So whats wrong with your home country

Once Bitten

Well at yet another weekly meeting of our local expats gang and again some thought provoking subjects came up in the conversation. 

One guy talked about how he had just managed to sort out a visa for his pregnant Thai wife and they were now moving to his home country to live after being in Thailand for around seven years . One of several reasons why the guy had decided to return home was to do with providing their soon to be born child with a better education and future . In his words , to get away from all the madness that  Thailand had become. We all wished him and his wife the best of luck and promised to stay in touch to see how the move was working out.  Then several others commented on how in no way would they ever want to return back to their home country to live . So I just said why not ,  whats wrong with your home country.

Out of the assembled gang I would say over half of them were in the same frame of mind , no way would they ever want to permanently return home ,  yes they would return for medical treatment and if there was a family bereavement or  illness , but to go back home to live . No way .

Then I was asked if I would ever consider returning home to Dear Old Blighty .  My answer was - Yes I would .

Personally my story is a well trodden path to my present situation , as a divorced man I came to Thailand on holiday after hearing about all the delights on offer . I fell in love , married and moved to Thailand permanently, but and here's what seems a little the different  . When I left my home country to live in Thailand on a permanent basis with my Thai wife   , I left behind a life that I would describe as pretty good  . I was happy with most things about my home country , yes I did moan about rising costs and stuff like red tape , rules and regulations . But on the whole I was contented with my life style and what my home country had to offer.  My Thai wife has parents who are both infirm so the prospect of us moving to my home country and her leaving them behind is the reason we have not by now moved .

So I'm now wondering are there many other forum members that live in Thailand who dislike their home country so much that they would never ever consider returning back home to live ,  even if they were in a position to do so , and if so what don't you like about your home country .

On the other hand are there other forum members that like me that reside in Thailand , but still feel that their home country is a great place to live .

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm from England - 62, in decent shape, i can't imagine where i would start to find a woman ( forget girl) in my home city of Derby,which is a dreadful place, maybe knocking on the doors of a few " old people's homes " would be the best way to start - yes it really is that bad....

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I would have loved to be the fly on the wall with a meeting of some expats.....just some old farts bitching and moaning......lol...???

I probably would have fit right in....like the flavor of the day....?

My my main complaint...at the moment....LOS is just too damn far away....7,526 Miles as the crow flies....and the 13+ flying time to the West Coast gets harder by the year....and than you have to do a rebound  back this way.....??

I am from the UK and have a property in central London. I loved London as a city whilst i was living and working there but i cannot easily imagine a retired life there. Temperatures may not suggest London is that cold but so many  wet and windy days when it is really uncomfortable to be outside. My future may or may not be in SE Asia but i lwould prefer to be in some warmer climates in Southern Europe than UK. South America also beckons to be explored more. Everyone is different but Cornwall or Isle of Wight in an English winter would have absolutely no appeal.

5 hours ago, Once Bitten said:

So I'm now wondering are there many other forum members that live in Thailand who dislike their home country so much that they would never ever consider returning back home to live ,  even if they were in a position to do so , and if so what don't you like about your home country .

I don't think (in my case anyway) it has anything to do with disliking my home country, or even liking Thailand more. Things happen during everyone's life on individual basis that lead to decisions being made that are more complicated than where you actually live. I also think a lot depends on what sort of life you have lead as well and what that life consisted off. Also where you are in your expected life cycle..................:smile:

In my case I came to Thailand for a 6 month kick-back holiday after a 23 year commitment to the armed forces of the UK. Twenty years later and I am still here; party time played out, married for the last 18 years, full time employment, own house, own car, etc, etc. In fact, this is the longest period of my life that I have been in the same place since (and including) leaving 'home' at the age of 15.

One of my observations though over this time has been that some people are more concerned about geographical placement than getting on with their lives where they want to live. Don't believe in thinking of the past, but more living in the now. 

Edited by chrisinth

6 hours ago, Once Bitten said:

whats wrong with your home country.

IMO UK went to the dogs years ago, for me being retired from my point of view UK is expensive the weather rubbish, no good for retirees and now immigrant dustbin.

In 14 years England has changed for the worst. Now it's so Politically Correct that I would get arrested for harmless banter. It's too cold and expensive to live in and virtually impossible to get a Visa for my wife of 13 years to even visit yet alone settle in. Best to be an illegal immigrant they get much more rights than me. I even would have to be in England for 6 months before I could get NHI treatment Even though I pay more than £2,000 a year in tax. 

2 minutes ago, JusticeGB said:

In 14 years England has changed for the worst. Now it's so Politically Correct that I would get arrested for harmless banter. It's too cold and expensive to live in and virtually impossible to get a Visa for my wife of 13 years to even visit yet alone settle in. Best to be an illegal immigrant they get much more rights than me. I even would have to be in England for 6 months before I could get NHI treatment Even though I pay more than £2,000 a year in tax. 

Oh dear, just when it was all going so nicely.

If you meet the financial requirements for a Settlement visa, why is it virtually impossible to get one? What rights do "illegal immigrants" have?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

If you meet the financial requirements for a Settlement visa, why is it virtually impossible to get one? What rights do "illegal immigrants" have?

I meet the financial requirements have you seen the non refundable cost of even applying! 

2 hours ago, transam said:

Must confess that if I had not lost everything via a messy divorce and a medical prob made worse by the UK climate l would still be there. ...But not in London...

I would be in Cornwall or the Isle of Wight....:stoner:

I work 6 months on the South Coast opposite the IOW and spend 6 months in Thailand.

Hope to continue that residency pattern when they put me out to grass.

You'd like it there:

http://www.solent-renegades.co.uk/members/transamdan-albums-solent-renegades-end-of-seasoin-show-2017-a-picture8

20 minutes ago, JusticeGB said:

It may have changed for the worst but to say an illegal immigrant has more rights is tosh 

8 minutes ago, JusticeGB said:

I meet the financial requirements have you seen the non refundable cost of even applying! 

Why is the fact the cost of application is non-refundable the problem? Or is it the cost of the application? However, neither seem "virtually impossible" when you have the financial requirements. The immigrant rights may be difficult to understand, but they are no doubt covered under different laws. 

I am from the UK - here are the reasons I wouldn't go back-

1.  Climate - too piggin' cold and I lived on the south coast

2.  Cost of living - here I don't work - in England it would be survive on my pension or go to work to live.

3.  Can't smoke in the bars

4.  Too much 'political correctness' - it does my head in

5.  Too many immigrants both legal and illegal

Having said all of that I do still have my house in the UK, so I could go back if I wanted to.  at the momnet it's a NO.

In the USA, what's "wrong" for me is basically about --

-- lack of public transportation in most of the country

-- high cost of housing in any place decent but not horrible

-- political and racial divisions

-- difficulty of access and/or high cost of health care 

-- guns, guns, guns

-- the current government and president

-- floods, tornadoes, earthquakes, and hurricanes. Oh my!

-- restaurant prices

-- torrents unfriendly zone

Edited by Jingthing

My homecountry is full will blacks arabs muslims and fake refugees.
So i feel more at home in Asia.
Euro governments especially German Sweden France Netherlands Belgium have destroyed it all. U can have ur mixed society right  in ur ..:  where the sun don't shine.

This thread is degenerating fast!