Foreign tourists tidy Koh Pha Ngan beaches, earn praise

webfact

1 hour ago, carmine said:

I wish more people here had your attitude, but unfortunately its a nation of litter bugs from all generations unable to fathom the importance of protecting the environment and having no interest in doing so.  With a financial incentive you might see some change.

You only have to look at the debacle of the 250,000 ton + garbage dump that is growing daily at Koh Samui because the incinerator has been broken for years (in spite of money having been supplied to fix it - wonder where that went? :whistling:), and the disappearing green wheelie bins, to show just how much the majority of Thais think about protecting the environment!

Edited by sambum

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, sambum said:

You only have to look at the debacle of the 250,000 ton + garbage dump that is growing daily at Koh Samui because the incinerator has been broken for years (in spite of money having been supplied to fix it - wonder where that went? ), and the disappearing green wheelie bins, to show just how much the majority of Thais think about protecting the environment!

To blame the "majority of Thais" for the corruption of some government officials is a little defeatist.  Elected or installed at gunpoint, they all answer to someone, and it isn't to any majority.

Maybe realist, as well.  But I still remember when the switch flipped back home and a combination of cultural pressure, exorbitant (Super Fund) cleanups  and big-ass fines reduced the litter problem significantly.  Heavy on the big fines.

44 minutes ago, impulse said:

To blame the "majority of Thais" for the corruption of some government officials is a little defeatist.  Elected or installed at gunpoint, they all answer to someone, and it isn't to any majority.

Maybe realist, as well.  But I still remember when the switch flipped back home and a combination of cultural pressure, exorbitant (Super Fund) cleanups  and big-ass fines reduced the litter problem significantly.  Heavy on the big fines.

I am not blaming the majority of Thais for the corruption of some Government officials - that was just to illustrate the problem that exists from the top all the way down the chain. If the average Thais see their "superiors" not giving a toss about the environment, then why should they? 

However, I do agree with you regarding the "big fines". How about starting with the ones who have been given money to solve the problem in the first place? The ones who supply (and then take away) the wheelie bins? And the people who have been given money to fix problems, which seems to have been "misappropriated" ? Start with them by getting them to replace/supply adequate wheelie/rubbish bins, and then dish out hefty fines to people who do not use them. If there is nowhere to put the rubbish, then who can blame someone for just throwing it in the gutter, or some hidden corner of the beach? 

Edited by sambum

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 2:25 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Excellent, I hope the local authorities take note and are more severe with those who litter and more supportive of those who make efforts to clean the beaches. I also hope locals take note, help and join in. 

Recent events show how spectacularly pristine many areas of Thailand can be given a level of incentive and once their apathy is removed, it is an example of what can be achieved by all. 

Littering is a blight on society, it is simply unnecessary. With that said, much of the beach litter is washed in and that is a major issue which needs addressing internationally. 

[And, as this is ThaiVisa.com some muppet will be unable to help them self from making a 'work permit' comment. Don't, in your attempts to seem intelligent and knowledgable you will just come across as petty and dumb !]

Back when I visited Chaweng, I always took a bag to pick up the garbage on the beach when I took my early morning walk ( no social media then so never on facevomit or any other media ), and the vast majority of it was industrial waste from sea dumping. The most alarming though was broken glass from imbeciles that refused to pick up their rubbish after getting pissed. Singapore style caning would  be a good idea for those leaving glass bottles on public beaches.

On 11/3/2017 at 1:08 AM, PoorSucker said:

They came half way to Koh PhanPhangan after one month, then they figure out that Koh PhanPhangan is an island then they are waiting outside can-am, where to go next..... 

This is the islands forum, make stupid questions on Pattaya forum. 

Dirty beaches are not the sole preserve of Koh Phangan it's global. My question was posed to highlight the inefficiency of those paid to do a job. Stupid? 

• 4 weeks later...

While merit goes out to those who were involved in this i must add how embarrassing it is for the local authorities.  If they would stop stuffing their bank accounts with monies that should be spent on things like beach cleaning crews then tourists wouldn't have to be doing what they did.  I do find this pathetic and it reflects badly on Thailand.

13 hours ago, pattayadgw said:

While merit goes out to those who were involved in this i must add how embarrassing it is for the local authorities.  If they would stop stuffing their bank accounts with monies that should be spent on things like beach cleaning crews then tourists wouldn't have to be doing what they did.  I do find this pathetic and it reflects badly on Thailand.

They don't care how embarrassing it is! While they are sitting in their air conditioned Mercs and BMW's, it is giving them all a laugh at the expense of the "stupid farangs" who spend approximately the equivalent of a Thai's wage for 6 months on a flight and holiday for the "privilege" of cleaning Thai beaches. 

15 hours ago, sambum said:

They don't care how embarrassing it is! While they are sitting in their air conditioned Mercs and BMW's, it is giving them all a laugh at the expense of the "stupid farangs" who spend approximately the equivalent of a Thai's wage for 6 months on a flight and holiday for the "privilege" of cleaning Thai beaches. 

Absolutely correct but what a dreadful reflection this is on Thais.  Rather than being embarrassed they think its amusing!!  Proper third world mentality.

3 hours ago, carmine said:

Absolutely correct but what a dreadful reflection this is on Thais.  Rather than being embarrassed they think its amusing!!  Proper third world mentality.

3 hours ago, carmine said:

Just another reason why it always will be until they "change from within"!