Accidentally got the wrong visa (1yr IB)

Accidentally got given the  wrong  category visa (IB)  instead of a 1yr  married spouse visa I applied for

Does it make any difference or should I go and get it changed to the correct one at chang wattana asap? 

(I don't work in Thailand anyway so it makes little difference to me) 

• Like 1

Where was you visa issued?

It might never be a problem unless you need to do something at immigration.

It will take a couple of trips to the Department of Consular affairs on Chaeng Wattana road to have the visa category changed. They will have to contact the embassy or consulate it was issued at to confirm it was an error.

20 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Where was you visa issued?

It might never be a problem unless you need to do something at immigration.

It will take a couple of trips to the Department of Consular affairs on Chaeng Wattana road to have the visa category changed. They will have to contact the embassy or consulate it was issued at to confirm it was an error.

They did it at Vientiane but I had no problem coming back into bkk with it

Its just the wrong type of visa than i applied for..... 

Screenshot_20171102-171213.png

Assuming you live in Bangkok, I cannot imagine this ever causing a major problem. If you want an extension of stay on the basis of living with your Thai spouse, I think they can do it on the Non B (though other offices may tell you they cannot, forcing you to arrange the visa change).

1 hour ago, speedtripler said:

They did it at Vientiane but I had no problem coming back into bkk with it

You wrote you got a one year visa and that would mean a multiple entry visa. Vientiane does not issue multiple entry visa so I assume you only have a single entry visa that is on valid for 3 months from the date of issue.

16 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You wrote you got a one year visa and that would mean a multiple entry visa. Vientiane does not issue multiple entry visa so I assume you only have a single entry visa that is on valid for 3 months from the date of issue.

Yes, it says single entry

But it also says the expiry date is in October 2018. :) 

Its no problem to go and change it if necessary , I live close  to bkk immigration 

21 minutes ago, speedtripler said:

Its no problem to go and change it if necessary , I live close  to bkk immigration 

In theory, you have a Non-Imm type visa, so it would be fine to get the 1-year extension from it based on Retirement, Marriage, etc.  But if they won't do it, below is another forum-member's experience changing the visa-type:

• Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

If he wanted to leave Thailand to travel and return, would he be required to show a WP to get a re-entry permit at immigration and/or going through border crossings?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

No. Category 'IB' isn't issued for work/business.

You have an Investment Visa

2.3   Non-Immigrant Visa Category “IB” (Investment and Business Visa)  is issued to foreign citizens employed to work on  investment projects which are under the auspices of the Board of Investment of Thailand (BOI).  Such projects must be involved in or bring benefit to Thailand in the following ways:
- Export-promotion
- Increasing employment
- Utilising local raw materials
- Projects engaging the provinces
- Encouraging technology transfer to Thai nationals
- Not hindering existing domestic businesses

5 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

If he wanted to leave Thailand to travel and return, would he be required to show a WP to get a re-entry permit at immigration and/or going through border crossings?

Except for those with permanent residence (where the procedure is rather different) the process for getting a reentry permit is simple. The requirements are:

• Completed TM8 form
  • One photopgraph
  • 1,000 baht for single reentry permit and 3,800 baht for a multiple
  • (At some immigration offices, but not at airports on departure) proof that a TM30 notification was made

The type of visa used to enter Thailand, and type of any extension, has no bearing on the requirements for the reentry permit to keep your permission of stay intact.

8 hours ago, BritTim said:

Except for those with permanent residence (where the procedure is rather different) the process for getting a reentry permit is simple. The requirements are:

• Completed TM8 form
  • One photopgraph
  • 1,000 baht for single reentry permit and 3,800 baht for a multiple
  • (At some immigration offices, but not at airports on departure) proof that a TM30 notification was made

The type of visa used to enter Thailand, and type of any extension, has no bearing on the requirements for the reentry permit to keep your permission of stay intact.

Do you need to show a work permit to extend this type of  IB visa ? 

