Weed killer residues found in popular vegetables and fruits

rooster59

Weed killer residues found in popular vegetables and fruits

thaipan.jpg

More than 60% of five “popular vegetables” sold in local markets contain excessive level of harmful chemical residues, according to a testing by Thailand Pesticide Alert Network (Thai-PAN), a non-governmental organisation working on food safety.

The finding was from recent testing on 150 samples of nine vegetables and six types of fruits collected in August from nine markets in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Khon Kaen, Pathum Thani, Ratchaburi and Songkhla, three major retailers, and four supermarkets.

Vegetables and fruits selected for testing are:

• Five popular vegetables: Khana (Chinese kale); Tua Fak Yao (long bean); Prik Dang (red chili); Bai Kaprao (basil leaves); and Kalam Pree (cabbage)
  • Four popular local vegetables: Bai Bua Bok (pennywort); Cha-om (climbing wattle); Tam Lueng (ivy gourd); and Sai Bua (lotus stem)
  • Six fruits: grape, papaya, banana, coconut, pineapple, and dragon fruit

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/weed-killer-residues-found-popular-vegetables-fruits/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-11-26

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Ms Kingkorn added that the network planned to sue the Department of Agriculture for failing to protect the consumers by allowing the use of paraquat for six more years despite a proposal by the Public Health Ministry to ban the weed killer due to its health hazards"

Hearts in the right place love.Good luck with suing the Department of Agriculture

Who ever eat any vegetables grown in this country without thoroughly

to wash them first is taking a big risk with his health,

the health welfare of the consumer is not paramount on the minds of

the policy makers, as long as they get the farmers of their backs and

allow them them to knowingly poison the public.... 

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

Who ever eat any vegetables grown in this country without thoroughly

to wash them first is taking a big risk with his health,

the health welfare of the consumer is not paramount on the minds of

the policy makers, as long as they get the farmers of their backs and

allow them them to knowingly poison the public.... 

Washing vegetables is of course good.

However....chemicals are taken up in the root and leaf of the vegetables, which washing won't remove.

1 hour ago, Dave67 said:

"Ms Kingkorn added that the network planned to sue the Department of Agriculture for failing to protect the consumers by allowing the use of paraquat for six more years despite a proposal by the Public Health Ministry to ban the weed killer due to its health hazards"

Hearts in the right place love.Good luck with suing the Department of Agriculture

Suing the Dept. of Agriculture is tantamount to suing the military. Article 44 will soon fix any pesky non-governmental organisations like Thailand Pesticide Alert Network from making trouble for any part of the PM's empire. 

I suspect Ms Prokchol  and Ms Kingkorn have had bookings made for them at the Re-Education Restort for giving publicity to the failure of the Dept. of Agriculture.

Conveniently there is a new minister for this Department so the PM can lay the blame at the feet of the "retiring" minister. 

Why would anyone be surprised at this? Visit any farm in Thailand, and there are people spraying this stuff around like crazy. Washing won't do much good, it's inside already. Tesco is  British company, why are they selling contaminated products? There is also the risk to the sprayers, who wear no masks, many of these chemicals are highly carcinogenic. 

"More than 60% of five “popular vegetables” sold in local markets contain excessive level of harmful chemical residues..."

However, there are no laws or enforcement agencies to prevent someone from marking these same vegetables as "organic" and being sold as a safe and healthy alternative to those that are contaminated. Oh yes...at higher prices. 

Edited by jaltsc

Last time I was at Tesco I saw massive carrots from China which must have been on steroids. I bought the Aussie carrots instead as I'm sure they would be a safer bet.

There is no statement that says all the produce tested was grown in Thailand.

only that it was sold in local markets.

People shouldn't take too much notice of fruit and vegetables advertised as ORGANIC. I remember reading an article in TVN a year or so back where Organic Certification could be purchased over the counter easily by an under the counter payment. Nothing unusual I suppose in the Land of the Envelope.

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

excessive level of harmful chemical residues,

quite a few years ago, my usa girlfriend was studying in mortuary school and she told me that recently deceased human bodies were rotting a good less less quickly in our generation as they had ingested so many preservatives over their lives

1 hour ago, pokerface1 said:

Last time I was at Tesco I saw massive carrots from China which must have been on steroids. I bought the Aussie carrots instead as I'm sure they would be a safer bet.

Yes I buy those . They are the same as at Makro & Big C . They look good when you buy them , but after one day they start to cave in & rot . So I only buy 2 or 3 pieces and eat them the same day.

Is there anything safe left to eat in Thailand , except for some expensive ( non Chinese) imports ?

27 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

quite a few years ago, my usa girlfriend was studying in mortuary school and she told me that recently deceased human bodies were rotting a good less less quickly in our generation as they had ingested so many preservatives over their lives

They drank formalin?

2 hours ago, BuaBS said:

I don't get the picture . Does it mean the cabage (0/10) has 0 score or 0 residue and the beans ( 9/10) the worst or best ?

the thai GF thinks 0/10 is not good and 9/10 is better so stay away from cabbage

5 hours ago, Dave67 said:

BioThai have a website in English and definitely seem to have their hearts in the right place if their latest article is anything to go by.

http://www.biothai.org/node/1428

5 hours ago, Dave67 said:

It's the same way they handle the use of asbestos here. Declared as health hazard, banned in may countries, including Thailand, but nothing happens. Maybe in both cases the policy: "Bringing health hazards to the people" appears.

2 hours ago, BuaBS said:

Yes I buy those . They are the same as at Makro & Big C . They look good when you buy them , but after one day they start to cave in & rot . So I only buy 2 or 3 pieces and eat them the same day.

Is there anything safe left to eat in Thailand , except for some expensive ( non Chinese) imports ?

I'm more suspicious of the ones you buy and look good two months later on...

I stick to frozen veggies from New Zealand, available in Chiang Mai.   There are similar mixed vegs from China, but they taste different and I am not so sure about their pesticide rules.

1 hour ago, Xonax said:

Only vegetables and fruits from MARKETS are tested, so can we assume that vegetables and fruits bought in supermarkets are safe???

The finding was from recent testing on 150 samples of nine vegetables and six types of fruits collected in August from nine markets in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Khon Kaen, Pathum Thani, Ratchaburi and Songkhla, three major retailers, and four supermarkets.

He would be proud :giggle:

Einstein_laughing.jpg

Edited by stanleycoin

5 hours ago, BuaBS said:

I don't get the picture . Does it mean the cabage (0/10) has 0 score or 0 residue and the beans ( 9/10) the worst or best ?

Long beans are supposedly the worst and the chemicals can't be washed off. Sad as I love them!

14 minutes ago, masuk said:

I stick to frozen veggies from New Zealand, available in Chiang Mai.   There are similar mixed vegs from China, but they taste different and I am not so sure about their pesticide rules.

China is as bad or even worse than Thailand. 

We use a ozone generator in the water to wash vege and fruit before putting them in the fridge. It also seems to prolong the storage life of the vegetables.

Ozone helps remove any chemical build up or pests on the vege and fruit.