A dogless Society

mikebell

I have just returned from a family holiday, landing at Phuket airport.  As is customary here we were ripped off by the female taxi driver who rudely threw back my directions map to the nearby hotel as she did not understand it (it was in Thai.)  After driving aimlessly about until her meter read 200 baht we arrived.  The following day we returned to meet my family coming from UK.  The hotelier took us, free of charge; it took him 63 seconds door to door!

Our party of six went firstly to Ao Nang which was a delightful resort bustling with European tourists.  Coming from near Pattaya where packs of diseased and deformed dogs roam, I was amazed to see NO DOGS!  This delight continued on Koh Lanta where a local foundation performed 1000 sterilisations the previous week.  (This figure was quoted to my daughter who visited the sanctuary.)  Again there was a super-abundance of European tourists spending their holiday baht.  

I am of the opinion that there is a direct correlation between the numbers of Western tourists and the dearth of dogs.

Nope. There's a direct correlation between religion of the locals and the amount of stray dogs.
Muslim = No stray dogs.
Buddhist = Loads of stray dogs.

Ao Nang and Krabi in general has a high percentage of Muslims. 
Exactly.
Muslims even throw baits out and poison them.
They aren't shy to admit it either.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, KarenBravo said:

Nope. There's a direct correlation between religion of the locals and the amount of stray dogs.

Muslim = No stray dogs.

Are u saying Muslims eat stray dogs?

2 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

Muslim = No stray dogs.

Try Songkhla.  Predominately Muslim and lots of stray dogs... 

BTW, I love the place in spite of the stray dogs, and because of the lack of in-your-face sex tourism.  It is done discretely, mind you...

29 minutes ago, impulse said:

Try Songkhla.  Predominately Muslim and lots of stray dogs... 

BTW, I love the place in spite of the stray dogs, and because of the lack of in-your-face sex tourism.  It is done discretely, mind you...

Just Googled Songkhla and it says 75% of the population is Buddhist.

1 minute ago, KarenBravo said:

Just Googled Songkhla and it says 75% of the population is Buddhist.

In that case, I stand corrected. 

The headscarves on so many of the female food vendors and their customers threw me off.  

8 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Kill and eat perhaps? Anyway stray dogs looks third world. U want a dog? Pay tax and on a leech only.

Dogs only on a leech is too far away from present day habit to be considered a viable option.

AoNang was originally a Muslim village, hence very few feral dogs. Since about 20yrs ago, Many non -Muslims from the north have moved there for work. Yet their known neglect of canines thankfully has not accompanied them to the south.

2 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Are u saying Muslims eat stray dogs?

2 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

No, not at all.

Muslims consider dogs as unclean and dirty.

They kill them.

Plus, as you say, "Muslims consider dogs as unclean and dirty" - so they don't own them in the first place.

Which makes Moslem dominated areas in Thailand far more suitable for those who seriously dislike/hate soi dogs.

7 hours ago, sebastion said:

Exactly.
Muslims even throw baits out and poison them.
They aren't shy to admit it either.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

As do Thai 'Buddhists". Some 'Buddhists' cruelly kill dogs and eat them for which there is a great deal of info out of Northern Thailand and other countries in Asia, yet no comment from you???

I'm currently living in a predominately Muslim area of Pattaya, unfortunately way too many diseased looking dogs wandering around having been deserted by guess who...

Edited by simple1

15 hours ago, simple1 said:

As do Thai 'Buddhists". Some 'Buddhists' cruelly kill dogs and eat them for which there is a great deal of info out of Northern Thailand and other countries in Asia, yet no comment from you???

I'm currently living in a predominately Muslim area of Pattaya, unfortunately way too many diseased looking dogs wandering around having been deserted by guess who...

If its like living in Phuket, foreigners, they regularly abandon dogs and cats where we live and a few people take them in and care for them thai and expat

Foreigners should be banned from having pets if they cannot prove they are long term residents and intend to look after them properly

21 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

No, not at all.

