Who are Paul Manafort and Rick Gates?

snoop1130

Who are Paul Manafort and Rick Gates?

9fzh2b.jpg

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Paul Manafort, a businessman and longtime Republican Party operative, surrendered on Monday to the Federal Bureau of Investigation to face the first charges produced by a special counsel investigation into alleged Russian meddling in the 2016 U.S. presidential election.

Manafort and his associate Rick Gates were indicted by a federal grand jury. The 12-count indictment included conspiracy against the United States, conspiracy to launder money, being an unregistered agent of a foreign principal, making false and misleading statements and seven counts of failure to file reports of foreign banks and financial accounts.

Both pleaded not guilty to the charges.

The Kremlin has denied it meddled in the election campaign to try to tilt the vote in Trump's favor. Trump has denied any collusion by his campaign.

Who is Paul Manafort?

Manafort is a veteran Republican operative who has worked as a Washington lobbyist and international political consultant. His former clients include authoritarian leaders such as the late Ferdinand Marcos of the Philippines and Russian and Ukrainian businessmen and politicians. Manafort was a campaign manager for the Trump campaign in the summer of 2016.

What does the indictment charge they did?

The indictment against Manafort and Gates says they both generated tens of millions of dollars of income from Ukraine work and laundered money through scores of U.S. and foreign entities to hide payments from U.S. authorities between 2006 and through at least 2016.

In June, Manafort and Gates retroactively registered with the Justice Department as foreign agents, in a Foreign Agents Registration Act filing that showed they earned $17.1 million for lobbying on behalf of the Party of Regions, a pro-Russian political party in Ukraine, between 2012 and 2014.

The indictment said they concealed from the United States their work and revenue as agents of Ukrainian political parties. They used their wealth to lead a "lavish lifestyle" without paying taxes on the income, prosecutors said. The indictment says that more than $75 million flowed through Manafort's and Gates' offshore accounts. Manafort, the indictment said, laundered more than $18 million.

The indictment also alleges Manafort and Gates, along with others, conspired to defraud the United States by "impeding, impairing, obstructing, and defeating the lawful governmental functions" of the Department of Justice and the Treasury Department between 2006 and 2017.

Manafort was indicted on nine counts and Gates was indicted on eight counts.

What are Manafort's links to Trump?

Manafort joined the Trump presidential campaign in March 2016 and later became campaign manager, but he was forced to resign in August as questions emerged about his previous work for the political party of the Kremlin-backed former Ukrainian president, Viktor Yanukovich.

Business Insider reported that Manafort and Trump have been connected since the 1980s, when Trump hired Manafort's lobbying firm to help the Trump Organization.

In 2006, Manafort and his wife bought an apartment in Trump Tower in New York, which Manafort still owns and where he lives when he is in Manhattan, Business Insider reported.

How do the charges relate to Trump?

“It has nothing to do with the campaign or the allegations of collusion with Russia,” said Washington attorney John Dowd, who represents Trump in the Russia probe.

A Trump confidante said: “As it relates to the president, this is nothing. All of the 12 counts of the indictment that came down today, all of it predates their tenure at the campaign."

The special counsel's indictment says Manafort and Gates laundered the money through "scores of United States and foreign corporations, partnerships and bank accounts" from approximately 2006 through "at least 2016."

Who is Rick Gates?

Rick Gates was Manafort's deputy and business associate. According to two former high-level Trump staffers, Gates essentially functioned as the Trump campaign manager for more than two months, all while not collecting a paycheck.

The New York Times reported in June that the Trump transition team had been ordered to preserve materials related to ongoing investigations into alleged Russian meddling in the 2016 election. According to the Times, the memo from the special counsel's office to the former transition team also sought specific information on five people including Manafort and Gates.

According to the indictment, between at least 2006 and 2015 Manafort and Gates acted as unregistered agents of the Ukrainian government, a Ukrainian political party that was headed by Ukraine's then president, Yanukovich, and Yanukovich himself. The indictment said they both generated tens of millions of dollars in income as a result of their Ukraine work.

