arguing over satangs

digbeth

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, kenk24 said:

That poor unfortunate cashier... doing her job and getting confronted for it - - in a land where confrontation is hopefully avoided and over something so meaningless... she will be nervous every time a farang approaches. 

Had he been the UK I would've stuck a boot up right up his arse to show where to stick his small change ......:post-4641-1156694572:

2 hours ago, electric said:

I kept all my satang coins in a free piggy bank tin provided by a Thai bank. The tin sat on top of my fridge.

"No good " my wife insisted.

"Bank not want. Shop not want. You bah. "

When the tin was pretty much full, and must have weighed around 2kg, it mysteriously disappeared.

Wife .... "I give my daughter ... she keep, take bank. Kop khun khup."

5555555  I'm thinking 2 kg of satangs probably converts into a reasonable sum of free baht.

Sunday project. How much does a 0.25 satang weigh ? How many in 2 kgs ?

ok peasants. I've done the maths.

25 satang weighs 1.9 grams = 526 coins per kg = 131.5 baht

50 satang weighs 2.4 grams = 416 coins per kg = 208 baht

Who said Sundays were boring ?

On their own these Setangs are worthless. However if a shop has a policy of not passing on these coins to the customer then they are making a prodit on each transaction. When you add all these up over a day/week/month they are worth thousands if not millions of baht of extra profit to the company. 

9 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Not so sure.  I go in with a big handful of coins sometimes and most cashiers take the time to count them ALL out and take them.  I guess they run short?

I have to admit, I don't like the satang coins. LOL

My wife also takes her satangs and even 1 baht coins to the tune of 2-300 baht into our local Tesco Lotus and they're grateful for them.

9 hours ago, ScotBkk said:

Had he been the UK I would've stuck a boot up right up his arse to show where to stick his small change ......:post-4641-1156694572:

What  happens then is, he legs it, comes back with three of his mates,they stab you to death and your dead for the sake of 1p, that's the shit that goes on here now.

20 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Not so sure.  I go in with a big handful of coins sometimes and most cashiers take the time to count them ALL out and take them.  I guess they run short?

So take 'em home, put 'em in a jar, and will them to your kids or something.  NO reason whatsoever to verbally abuse a cashier over it.  'Reminds me of one whackjob complaining on another thread about having to look at fat people.   Some people just have one oar in the water...

20 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Keep a few handy for those cheeky requests for tips.

7-11, Tesco Lotus, Foodland and other chains give and receive 50 and 25 satang coins.

I receive them and spend them.

I agree with the OP. The argumentative person was creating a stink for no reason. He probably takes his bad mood and spreads it around wherever he goes.

3 hours ago, hawker9000 said:

So take 'em home, put 'em in a jar, and will them to your kids or something.  NO reason whatsoever to verbally abuse a cashier over it.  'Reminds me of one whackjob complaining on another thread about having to look at fat people.   Some people just have one oar in the water...

You didn't read my post.  I go in with a handful and most cashiers love taking all the coins I have.  They actually initiate it, not just taking the exact amount of change.

A jar is a waste of time.  And I've got no kids. LOL

23 hours ago, kenk24 said:

That poor unfortunate cashier... doing her job and getting confronted for it - - in a land where confrontation is hopefully avoided and over something so meaningless... she will be nervous every time a farang approaches. 

In The Ops first post there is no mention of a "Farang" causing the problem!

18 hours ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

That's lese majeste, gets you fourteen years.

We don't have lese majeste in Canada. Canadian pennies are large enough to be useful as washers. The Thai satangs go in my coin collection because I find them beautiful. Hope you won't be reporting me now sir.

My local 7/11 rounds DOWN any amount to the nearest baht and have a chart that they scan to deduct the satang from the final amount.

Purely out of interest and reading this topic, I asked the owner why he does this as he is the only one I know of that does. He told me it is easier for the cashiers to cash up, the customers like it as they are getting a discount and it saves him hassle at the bank. He also stated that he cannot adjust the shelf prices to reflect this as the pricing tickets come with the goods. :thumbsup:

1 minute ago, kenk24 said:

You are correct - - but no Thai would ever act that way over something so trivial... I'll stand pat with my assumption. 

