in a free piggy bank tin provided by a Thai bank. The tin sat on top of my fridge.

"No good " my wife insisted.

"Bank not want. Shop not want. You bah. "

When the tin was pretty much full, and must have weighed around 2kg, it mysteriously disappeared.

Wife .... "I give my daughter ... she keep, take bank. Kop khun khup."

5555555  I'm thinking 2 kg of satangs probably converts into a reasonable sum of free baht.

Sunday project. How much does a 0.25 satang weigh ? How many in 2 kgs ?

1 minute ago, electric said:

I kept all my satang coins in a free piggy bank tin provided by a Thai bank. The tin sat on top of my fridge.

"No good " my wife insisted.

"Bank not want. Shop not want. You bah. "

When the tin was pretty much full, and must have weighed around 2kg, it mysteriously disappeared.

Wife .... "I give my daughter ... she keep, take bank. Kop khun khup."

5555555  I'm thinking 2 kg of satangs probably converts into a reasonable sum of free baht.

Sunday project. How much does a 0.25 satang weigh ? How many in 2 kgs ?

alot !!!

3 hours ago, dotpoom said:

I agree the customer has no right to ask for change over and above what he is due. You say you might have said something to him.

Well, ...do you ever say something to the cashiers who regularly and constantly short change customers when they don't give satangs owed to the customer (I have one major store on Pattaya Klang in mind).

About 5 month ago ( after 17 yrs of saying nothing) I had enough and made a "thing" of itit

I discovered that certain items were priced at for example ..43Bt.25...and so forth...and almost every  time they would charge me 44Bt. ...OK, after it happened a few times you begin to take special note of this. Then I started to think that this was a deliberate policy on the stores part. I began to think that this is a "nice little earner" for the store. The customer only looses between 25 and 75 satang on each occasion and will probably not bother about it...but the store can make the same amount on almost every single customer that comes through it's doors.

Why, if an item is, let's again say 44Bt.25 satang, can the store not just charge the 44 Bt. If they do not have the correct change for a customer, in this case 75 satang, then it is them who should lose the 25 satang....not overcharge the customer almost an extra baht for his purchases..

As I daud in the beginning, I had enough and spoke up sternly about it....simply because I do believe is a deliberate policy on behalf of the store and instruct their cashiets accordingly.

Of course, I don't know for sure but if a store overcharges me regularly,what more proof does one need.

No. Never. I don't sweat the small stuff.