Noisy bike gate: Video footage shows attack on Swiss man in Pattaya

webfact

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, nausea said:

I wonder what would've happened if he'd wai'ed the guy before turning off the bike, the Thai'd been confused for sure. 

I'm not sure but it looked like he may have wai'ed after the Thai guy hit him and he fell off the seat, both his hands went towards his head

The Swiss made the young Thai to lose face, and we all know what happens next. "The Thai came back to the scene with a piece of wood in his hand "

If the Swiss just tried to learn something about Thai culture he shoild avoid young male Thais , they can be killers, so just mind your own business and live another day.

5 minutes ago, balo said:

The Swiss made the young Thai to lose face, and we all know what happens next. "The Thai came back to the scene with a piece of wood in his hand "

If the Swiss just tried to learn something about Thai culture he shoild avoid young male Thais , they can be killers, so just mind your own business and live another day.

live another day, or two.  :stoner:

On 11/28/2017 at 5:29 PM, Destiny1990 said:

The idiot bike driver was killing the lungs with exhaust fumes of the guy sitting on the bench. He probably said turn it off thai guy not understands English so he turns it off..

now he get punched in the head from behind and well case closed i guess. But the thai should be in jail and pay all medicall bills and a polluting fine on top!

i believe you have something here;

i have experienced this a number of times;

thais , as they generally are totally ignorant that other people exist, care not one wit that they irritate,are rude to or disgust others, exhaust from cars,trucks,motorbikes,motorcycles can be seen as an accident or can be seen as intent

20 hours ago, andersonat said:

A year ago, a house was being built diagonally opposite to my house. A truck belonging to a member of the construction-team was parked in front of my house and the engine was kept running for 30 minutes.

- I suffer from asthma.

I was walking towards the empty truck [to turn off it's engine] when someone (the Driver ?) appeared out of the building site, saw my approach  ...  and he returned to the truck and turned off the engine.

Q: What do you think that I *should* have done ?  --- Move further along ??

A crane truck or a concrete mixer must keep its motor running while stationary to be able to operate properly. Would you go and turn my truck of while I am unloading with my crane?

Would you come and turn my truck off while I am waiting to get into a building site to pour my load of concrete.

You would very quickly be arrested for interfering with my vehicle

1 hour ago, YetAnother said:

i believe you have something here;

i have experienced this a number of times;

thais , as they generally are totally ignorant that other people exist, care not one wit that they irritate,are rude to or disgust others, exhaust from cars,trucks,motorbikes,motorcycles can be seen as an accident or can be seen as intent

Most Thais are fine but this one clearly not and he should be in jail and pay all bills. His violent reaction is totally absurd. Why was his engine on in the first place??

8 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

Ok, so, if it's not on cctv, for you it did not happen.

Again, unlikely.

We could argue about the meaning of " unattended bike " but i guess it's simply a slight translation blunder.

I didn't say that, what I did say was that there was no evidence of it on CCTV, as the lying Swiss claimed.  It may yet turn up, let's see.

Arguing about the meaning of 'unattended bike' would be pointless unless you think that unattended bike means anything other than unattended bike.  Guessing that it's simply a slight translation blunder when there is no evidence of that either is clutching at straws.  Why not guess that the translation is accurate?

Given the language barriers and misunderstandings that can occur it might be wise to try and film your police interview. I'm sure it's forbidden but I can't help thinking mistakes get made all through the chain, not just the actual incident.

20 hours ago, Kadilo said:

He is a guest in another country. You mind your own business and these things don't happen. You go round thinking you set the rules, invade other peoples space and touch their property and this is what happens. Most sensible people know this and keep themselves to themselves. Only people like the Swiss guy and the internet Rambos types want to trigger confrontation.

That said there is no justification for coming back and clumping him with a lump of wood (if indeed that is what happened ).

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

You are right about minding your own business, but what's being a "guest" got to do with anything? I wish people would stop throwing around this word, it means nothing and makes no difference to the case. Fact is if another Thai man had done the same thing to the owner of the motorcycle, he would have had his head smashed in just the same as this Swiss guy; same if it was a Cambodian man or a Burmese man or an African man or if the victim was a white man but the perpetrator a Thai. If a white American man had done this to the white owner of a motorcycle in the USA, he would have had a gun drawn on him just the same. Same if he was black, a foreigner with a weird accent, a woman whatever.

The problem is nosey westerners who always like to get involved in other people's business. This particular incident is even more bizarre because it didn't happen at the Swiss guy's home, nor did it disturb his sleep, the Thai guy didn't block his driveway or in any way infringe upon his personal liberties yet he chose to go at the guy nonetheless.