Muslims consider dogs as unclean and dirty.

They kill them.

Hmmm. You mean that certain sects have been brow beaten and indoctrinated into believing dogs are unclean? If the dogs are unclean it is because the people allow them to be unclean. I know of a couple of Muslims in Indonesia who have pet dogs. 

Saluki is a Persian greyhound. Most Persians are Muslims

Afghan hound comes from ??? and they are mostly Muslim. 

Even Mohammed, peace be upon him, had dogs. 

49 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Hmmm. You mean that certain sects have been brow beaten and indoctrinated into believing dogs are unclean? If the dogs are unclean it is because the people allow them to be unclean. I know of a couple of Muslims in Indonesia who have pet dogs. 

Saluki is a Persian greyhound. Most Persians are Muslims

Afghan hound comes from ??? and they are mostly Muslim. 

Even Mohammed, peace be upon him, had dogs. 

Indonesia practice a very relaxed form of Islam.

I think you'll find that Salukis and Afghan hounds were in existence in those countries well before the advent of Islam.

Both are hunting dogs and were owned by the rich for sport for that very reason.

Don't believe all the articles that Google brings up that confirms my statement. Go ask a Muslim if they consider dogs as unclean, or impure.

On 11/12/2017 at 8:57 AM, KarenBravo said:

Muslim = No stray dogs.

or vietnamese 

23 hours ago, simple1 said:

dogs wandering around having been deserted by guess who..............Well, I am not good at guessing and have no idea what you are inferring too  -  who do you think deserted them??

Asians have been eating dogs for centuries, breed them specially for that purpose - just like we breed rabbits, cows, chickens, goats etc etc etc...........why should that bother you??

I hate to disagree but there are many many stray Soi dogs in Ao Nang.

obviously the OP was in the wrong places.

Noperhatara beach has quite a few which is why I stopped jogging there.  The area around monkey beach has a lot as does the Ao Namao road near the Police Station.  Obviously the temple has quite a few too.

the Koh Lanta animal welfare place comes to Ao Nang and rounds up and sterilises strays as often as they can.

5 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

dogs wandering around having been deserted by guess who..............Well, I am not good at guessing and have no idea what you are inferring too  -  who do you think deserted them??

Asians have been eating dogs for centuries, breed them specially for that purpose - just like we breed rabbits, cows, chickens, goats etc etc etc...........why should that bother you??

Woosh...

On 12/11/2017 at 4:46 PM, simple1 said:

Why would killing a dog to eat it be wrong. Dogs are just big cows. Smaller and thus more manageable, but mostly dogs are just big cows. 

Few people have shivers of guilt  when encountering a delicious medium rare cow steak?

I'm not ok with cruelty, but there is abundance of free range dogs in Thailand, which have enjoyed a rather happy and free life, before their final breath. 

My point is that different cultures and different people relate to different animals in different ways.

Most of the western people think eating a dog is wrong. Most, if all muslims think eating a big is wrong.. same goes to hindus and other religions (cultures mainly). 

Why would anyone who eats chicken or fish be on higher moral ground condemning someone who is is eating a dog or a horse?

I make often fun of the vegans, who are the jiddahist of the vegetarians. I would be quite an hypocrite if I wouldn't make fun of the people who refuse to eat big, cow, dog or horse simply because of their cultural and religious reasons. 

13 hours ago, oilinki said:

Why would killing a dog to eat it be wrong. Dogs are just big cows. Smaller and thus more manageable, but mostly dogs are just big cows. 

Few people have shivers of guilt  when encountering a delicious medium rare cow steak?

I'm not ok with cruelty, but there is abundance of free range dogs in Thailand, which have enjoyed a rather happy and free life, before their final breath. 

I think you have your head screwed on wrong, dogs don't eat grass unless they are sick, dogs eat meat whenever possible, I have cows, never seen one eat a steak.........:coffee1: