Netizens debate future of store after Fashion Mall says it will close from Wednesday

webfact

Netizens debate future of store after Fashion Mall says it will close from Wednesday

3pm.jpg

Picture: Manager Online

Social media was abuzz with speculation as to what would become of a well known department store closing down this week.

A report on Twitter said that Fashion Mall at Victory Monument would shut after trading on Tuesday.

The property was formerly the site of Thailand's first Robinson's department store opened in 1979.

Following problems associated with the collapse of the baht and the Thai economy in 1997 the store was rebranded as Fashion Mall 2002 opening the following year as a clothes retail store.

Some 500 million baht was invested in the business by Ekasak Daengdech. But the six floor business has run into problems over a bank loan, reported Manager.

Now people online are wondering what will become of the site in one of Bangkok's busiest shopping areas.

Source: Manager Online

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-10-30

Just now, missoura said:

This is terrible news. It will mean that people have to walk another 100 meters to find the next shopping area.

That is true (well, it's less than 50 metres) but Center 1 just across the road is much more professional and modern...just expanded all its floors and many new restaurants have opened with more to follow.  I just hope the Fashion Mall site gets redeveloped and doesn't become (more of) an eyesore.

18 minutes ago, zaphod reborn said:

This shopping mall was dilapidated.  Better use can be made for this valuable land, even if it is another mall.  However, I can't say the owners showed much foresight in closing before the New Year's shopping season. TIT.

Though I haven't a clue in this case, it may have been someone else's idea to close the owner down before the high season, as part of a land grab.

2 hours ago, kratiam said:

A large opticians only opened in the last couple of months on the ground floor with quite elaborate (and, I imagine, expensive) shop fittings and decoration.  I wonder if they will get compensated?

Did the optician shop do any due diligence or risk assessment before they rented the premises, bought and installed their equipment and store decoration? Who want capitalism you take the risks that come with it. 

It would of course be interesting to know if the owners of the full building knew that floor occupied by Fashion Mall would cease trading. And did the owners mention this to any other tenants, let alone rent premises to new tenants.

On the other hand, a prime location, probably not difficult to get a new tenant in the 6th floor.

As a quite different point did any staff members of the optician shop have any advanced knowledge and qualifications about eyes and were they qualified to use the equipment and to understand the data etc., which the equipment produces?

6 hours ago, Get Real said:

Netizens do to much as usual. They should have thier own little place somewhere, so we don´t need to either hear or know about them and their stupid opinions.

3256 posts on your "own little place"......right here.

"Netizen"?

That's you that is:

netizen

ˈnɛtɪzn/
noun
informal
noun: netizen; plural noun: netizens
  1. a user of the Internet, especially a habitual or keen one.
    "we look at how the new generation of commercial Web browsers can help Netizens surf the world"

Time for you to "Get Real"?

Edited by Enoon

40 minutes ago, Enoon said:

3256 posts on your "own little place"......right here.

"Netizen"?

That's you that is:

netizen

ˈnɛtɪzn/
noun
informal
noun: netizen; plural noun: netizens
  1. a user of the Internet, especially a habitual or keen one.
    "we look at how the new generation of commercial Web browsers can help Netizens surf the world"

Time for you to "Get Real"?

Wow! Thanks for the clarification. Netizens is just a stupid name for nothing, in my opinion.

13 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

First of many just wait and see as eCommerce takes over.

Only when Bezos or Gates figure out how to send out free air conditioning by wifi.

Seriously, though- I'm in China now and I'm amazed at how many giant tech malls are almost vacant now that people can have stuff delivered almost instantly from online shops.  They're a few years ahead of Thailand, but it's just a matter of time.  Though high end Thai malls are wisely setting themselves up as entertainment/ dining venues as opposed to only shopping, I can see Pantip and Fortune Town going dark soon.