(because I don't have one and that would be enough reason to go and get it changed) 

52 minutes ago, speedtripler said:

Do you need to show a work permit to extend this type of  IB visa ? 

Not if you extend the 90 day entry from it based upon marriage.

No sure what immigration will say when your apply for the extension since the non-ib visa is not that common.

On 11/2/2017 at 6:39 PM, speedtripler said:

If you go to have it changed, you need to go to the Dept of Consular Affairs(MFA). It is up on the 3rd floor, desk 150 I think. The info desk on the 2nd floor may say you need to go to immigration but just say its upstairs.

The guy will ask a load of questions and want to keep your passport while they investigate, initially he told me 3 days. I got it done on the same day as I had been for an extension and been refused by immigration and had a very short window on the bank letter.

Its not a busy desk but closes 15.30.

7 minutes ago, sandyf said:

If you go to have it changed, you need to go to the Dept of Consular Affairs(MFA). It is up on the 3rd floor, desk 150 I think. The info desk on the 2nd floor may say you need to go to immigration but just say its upstairs.

The guy will ask a load of questions and want to keep your passport while they investigate, initially he told me 3 days. I got it done on the same day as I had been for an extension and been refused by immigration and had a very short window on the bank letter.

Its not a busy desk but closes 15.30.

Already did it, they changed it with a pen lol

Just scribbled over the ib and wrote O beside it and official stamp etc 

Entire thing took 20 min and no charge, very impressive 

(but yes, information on the second floor tried to tell me I was in the wrong building and suggested to go the immigration building) 

Seems like the 2nd floor don't know what they do on the third floor.... 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, speedtripler said:

Already did it, they changed it with a pen lol

Just scribbled over the ib and wrote O beside it and official stamp etc 

Entire thing took 20 min and no charge, very impressive 

(but yes, information on the second floor tried to tell me I was in the wrong building and suggested to go the immigration building) 

Seems like the 2nd floor don't know what they do on the third floor.... 

Good to hear. I went about 2 weeks ago, was there about  hour and a half as they tried to get through to the London Embassy. When it got to 15.30 I thought I had had it but then he said they would do it. Once they decided it didn't take long and as you say no charge. The only downside is the visa conversion stamp has used up a passport page.

Last comment is spot on. My wife said they told her that the visa desk upstairs was for Thai people.

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

was there about  hour and a half as they tried to get through to the London Embassy

I have always been curious as to whether the MFA officials have ways of contacting the London Embassy that are not available to those making regular inquiries. It seems the answer may be that they are as helpless as we are.

16 hours ago, BritTim said:

I have always been curious as to whether the MFA officials have ways of contacting the London Embassy that are not available to those making regular inquiries. It seems the answer may be that they are as helpless as we are.

I have no doubt that certain depts have 24 hour contact but in this case the staff concerned would have just been coming to work. The London visa dept opens at 09.00 and the MFA closed half an hour later.

I suspect that it was more to do with the way they operate that prevented a fairly quick response, they always seem to be surrounded by mountains of paperwork.

24 minutes ago, sandyf said:
16 hours ago, BritTim said:

I have no doubt that certain depts have 24 hour contact but in this case the staff concerned would have just been coming to work. The London visa dept opens at 09.00 and the MFA closed half an hour later.

I suspect that it was more to do with the way they operate that prevented a fairly quick response, they always seem to be surrounded by mountains of paperwork.

The UK was still on British Summer Time when the incident occurred, so the overlap was actually 90 minutes. That said, maybe you are correct, and the problem was a chaotic paperwork system rather than an inability to get in contact at all.

On 11/5/2017 at 9:15 AM, BritTim said:

The UK was still on British Summer Time when the incident occurred, so the overlap was actually 90 minutes. That said, maybe you are correct, and the problem was a chaotic paperwork system rather than an inability to get in contact at all.

Yes they were on BST and by my reckoning the difference between 09.00 and 15.00 was the 6 hour time difference.