Video: Millions view shocking school violence as teacher appears to attack student

webfact

Video: Millions view shocking school violence as teacher appears to attack student

epm.jpg

Picture: video screenshot

Widely shared footage online showed a person who appeared to be a teacher mercilessly attacking a young student at his desk.

It is not one clip around the ear - the person repeatedly uses his fists to attack the boy.

When a friend appears to try to help he too is attacked.

Then he goes back to the boy's desk and yanks him to the floor.

Others look on.

Posters on the "Shotded" page were in no doubt that the man involved was a teacher though the location of the incident is not yet apparent.

Many angry commentators called for retribution against the person responsible.

The short clip has been vied 3.2 million times with 6,000 shares and many thousands of comments.

Source: Facebook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-11-09

Warning: content may be disturbing to some viewers

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beat an adult up in public and receive whatever punishment the law here decides is appropriate (which it rarely is).

Beat up a poor defenseless child in the so called sanctuary that is a school, as the guardian and protector of that child in school, and it all gets brushed under the carpet or the teacher is moved to a different post. Absolutely abhorrent in a nation that 'claims' to be Buddhist. 

Where's Khun Prayut with his strict moral code the all powerful 44? 

I feel another standard 500 baht fine is in order. Thats one mental teacher eh. Maybe the kid was a dick but even so as a teacher the reaction is ott. Yet another story in a Thai skool that will be brushed under the carpet, forgotten inside a week.

It's difficult to keep children and teenagers interested and focused on a topic.

Maybe the teacher in question lacks the necessary skills to teach the youth of today? Or maybe the student on the receiving end of the beating is simply disruptive and rebellious by nature and the teacher simply had enough? We'll never really know.

Either way, violence - especially at that level - simply isn't acceptable in today's society. 

We don't know if this student was persistently disobedient, disruptive and riotous in class. It is not acceptable for a student or a small number of students to disrupt classes to an extent that it has an adverse affect on the other well disciplined students' learning and class time. 

Some form of punishment is necessary to teach people where the boundries are. 

Edited by djayz

21 minutes ago, djayz said:

It's difficult to keep children and teenagers interested and focused on a topic.

Maybe the teacher in question lacks the necessary skills to teach the youth of today? Or maybe the student on the receiving end of the beating is simply disruptive and rebellious by nature and the teacher simply had enough? We'll never really know.

Either way, violence - especially at that level - simply isn't acceptable in today's society. 

We don't know if this student was persistently disobedient, disruptive and riotous in class. It is not acceptable for a student or a small number of students to disrupt classes to an extent that it has an adverse affect on the other well disciplined students' learning and class time. 

...oh...that was fast!

"Or maybe the student on the receiving end of the beating is simply disruptive and rebellious by nature and the teacher simply had enough? We'll never really know."

And we don't need to!

If a teacher is not able to control himself and starts beating a kid like that, all we need to know, is that he will never be allowed near any kid again!

There are plenty of ways to discipline children- beating the #@$% out of them is not one of it!

49 minutes ago, djayz said:

Violence is not discipline.

It is very easy to keep children focused, all it takes is to ensure your planning takes in the needs and abilities of the children.

I've taught over 25 years and have never struck a child.

2 hours ago, darksidedog said:

What passes for discipline in Thai schools is an utter disgrace. If ever I have witnessed a school room incident where someone deserves to be charged by the police this is it. This teacher needs to be sacked and jailed.

agreed, whatever the provocation, this chain of actions is well over the line; again exposes the fragile thai male ego

1 hour ago, DM07 said:

...oh...that was fast!

"Or maybe the student on the receiving end of the beating is simply disruptive and rebellious by nature and the teacher simply had enough? We'll never really know."

And we don't need to!

If a teacher is not able to control himself and starts beating a kid like that, all we need to know, is that he will never be allowed near any kid again!

There are plenty of ways to discipline children- beating the #@$% out of them is not one of it!

What are you on about?! "Oh that was fast". 

Were you in the classroom when this happened? 

There are ALWAYS two sides to every story - unlike a lot of people here, I like to keep an open mind on these matters. 

No, the teacher shouldn't have laid a single hand on the student, but it's important to find out and understand "why" he did what he did. 