Yanukovich has been living in exile in Russia since he was ousted by mass street protests in Kiev in 2014. His departure lit the fuse for Moscow’s annexation of Crimea and a separatist uprising in mainly Russian-speaking eastern Ukraine.

The indictment said Gates aided Manafort in obtaining money from offshore accounts and that Gates used that money to pay for personal expenses including "his mortgage, children's tuition, and interior decorating of his Virginia residence."

How significant is Gates' arrest?

The indictment lays out the extent of Gates’ involvement with Manafort going back years. That could potentially open the door for Gates to testify against Manafort and others in the future. David Sklansky, a professor  at Stanford Law School and former federal prosecutor, said Gates could feel pressure to cooperate and provide testimony against Trump.

(Reporting by Jonathan Landay, Karen Freifeld, Jan Wolfe; Writing by Yara Bayoumy; Editing by Frances Kerry and Peter Cooney)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-10-31

Manafort, among other things, is a Republican dirty trickster who has worked closely with #1 dirty trickster Roger Stone. There is nothing too low for those type of bottom feeders to consider doing.  They have spread filthy lies for decades (and become filthy rich in the process), and some of the times, it gets their soiled candidates elected.

Bannon is trying mightily now to gain the mantle of #1 Republican Dirty Trickster, but it's a busy field.  Note:  none of those filthy dirty tricks would work, were it not for such gullible Republican-leaning voters.   In other words, if such voters were well-informed (about true things) and were not so easily duped into believing filthy/ridiculous lies, .....the US would have better politicians.

2 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

Manafort, among other things, is a Republican dirty trickster who has worked closely with #1 dirty trickster Roger Stone. There is nothing too low for those type of bottom feeders to consider doing.  They have spread filthy lies for decades (and become filthy rich in the process), and some of the times, it gets their soiled candidates elected.

Bannon is trying mightily now to gain the mantle of #1 Republican Dirty Trickster, but it's a busy field.  Note:  none of those filthy dirty tricks would work, were it not for such gullible Republican-leaning voters.   In other words, if such voters were well-informed (about true things) and were not so easily duped into believing filthy/ridiculous lies, .....the US would have better politicians.

If only the mainstream media propaganda machine did not have to contend with the likes of wikileaks and alternative new sources.

58 minutes ago, atyclb said:

If only the mainstream media propaganda machine did not have to contend with the likes of wikileaks and alternative new sources.

It may not have started out that way, but Wikileaks seems to have become a Russian propaganda organ. As for "alternative" news sources, are those the ones with the "alternative" facts?

3 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

These characters make Karl Rove look like a graduate of the Mother Theresa school.

8 hours ago, atyclb said:

It was just reported one of the biggest buyers of fake news ads from Russia was alternative news sources.  Best of luck to you.

What's scary about all this is how those who were quite high up in the Trump campaign were dirty.  Criminals.  Yet some still support Trump.  I guess they enjoy getting their news from "alternate sites"? LOL

Maybe they watch too much Fox News?

http://money.cnn.com/2017/10/31/media/fox-news-employees-russia-mueller-coverage/index.html

'I want to quit': Fox News employees say their network's Russia coverage was 'an embarrassment'

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Manafort and his associate Rick Gates were indicted by a federal grand jury.

The Trump administration's reaction to this federal indictment: Investigate who leaked news of the indictment. Same as with the Russian collusion allegations.

http://www.newsweek.com/doj-calls-investigation-paul-manafort-indictment-leak-696962

Without any proof Republican Rep. Trey Gowdy, chairman of the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, slammed Mueller for the leak.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/10/29/speculation-swirls-amid-reports-mueller-has-filed-charges-in-russia-trump-associates-probe.html

Gov. Chris Christie, R-N.J noted that "We don't know who leaked it to CNN. It would be a crime if prosecutors or agents leaked it. If defense lawyers leaked it, it might be less,"

http://w ww.washingtonexaminer.com/chris-christie-whoever-leaked-mueller-indictment-to-cnn-may-have-committed-a-crime/article/2638911

Manafort and/or his attorney might have made the leak with attempt to enable pro-Trump media to divert attention from the scope of the charges to the question of leaks.

