Road deaths rocket by 3,000 as Thailand set to be named world number one in carnage, say academics

snoop1130

7 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Easy. The number of vehicles on the road HAS increased beyond reckoning and it's all road rage, Thai style. My wife certainly tries to kill several every time she get angry while driving, and the last time we were in the car together I refused to let her drive because I wanted to survive the trip.

Road rage,hmm as long you fine them only 500bt instead of kicking them into prison as long you have road rage

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

Yes correct,but if papa not pays the fine then he will sit in monkey house and the next time his kids will use a helmet.It's easy,if I don't want to  get a ticket then I keep the rules.But as long those who should be a good example breaking the rules as long.........................

So, you want Thai people to starve and get thrown out of their house to satisfy your desire for people to do what YOU think is right. Yuk. Maybe you don't know this, but if a poor man is in the monkey house he's not working and he's not getting paid and his family exists pay to pay. NO SAFETY NET for poor people in Thailand.

News flash- Thailand is not Germany, and a damn good thing too.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

So, you want Thai people to starve and get thrown out of their house to satisfy your desire for people to do what YOU think is right. Yuk. Maybe you don't know this, but if a poor man is in the monkey house he's not working and he's not getting paid and his family exists pay to pay. NO SAFETY NET for poor people in Thailand.

Stop drama,nobody will starve but life of majority will improve if less traffic casualties happen,and this is not my desire this is the desire of most people in Thailand,

12 minutes ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

yes,because police don't care,actually nobody cares and that's the problem.A few months ago I bought a motorcycle for my daughter including a helmet.She doesn't like to wear the helmet because nobody wears a helmet.I told her if she needs to ride her mc then only with helmet.She probably takes it off at the next soi but it makes me feel better I see her wearing it when she leaves home

because police don't care,actually nobody cares and that's the problem.

It's only YOUR problem. No Thai person cares that you think they should care. Jai yen, jai yen.

Just now, mrmicbkktxl said:

Stop drama,nobody will starve but life of majority will improve if less traffic casualties happen,and this is not my desire this is the desire of most people in Thailand,

Exactly! So let the good people of Thailand sort it out without throwing hundreds of thousands of them in jail.:stoner:

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

because police don't care,actually nobody cares and that's the problem.

It's only YOUR problem. No Thai person cares that you think they should care. Jai yen, jai yen.

My mother taught me to be nice to everybody so I decided not to reply to your last comment,have a wonderful day,hmm and yes 'jai yen,jai yen'

2 hours ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

Which tough measures?Anyway you can impose whatever you want,if nobody enforces the laws it brings nothing.1year US highway patrol or German traffic police in Thailand would improve the situation drastically.Driving on wrong side 10000bt and 3months dl away,3times caught without dl gives you a month prison just for example

Dont forget the Aussie cops I knew one that actually booked his grand mother for Jaywalking But Thailand should say ok The keystone cops cant stop it lets get some help to save lives

6 hours ago, Kawapete said:

When you arrive in a new country: Look at how traffic works and you have a pretty good picture of how the country is run....

:thumbsup:Hear hear, truth have to be said and its not so much about driving, fines or Police enforce the law, unfortunately it sit a bit deeper than that:wai:

18 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Not sure if the bad economy got anything to do with the increase in 2016. Money hard to come by and drivers are doing more shifts and less sleep to make ends meet. Maybe even drinking more to ease their misery and behind the wheels. There must be a logical reason. The junta government has been imposing tough measures and still the accidents piled up. 

Yes, that's right Eric. All the fault of the Junta. Thailand never had a driving problem before - :clap2:

Sophistry of the Year Post !! 

Let's pretend the economy's dire too. 

The reason Eric, is more traffic, less patience as more people rushing, people driving unsafely - speeding, ignoring traffic signals and laws, lane jumping, queue jumping, DUI, and the unfortunate bad "me first, you must move out my way" attitude that seems very common here.

Add to that motorcyclists who might be under age, don't wear helmets, don't respect any traffic laws and drive as if their charmed in some way. 

The ever increasing number of vehicles doesn't help either.

I see examples of appalling driving every day here. Many Thais I know grumble about the driving standards too. 15 years ago I lived in India. The driving their was much worse. Not sure if that's improved much. Another expat there told me Russia was much worse. 