This isn't the first time we've seen or read about this happening in schools here. The question is, why is it happening? What can be done to reduce/prevent it from happening before some child is seriously injured or worse... 

Are the teachers here so stressed and if so, what's causing that stress? In order to be able to solve a problem, you must first understand what it is and what's causing it. 

As I wrote in my initial response, "Either way, violence - especially at that level - simply isn't acceptable in today's society."

54 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Violence is not discipline.

It is very easy to keep children focused, all it takes is to ensure your planning takes in the needs and abilities of the children.

I've taught over 25 years and have never struck a child.

I agree completely - I've been teaching here for 8 years and have never lost my temper - not once in 8 years. 

Just to make things clear, I never said or suggested that violence is discipline. 

But teachers who melt down like this must be assessed and the root of the problem must be addressed - otherwise it'll never end. 

Just now, djayz said:

I agree completely - I've been teaching here for 8 years and have never lost my temper - not once in 8 years. 

Just to make things clear, I never said or suggested that violence is discipline. 

But teachers who melt down like this must be assessed and the root of the problem must be addressed - otherwise it'll never end. 

For me I'd say the root of the problem is that this teacher isn't very good or has major anger issues.

48 minutes ago, djayz said:

There are ALWAYS two sides to every story - unlike a lot of people here, I like to keep an open mind on these matters. 

No, the teacher shouldn't have laid a single hand on the student, but it's important to find out and understand "why" he did what he did. 

This isn't the first time we've seen or read about this happening in schools here. The question is, why is it happening? What can be done to reduce/prevent it from happening before some child is seriously injured or worse... 

Are the teachers here so stressed and if so, what's causing that stress? In order to be able to solve a problem, you must first understand what it is and what's causing it. 

As I wrote in my initial response, "Either way, violence - especially at that level - simply isn't acceptable in today's society."

there is one story here not 2 sides.

a teacher beat the crap out of 2 students, in full view of the class, in school.

there are no extenuating circumstances.

but for the fact one child was actually bold enough to video it, he would be free to continue this kind of behavior at will.

As for your rehashing your last remark, the ambivalence there is clear - personally i cant think of any society, today's or yesterday's or tomorrow's, where such outright violence is "simply" acceptable.

i would love to hear your take on domestic violence or child abuse, which this almost certainly is.

Edited by HooHaa

Think he forgot to read the Memo..................................

Schools Corporal punishment was prohibited in schools in 2000, when the Regulation on the Punishment of Students 2000 did not include caning among permitted disciplinary measures. This was subsequently revised and the Ministry of Education Regulation on Student Punishment 2005 similarly does not include corporal punishment among permitted disciplinary measures. Article 6 of the Regulation states (unofficial translation): “It is prohibited to punish pupils and students with violent methods or with harmful, angry or revengeful intention….” The Regulation on the Promotion and Protection of the Rights of Children and Juveniles in Educational Establishments 2000 states in article 8: “Punishment of children and youth must not be carried out with torture or harsh treatment to the body or mind, by cruel, humiliating, inhumane means, or in any inappropriate manner.”

2 hours ago, DM07 said:

Waiting for the first comment, that "the brat probably deserved it" and "teachers used to beat us to a pulp regularly and it didn't harm me...back in the days, when men were still men..."

:coffee1:

Congratulations. You just posted the first such comment. 

2 hours ago, djayz said:

Obviously, the students are allowed to use phones in class. If the teacher wants control of the class, let them use their phones for educational purposes....with regulation of course. Most teachers don't know how to integrate technology into the classroom though. 

55 minutes ago, djayz said:

That was fast, was referring to my other post just above this one!

And: no...we don't need to hear both sides of the story and why the teacher did, what he did!

It is quiet simple, but since you don't get it...let me explain!

No action by the kid -whatsoever- should "allow" any teacher (eg a person in a position of power), to smack the living s41t out of a student!

End of!

There is no wiggle room here!

If you are a teacher, no action should get you this point!

If it does, you are unfit to be a teacher!

I don't care, what the student did: there are ways to discipline children, that don't include physical violence!

Full stop!

I also don't need to hear the side of a rapist or a sex- offender, what probably brought him to do, what he did!