I'm absolutely stunned whenever I hear stories about neighbors in western countries ratting each other out to the police or local council (district, county, municipality, city) because one of them decided to paint their side of the fence, or had the audacity to mow the lawn at 8.59am instead of waiting until 9am or something else utterly ridiculous. In Thailand people just leave each other alone. Which is the way it should be like everywhere and it's the way I like it.

1 hour ago, Rc2702 said:

Given the language barriers and misunderstandings that can occur it might be wise to try and film your police interview. I'm sure it's forbidden but I can't help thinking mistakes get made all through the chain, not just the actual incident.

Why would it be forbidden?

12 hours ago, Jonmarleesco said:

When excessive noise is being imposed on you, the miscreant makes it your business.

So you would risk a beating just because you are a self-righteous white guy who hates noise? If you hate noise so much, you shouldn't be in Thailand. Besides, what harm can come from having to endure 2 minutes of an idling motorcycle especially if the incident occurred far away from home while you're at a 7-11. What normal people do when they are somewhere that's too noisy is to leave immediately, which is what I do.

I also would never choose to stay overnight at a friend's house or hotel room in a location that I know will be noisy.

13 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

There is a general rule of thumb in Thailand. A westerner can never, ever win a fight in this country. If you kick someones butt, you lose. If they kick your butt, you lose. So, just avoid altercations. They are our hosts. It is their country. We are their guests. I have found most Thai people to be quite polite, and rarely ever aggressive, like they can be in the US, and in the UK. But, if you get in their face, or show them enough disrespect, you get what is coming to you. This guy crossed the line. Turning off this guys bike, while he was sitting on it, was just really bad judgment. Dumb. Stupid. Ignorant. Arrogant. Petty. Silly. Churlish behavior. Asking the guy to turn off his bike, while he was idling may have been ok. But reaching over the man, to turn it off himself. Dumb. Really dumb. And then, after the guy gave him a slap up the side of the head, reporting this to the media just made him look like even more of a fool, than he already was.

Let us face it. This guy is a loser. Plain and simple. He really needs to get a life. I do not condone violence. But, this guy did not really hurt the Swiss man. He just slapped him hard, according to this video, at least.

Good comment and you're right on the money but I have to again point out that you shouldn't make this an "us vs. them" thing, because it's not. If another Thai person had infringed upon the personal liberties of this guy the result would have been the same. As you say, in the west there are generally a lot more aggressive people than here and consequently, if you were to repeat this exact same scenario in a western country the result would likely be as ugly, if not uglier than what happened here.

What went wrong was apart from the Swiss guy being a dick and exercising extremely poor judgement is what are known as "cultural differences". Swiss people (European people generally) are direct and can be confrontational. My granddad used to speak of a neighbor who was upset about saps from his pine tree falling on the neighbor's property. One day the neighbor came over with a plastic bag filled with those saps and demanded my granddad hire a gardener to cut down the tree! The "gardener" who came was my dad. Although it might not sound that bad, but this kind of confrontational approach would scare and intimidate a Thai. Given an identical scenario, the best approach is to calmly and kindly talk to your neighbor about what's wrong and then try to work together for a solution that will leave both parties satisfied.

I think the Swiss man was either completely clueless about the cultural differences between Europeans and Thais or he just had a "bad Thai day". Either way, he lost some of his dignity.

Over the years I've been reading about countless examples of idiocy committed by Swiss citizens abroad, especially in Thailand but also other countries. From the Swiss graffiti man who defaced MRT trains in Singapore (who was sentenced to 10 lashes of the cane and then deported), to the drunk Swiss guy in Chiang Mai who defaced a portrait of HM the King a few years ago and now this guy. Whoever said Swiss people are the "cream of the cream" of westerners is seriously mistaken.

What an idiot. Original article stated that the engine was "left running" and a "Thai man later came back". Not the case at all.

500 Baht fine for assault.

500 Baht fine for riding on the pavement (I know right)

5,000 Baht fine for turning off the motorbike :saai:

12 hours ago, Russell17au said:

A crane truck or a concrete mixer must keep its motor running while stationary to be able to operate properly. Would you go and turn my truck of while I am unloading with my crane?

Would you come and turn my truck off while I am waiting to get into a building site to pour my load of concrete.

You would very quickly be arrested for interfering with my vehicle

It wasn't a crane-truck or a concrete-mixer.

It was a regular 10-wheel truck that had already been emptied of it's delivery-load to the building-site, and for a period of 30 minutes there was no-one either sitting in the cabin, or in attendance around the vehicle.

You are inventing/imagining excuses.