There seems a number of countries, where for a raft of reasons, people just won't obey traffic laws, drive like they own the roads and believe they are immune to accidents. In most of the countries like this, other laws are also treated with little respect too.

22 minutes ago, HHTel said:

Not true.  A long way to go to catch Libya.

I don't know what the death rate is in Saudi, but in the 90s some of them couldn't drive to save themselves. I made the mistake of taking a Saudi driven taxi once and he scared the **** out of me. Even a Thai minivan driver would be safer.

Mind you, his driving would have been safe compared to the Sri Lankan van driver I mistakenly hired for the day.

I blame those Thai people selling them dangling flower arrangements at traffic lights. Without those they would not feel immuned from any accident that may happen. Along with the fact that some buy so many they cover their rear view mirror. 

1 hour ago, transam said:

sad-face.gif.9b8464ca89cf0d00b94da5c9751a7afd.gif.....Chummy, the BiB taking cash from folk in LOS on mass for doing daft stuff on the roads will make an instant impact.....Money is the key....

Totally out of context and shows you don't understand the concepts behind improving road safety in Thailand.

Corruption is endemic throughout Thai life from the lowest to the highest and is a factor in getting anything done but stopping the police from taking a couple of hundred baht on imagined infringements will achieve next to nothing.

Reviewing how where and when police set up road blocks could save a few lives though.

31 minutes ago, balo said:

The stats shows that if you live in Chonburi you have a pretty good chance of ending up dead. I have seen 2 deadly accidents here myself but I do not drive much around.

Interestingly Chonburi and Rayong are the industrial heartland and have some of the biggest straightest and "best" roads in the country - now why would that affect the death rates?

Half of all the crashes in Thailand are in BKK yet less people die - so why does that happen?

22 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Yes, that's right Eric. All the fault of the Junta. Thailand never had a driving problem before - :clap2:

The reason Eric, is more traffic, less patience as more people rushing, people driving unsafely - speeding, ignoring traffic signals and laws, lane jumping, queue jumping, DUI, and the unfortunate bad "me first, you must move out my way" attitude that seems very common here.

Add to that motorcyclists who might be under age, don't wear helmets, don't respect any traffic laws and drive as if their charmed in some way. 

I see examples of appalling driving every day here. Many Thais I know grumble about the driving standards too. 15 years ago I lived in India. The driving their was much worse. Not sure if that's improved much. Another expat there told me Russia was much worse. 

There seems a number of countries, where for a raft of reasons, people just won't obey traffic laws, drive like they own the roads and believe they are immune to accidents. In most of the countries like this, other laws are also treated with little respect too.

Bloody hell Russia is worse wow What do 2 cars drive down the wrong side of the road there at once

Just now, Happyman58 said:

Bloody hell Russia is worse wow What do 2 cars drive down the wrong side of the road there at once

The man that told me that was a former RAF officer who was posted to the British Embassy in Russia. He then went to India.

I didn't drive in India - my company wouldn't allow it and provided a car and driver 24/7 so I had no excuse to try! But it was total chaos on the roads, especially at rush hour with no one following the rules and little respect for the poor traffic police trying to sort it out. I saw bodies on the road with alarming regularity.

My friend did drive himself in India and previously in Russia. So I bow to his experience based comments.

3 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

The man that told me that was a former RAF officer who was posted to the British Embassy in Russia. He then went to India.

I didn't drive in India - my company wouldn't allow it and provided a car and driver 24/7 so I had no excuse to try! But it was total chaos on the roads, especially at rush hour with no one following the rules and little respect for the poor traffic police trying to sort it out. I saw bodies on the road with alarming regularity.

My friend did drive himself in India and previously in Russia. So I bow to his experience based comments.

Well maybe i should grin and bare the police here? Just sometimes when you see stupidity it gets u a bit hot under the collar Maybe just put the head down and not look To be honest i have seen more accidents here than when i was driving for 40 years  in Australia

21 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

Interestingly Chonburi and Rayong are the industrial heartland and have some of the biggest straightest and "best" roads in the country - now why would that affect the death rates?

Half of all the crashes in Thailand are in BKK yet less people die - so why does that happen?

