Driving at night without lights - Thai's appear to consider them unimportant?

Daveyh

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Techno Viking said:

why so vague then ?

Sorry, you lost me with that comment. If you mean the mix up in dates it's an age thing.., and having had such a transient life, it's hard to keep track of dates.

If you mean vague about my circumstances, I'd be a very unusual tourist with a 4 rai plot of seafront land, house, apartments, a yacht, car, motorbike, pool villa development plans, a retirement extension and no fixed abode in any other country. Happy now, does that clarify it for you?

13 hours ago, Tofer said:

Sorry, you lost me with that comment. If you mean the mix up in dates it's an age thing.., and having had such a transient life, it's hard to keep track of dates.

If you mean vague about my circumstances, I'd be a very unusual tourist with a 4 rai plot of seafront land, house, apartments, a yacht, car, motorbike, pool villa development plans, a retirement extension and no fixed abode in any other country. Happy now, does that clarify it for you?

...and another.

On 11/3/2017 at 4:02 PM, Tofer said:

Ghosts are not quaint Thai cultural traits, they are superstitious clap trap!

You can feel what you like, my first long stay visit was in 1982 and I first resided here in 1989, have been married to a Thai lady for 22 years, so I can claim to have some knowledge of Thailand, it's customs and culture.

Not clear how much knowledge, however. I know of a guy who's lived here for more than 30 years, married to a Thai, but still knows very little. Mentally he still lives back in the USA. All he knows is that Thais like to have money thrown at them, so he does. And they eat Thai food and watch Thai soap operas and speak an incomprehensible language. At least he doesn't posture as an expert, however.

Superstitious claptrap is part of the (quaint) Thai cultural traits. It's strongly reflected in their customs.

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 4:16 PM, sandyf said:

That is not as silly as you seem to think. When the engine is running the cooling systems are active but when it stops the heat becomes localised. Raising the bonnet creates a chimney effect around the engine and helps take the heat away.

Back in the old days it was common practice to raise the bonnet as engines did overheat, water boiled and hoses burst.

Localised heating has not gone away its just that better construction and materials has reduced the risk of damage. For some old habits die hard.

Hmmmm, my VM trade training never included a section on raising the hood after the engine gets hot. Bit hard on cab over engine vehicles too!

Back in the "old" days isn't now, and they would have to be before even my time. The Thais I refer to are all far too young to have "old habits", but urban myths abound nevertheless.

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 4:02 PM, Tofer said:

Ghosts are not quaint Thai cultural traits, they are superstitious clap trap!

You can feel what you like, my first long stay visit was in 1982 and I first resided here in 1989, have been married to a Thai lady for 22 years, so I can claim to have some knowledge of Thailand, it's customs and culture.

Hmmmm. I first alighted on Thailand's fair shores in 1974 and been here on and off ever since, but I know enough to know that I know only a smidgen of Thailand, it's customs and culture. I also doubt that any mere farang will know much at all.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Hmmmm. I first alighted on Thailand's fair shores in 1974 and been here on and off ever since, but I know enough to know that I know only a smidgen of Thailand, it's customs and culture. I also doubt that any mere farang will know much at all.

Quite, but my intelligent Thai wife does, and she's never heard of such codswallop.... 

On 5 November 2017 at 8:29 AM, JSixpack said:

Not clear how much knowledge, however. I know of a guy who's lived here for more than 30 years, married to a Thai, but still knows very little. Mentally he still lives back in the USA. All he knows is that Thais like to have money thrown at them, so he does. And they eat Thai food and watch Thai soap operas and speak an incomprehensible language. At least he doesn't posture as an expert, however.

Superstitious claptrap is part of the (quaint) Thai cultural traits. It's strongly reflected in their customs.

I don't profess to be an expert in anything, as I stated 'some knowledge', but I think there's a bit of difference between Thai spiritual beliefs and ghosts chasing motorbike rear lights!

Unless you or your disconnected USA friend know different, kindly enlighten us all.

2 hours ago, Tofer said:

I don't profess to be an expert in anything, as I stated 'some knowledge', but I think there's a bit of difference between Thai spiritual beliefs and ghosts chasing motorbike rear lights!

Unless you or your disconnected USA friend know different, kindly enlighten us all.

Well, no. After all, you're the one connected and claiming the difference, based solely on your own considerable authority, having cited highly impressive credentials. Now you've pussyfooted over from "ghosts" to "ghosts chasing motorbike new lights," a particular kind of superstitious claptrap. And as you're claiming that it's not part of Thai cultural traits, unlike the other superstitious claptrap in general, then you'll need to show how exactly your highly impressive first long stay visit was in 1982 and I first resided here in 1989, have been married to a Thai lady for 22 years, so I can claim to have some knowledge of Thailand, it's [sic] customs and culture reveals the difference.

In other news, Health team sent to help Thai villagers frightened by ‘deadly ghost’.

17 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Hmmmm, my VM trade training never included a section on raising the hood after the engine gets hot. Bit hard on cab over engine vehicles too!

Back in the "old" days isn't now, and they would have to be before even my time. The Thais I refer to are all far too young to have "old habits", but urban myths abound nevertheless.

I went to a birthday party 2 weeks ago. The guy has a 1964 Ford Cortina Mk1 that he bought new.

Archived