On 28/11/2017 at 7:18 PM, jenny2017 said:

This guy is obviously not one of the POPE'S guards.

It's not about switching the guy's bike off. It's how he does it. And I don't know if I'd tolerate that. 

Yes. A bit of sign language with a smile might have achieved the desired outcome. If not just plain simple patience in waiting for the Thai guy to move on; no doubt in less than 5 minutes.

10 hours ago, jimster said:

Good comment and you're right on the money but I have to again point out that you shouldn't make this an "us vs. them" thing, because it's not. If another Thai person had infringed upon the personal liberties of this guy the result would have been the same. As you say, in the west there are generally a lot more aggressive people than here and consequently, if you were to repeat this exact same scenario in a western country the result would likely be as ugly, if not uglier than what happened here.

What went wrong was apart from the Swiss guy being a dick and exercising extremely poor judgement is what are known as "cultural differences". Swiss people (European people generally) are direct and can be confrontational. My granddad used to speak of a neighbor who was upset about saps from his pine tree falling on the neighbor's property. One day the neighbor came over with a plastic bag filled with those saps and demanded my granddad hire a gardener to cut down the tree! The "gardener" who came was my dad. Although it might not sound that bad, but this kind of confrontational approach would scare and intimidate a Thai. Given an identical scenario, the best approach is to calmly and kindly talk to your neighbor about what's wrong and then try to work together for a solution that will leave both parties satisfied.

I think the Swiss man was either completely clueless about the cultural differences between Europeans and Thais or he just had a "bad Thai day". Either way, he lost some of his dignity.

Over the years I've been reading about countless examples of idiocy committed by Swiss citizens abroad, especially in Thailand but also other countries. From the Swiss graffiti man who defaced MRT trains in Singapore (who was sentenced to 10 lashes of the cane and then deported), to the drunk Swiss guy in Chiang Mai who defaced a portrait of HM the King a few years ago and now this guy. Whoever said Swiss people are the "cream of the cream" of westerners is seriously mistaken.

well said. we have to be able to adapt. we are in their country. one of the things I like so much about being here, is the difference in culture. manners, and the fact that the place is so foreign, so alien, so unpredictable. to me, that is refreshing. and occasionally I have to remind myself of that, instead of getting annoyed by it. so, I often repeat the mantra, "water off a ducks back, water off a ducks back". It works. why get annoyed, when we can see it as amusing, and refreshing? I find most Thai people to be really kind, gentle, and pleasant to be around. Certainly when compared to most Americans back in that God forsaken land where I come from. 

1. If y decide to benefit from a road side food stall you agree to bare the down sides. There are enough alternatives.

2. I wonder how this Swiss guy would react if a tourist in Switzerland, lets say a rich Arab, would dare to 'interfere' in the operation of the Swiss vehicle?

3. Unfortunately, this kind of incidence provide pretext to restrict further the street side food stalls.

12 hours ago, jimster said:

"I have to again point out that you shouldn't make this an "us vs. them" thing, because it's not. If another Thai person had infringed upon the personal liberties of this guy the result would have been the same."

"What went wrong was apart from the Swiss guy being a dick and exercising extremely poor judgement is what are known as "cultural differences". Swiss people (European people generally) are direct and can be confrontational." 

Agree entirely.  Westerners would also get angry if someone 'took charge' over their vehicle/property.  The only difference is that they would be more likely to hurl insults with a lot of pushing/shoving involved, which may evolve into punches being thrown - as opposed to hitting the offender unaware.

Anyone, anywhere acting in the way of this Swiss guy is asking for trouble.

3 hours ago, andersonat said:

It wasn't a crane-truck or a concrete-mixer.

It was a regular 10-wheel truck that had already been emptied of it's delivery-load to the building-site, and for a period of 30 minutes there was no-one either sitting in the cabin, or in attendance around the vehicle.

You are inventing/imagining excuses.

You were going to interfere with someone elses property that you have NO legal right to do. Simple as that

12 minutes ago, balo said:

Well , he will never do that again , lesson learned I guess, 

But some people will never learn the lesson that you do not interfere with another persons property, if you do then you must be prepared to accept the penalty for doing so

10 minutes ago, andersonat said:

You must have grown up in a country which had a lot of laws, and also,  a lot of law-enforcement. 

That's right, you touch my truck, I ring the police and you get arrested. Even here you do not have the legal right to touch another persons property

On 28-11-2017 at 9:51 PM, pegman said:

Well smart guy the next time something like this happens to you do as the Swiss guy did then. We will enjoy reading about it on here.

No, i'm a big boy, people like me the leave alone. :passifier:

Archived