Most accidents happen in Bangkok when traffic is nearly at a standstill and not moving till one Thai driver loses patience and thinks me me me first and it causes an accident

1 minute ago, Happyman58 said:

Well maybe i should grin and bare the police here? Just sometimes when you see stupidity it gets u a bit hot under the collar Maybe just put the head down and not look To be honest i have seen more accidents here than when i was driving for 40 years  in Australia

Yep. I drove a lot in Europe, obviously throughout the UK, but also France, Germany, Netherlands and Belgium for some time. 

I see far more accidents here. But also, India, UAE (where I did drive),  and Saudi Arabia. The latter two were down to the boy racer mentality of people with powerful cars. Certainly the police in the UAE have cracked down significantly and it;s much better their now.

I find, as with a lot of things, so much polarization in driving ability and attitudes here. Just keep calm!

19 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Let's face it, it was only a matter of time, and will probably stay top for quite a while.

Road safety in Thailand is tackled in a childish naivety! If the Police were serious to reduce road casualties they would

• introduce speed cameras and fine and ban those that exceed the speed limit;
  • scrap any vehicle that is unsafe;
  • road blocks to check that drivers have passed a driving test and are insured;
  • all unlicensed and uninsured drivers will have their cars scrapped.

Road blocks are currently set up to stop all foreigners who are driving and fine any that do not have an International Driving Licence (obtained by payment); that they hold their countries' driving licence (20+ times more onerous than the Thai driving test) is immaterial. As I say, childish naivety -- how can a so-called emerging country bring itself into the 21st century with the mentality of this and previous governments?

35 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

I understand what your saying BUT the 'junta' is the Government today and what are they doing about mitigating road trauma? Much talking but little action (apart from fudging figures) unfortunately.

Sure, past governments have done little or nothing about past driving problems but they cannot do anything now either.

Not true.  A long way to go to catch Libya.

I wonder how long is a “long way” because whilst Thailand’s road death rate is increasing, appears Libya’s death toll is DECREASING:

IMG_1585.PNG

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wikileaks-files/libya-wikileaks/8294692/DEADLY-DRIVING-HABITS-ACCIDENTS-THIRD-CAUSE-OF-DEATH-IN-LIBYA-TRIPOLI-00000939-001.2-OF-003.html

19 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Not sure if the bad economy got anything to do with the increase in 2016. Money hard to come by and drivers are doing more shifts and less sleep to make ends meet. Maybe even drinking more to ease their misery and behind the wheels. There must be a logical reason. The junta government has been imposing tough measures and still the accidents piled up. 

The junta government has been imposing tough measures "

That statement is almost laughable:giggle: a 500 baht fine and a slap on the wrist will never teach these people to drive with consideration to other road users

9 minutes ago, Chiang Mai Bill said:

Road safety in Thailand is tackled in a childish naivety! If the Police were serious to reduce road casualties they would

• introduce speed cameras and fine and ban those that exceed the speed limit;
  • scrap any vehicle that is unsafe;
  • road blocks to check that drivers have passed a driving test and are insured;
  • all unlicensed and uninsured drivers will have their cars scrapped.

Road blocks are currently set up to stop all foreigners who are driving and fine any that do not have an International Driving Licence (obtained by payment); that they hold their countries' driving licence (20+ times more onerous than the Thai driving test) is immaterial. As I say, childish naivety -- how can a so-called emerging country bring itself into the 21st century with the mentality of this and previous governments?

Why do you assume the police are, or have any desire to be, serious? Mai pen rai.

Road blocks to "stop foreigners" have never been encountered by me in many years of driving, even in Chiang Mai. They are to stop Thais, but if any farang is stupid enough to give them an excuse to fine them, it's their own fault. It's known that one needs an IDP as well as a foreign D L- I knew that over 20 years ago, before the internet.

I certainly hope your desire to make LOS just like the over regulated nanny state I come from never happens.

7 minutes ago, Gregster said:

I wonder how long is a “long way” because whilst Thailand’s road death rate is increasing, appears Libya’s death toll is DECREASING:

IMG_1585.PNG

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wikileaks-files/libya-wikileaks/8294692/DEADLY-DRIVING-HABITS-ACCIDENTS-THIRD-CAUSE-OF-DEATH-IN-LIBYA-TRIPOLI-00000939-001.2-OF-003.html

There's a government in Libya?????????????????????? 555555555555555555555.:sorry:

Archived