Oh yes they would.  We've had news reports here of Thai people losing it over very small stuff.  Loss of face is a prime reason.

Well, you are a credible and trustworthy poster, and I will take your word for it... I live in a quite different Thailand... quite far from Pattaya/Jomtien area/mentality...

I was talking to a masseuse from a local temple - in the morning, each masseuse has to sign in as they have a queue for customers. I jokingly asked her what she does if another masseuse is arriving about the same time, if she runs to get ahead of them... she said, no, I go slower so they can get ahead of me... 

I live in a traditional style Thailand where it is non-confrontational and people are polite. I really cannot remember seeing people argue over anything here. And I have been here a long time. 

5 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

Well, you are a credible and trustworthy poster, and I will take your word for it... I live in a quite different Thailand... quite far from Pattaya/Jomtien area/mentality...

I was talking to a masseuse from a local temple - in the morning, each masseuse has to sign in as they have a queue for customers. I jokingly asked her what she does if another masseuse is arriving about the same time, if she runs to get ahead of them... she said, no, I go slower so they can get ahead of me... 

I live in a traditional style Thailand where it is non-confrontational and people are polite. I really cannot remember seeing people argue over anything here. And I have been here a long time. 

Nothing to do with Pattaya/Jomtien.  Happens all over Thailand.  Not long ago an old man in a village beat his wife to death for not giving him enough money to buy some booze.  It was reported in the news here on this forum.  Quick tempers here for sure.

Overall, Thai people are great.  But like every country, there are a few bad ones.

On 10/29/2017 at 8:00 AM, craigt3365 said:

I sometimes plonk all my coins on the counter at 7Elevens and they take the satangs first. They never complain if you present all your coins and I often see Thai people doing this with a bag full.  

I think you're right - they want them. Sometimes they don't have them and they always seem to round up, not down.

On 10/29/2017 at 10:11 AM, kingstonkid said:

Personally, I would have told the guy to buck up and get going he was wasting my time.  I would also give the <deleted> his baht coin explain what orifice to put it in and then asked for the manager to congratulate the cashier for taking this unwanted abuse.

You're a hero then. What if he was 6'5" and 150kg of muscle and could easily stomp on you? - or would you choose your mark carefully?

A person aggressively arguing over 1 baht is probably not the type you want to start a fight with... why escalate a problem?

2 hours ago, joskeshake said:

instead of giving satang coins they give me most of the time candys.

I have never been offered a candy in lieu of 25/50 satang. I don't mind though as I don't eat candies. 

The thing is, they will readily round up the price, but they insist on you paying the 25/50/75 satang and will take 1 baht to cover it. I know it's trivial, but it's still annoying. They will even cash a 20 baht bill to cover the 25/50/75 satang. They won't let it slide, but they expect you to.

Edited by tropo

On 10/29/2017 at 8:17 AM, soistalker said:

The army Garrison where I used to work didn't use pennies. They rounded up or down to the nearest nickel.

THAT, is very cool!

Never had a problem in our house, we have (I'll start at the bottom) a small Porcelain container where my Mrs deposits all Satangs, so when we go shopping she takes 75 Satang to cover all eventualities, we have another container where all the one & two Baht coins go and finally we have a rather large money box, made of wood, which we have been filling since December 15th last year with all our 5 & 10 Baht coins, due to be counted on 15th December this year, last time I weighed it it was over 7.5 Kilos, any guesses as to how much ?

On 10/29/2017 at 8:16 PM, lanng khao said:

What  happens then is, he legs it, comes back with three of his mates,they stab you to death and your dead for the sake of 1p, that's the shit that goes on here now.

Re-read my statement mate. I referred to the UK not Thailand given that I know their mentality and cowardice on a 1 - 2 - 1 basis that is non existent.

Edited by ScotBkk