10 hours ago, tonray said:

These characters make Karl Rove look like a graduate of the Mother Theresa school.

Maybe so, but Rove is a sculpture made out of rotten wood.

2 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

A:  Trump's ,  G.Gordon Liddy and John Dean 

Liddy, maybe.  Dean, not.  Dean was the 1 guy in Nixon's group who wasn't corrupt to the core.  It was Dean who first mentioned the tape recorder in the Oval Office closet.  

Note:  It's known that a sitting prez can't be indicted for a crime (can only be impeached).  My guess is Mueller's team will get papers to indict Trump Sr, but will seal them in an envelope - with instructions to "open and enact the day after Trump is out of office"

It's not outlandish.  That scenario was outlined yesterday by a top notch attorney. 

To take it a step further: Mueller could do the same (sealed indictments in envelopes) for Jared, Ivanka, Trump Jr, and others - who Trump is absolutely certain to pardon ....if was able to as prez.  Once he's out of office, he has no more pardon abilities than you or me.

Speaking of pardons, I think that's why Manafort has been 'hanging tough' all along, and not telling anything.   He's so sure he'll be pardoned by Trump Sr.

3 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

It was just reported one of the biggest buyers of fake news ads from Russia was alternative news sources.  Best of luck to you.

Right wingers don't know what journalism is.  They glob onto anything they read online which sincs with their biases.  That's why they don't like mainstream news, because it sticks with journalistic guidelines - and winds up reporting truths.   Truth is, to right wingers, what water was to the 'wicked witch of the west' in the Wizard of Oz.   Those of us old enough to remember, may recall she dissolved in misery when doused with water.

7 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

Right wingers don't know what journalism is.  They glob onto anything they read online which sincs with their biases.  That's why they don't like mainstream news, because it sticks with journalistic guidelines - and winds up reporting truths.   Truth is, to right wingers, what water was to the 'wicked witch of the west' in the Wizard of Oz.   Those of us old enough to remember, may recall she dissolved in misery when doused with water.

We have a member here who use to love linking to articles from Zerohedge.  Then, they were outed as a fake news site.  I sent him a link and he was shocked.  People gravitate to what they want to hear.  Like Trump.  Sadly.  Me? I want the unbiased truth. 

One problem with the Trump and Russia collusion story is that these indictments are for the timeframes well before either of these two guys worked for Trump, and started well before Trump was a candidate or thinking about being a candidate. I will wait and see where this goes before coming to rash and emotional conclusions.

16 minutes ago, Ahab said:

One problem with the Trump and Russia collusion story is that these indictments are for the timeframes well before either of these two guys worked for Trump, and started well before Trump was a candidate or thinking about being a candidate. I will wait and see where this goes before coming to rash and emotional conclusions.

"either of these two guys'? I've repeatedly seen this contention that there are only 2 guys? Is Papadapoulos invisible to conservatives?

48 minutes ago, Ahab said:

The indictments states that both had contact with the Russians regarding Russian offer of "dirt" on HRC during the Trump campaign for six months. That timeline is very detailed:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2017/10/30/paul-manafort-and-rick-gates-timeline-links-between-trumps-campaign-and-russia/812567001/

Their alleged criminal activities (laundering money and "conspiratorial acts") extended into the Trump campaign that extended into February 2017. Both are charged with conspiring together to make false statements and conceal crimes against the U.S., and to causing others to do so, from November 2016 to February 2017.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/paul-manafort-indictment-happen-before-trump-campaign-fact-check/

You only had a short wait.

2 hours ago, Ahab said:

(4th grade teacher speaking): Well, I know one little person in our group who has been skipping class too often.  Ahab, have you been out fishing at the pond, when you should have been paying attention?

2 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

To take it a step further: Mueller could do the same (sealed indictments in envelopes) for Jared, Ivanka, Trump Jr, and others - who Trump is absolutely certain to pardon ....if was able to as prez.  Once he's out of office, he has no more pardon abilities than you or me.

Speaking of pardons, I think that's why Manafort has been 'hanging tough' all along, and not telling anything.   He's so sure he'll be pardoned by Trump Sr.

Taking it a step further, it's also possible that they'll show him some of the contents of that same envelope and threaten to open it early if he starts pardoning his cronies. 

Sadly, I can see a deal being worked out where that envelope will be declassified and opened in 50 years because it's going to ensnare so many people who know where the bodies are buried.

Perhaps it is best to not be left, right, center dem, repub, liberal, etc but to to use reason, logic, critical and analytic thinking in determining what is credible or not.

This is first time I hear wikileaks is arm of russian propaganda machine.

According The the Administration, Manafort “briefly had a minor role in the campaign” and Papadopoulos was a “low level volunteer”

Trump is Speedy Gonzales when it comes to distancing himself from anything toxic.

I imagine if Kushner were indicted, he’d say, “the guy has some sort of relationship with a relative of mine, Javanka, Evanka...somethin’ like that. Anyway I sent him off to some middle eastern backwater—frankly he was gettin’ on my nerves.”

6 minutes ago, Thakkar said:

According The the Administration, Manafort “briefly had a minor role in the campaign” and Papadopoulos was a “low level volunteer”

Trump is Speedy Gonzales when it comes to distancing himself from anything toxic.

I imagine if Kushner were indicted, he’d say, “the guy has some sort of relationship with a relative of mine, Javanka, Evanka...somethin’ like that. Anyway I sent him off to some middle eastern backwater—frankly he was gettin’ on my nerves.”

It's funny  because when he was interviewed by the Washington Post and asked about his lack of expertise in foreign affairs, he cited Papadapoulos as one of the experts backing him up. How low level can someone when he's cited by the candidate himself?

3 hours ago, atyclb said:

Perhaps it is best to not be left, right, center dem, repub, liberal, etc but to to use reason, logic, critical and analytic thinking in determining what is credible or not.

This is first time I hear wikileaks is arm of russian propaganda machine.

CIA Director Mike Pompeo calls WikiLeaks 'non-state hostile intelligence service' often abetted by state actors like Russia.

http://www.latimes.com/politics/washington/la-na-essential-washington-updates-pompeo-are-you-sure-trump-1492114120-htmlstory.html

20 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

"either of these two guys'? I've repeatedly seen this contention that there are only 2 guys? Is Papadapoulos invisible to conservatives?

I was responding to the topic. If you read the article it was about two persons, and my comments were on topic and focused on the article. Perhaps it would be nice if others comments were as focused on the article at hand?

20 hours ago, Srikcir said:

The indictments states that both had contact with the Russians regarding Russian offer of "dirt" on HRC during the Trump campaign for six months. That timeline is very detailed:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2017/10/30/paul-manafort-and-rick-gates-timeline-links-between-trumps-campaign-and-russia/812567001/

Their alleged criminal activities (laundering money and "conspiratorial acts") extended into the Trump campaign that extended into February 2017. Both are charged with conspiring together to make false statements and conceal crimes against the U.S., and to causing others to do so, from November 2016 to February 2017.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/paul-manafort-indictment-happen-before-trump-campaign-fact-check/

You only had a short wait.

What was I thinking?

You are right, they should immediately be thrown in jail without a trial, or further legal proceedings.

Sorry for thinking the rule of law still applies. My bad.

Edited by Ahab
snarky comment

40 minutes ago, Ahab said:

What was I thinking?

You are right, they should immediately be thrown in jail without a trial, or further legal proceedings.

Either you have an uncanny gift for reading between the lines and seeing what to must of us isn't there, or you have a case of dyslexia. Nowhere, as far as I can see, did Srikcir call for Manafort et alii to be thrown in jail without a trial or further legal proceedings. 

45 minutes ago, Ahab said:

Sorry you went off topic by interjecting a false conclusion as I did not comment on the appropriateness of the judicial process for the accused.

It is sad and perhaps very unfortunate to Trump's credibility that Trump allowed two seemingly highly skilled criminals into major roles of his campaign.

Note to ilostmypassword - you beat my response

Edited by Srikcir
note