Israeli sentenced to death in Thailand for murdering fellow expat

rooster59

Israeli sentenced to death in Thailand for murdering fellow expat

By TOI STAFF

Shimon-Bitan-640x400.jpg

Israeli Shimon Biton (r), convicted of murder of another Israeli, Eliyahu Cohen, in Bangkok, Thailand on November 12, 2016. (Screen capture: Walla News)

Shimon Biton, a former police informant, admitted to killing 62-year-old Eliyahu Cohen and burying his body under concrete

A court in Thailand Thursday sentenced to death an Israeli former police informant who admitted to murdering another Israeli man in a fit of jealousy.

Shimon Biton, 50, who has served time in both Israeli and Thai jails, admitted to killing 62-year-old Eliyahu Cohen and burying parts of his body in freshly poured concrete under the stairs in his Bangkok home last November, according to Hebrew media reports.

Biton was arrested along with his 17-year-old son when police found traces of blood in their house and then discovered some of Cohen’s remains in concrete at the pair’s home, and some in a suitcase also discovered at the house.

Biton, who has a long criminal record, told police he had killed Cohen, who was reported to be a good friend of his, in a fit of jealousy after discovering that he had had an affair with Biton’s girlfriend.

Full story: https://www.timesofisrael.com/israeli-sentenced-to-death-in-thailand-for-murdering-fellow-expat/

THE TIMES OF ISRAEL: 2017-12-02

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, binjalin said:

It's nonsense they never carry it out for even child rapists and murderers. Therefore it's more 'face saving' with little substance.

it will be a life sentence in a Thai prison then, probably worse than death. He is obviously a nasty piece of work.

Totally missing from this report is the fact that his wife who was at the center of the affair has been missing and also presumed murdered.  He refuses to say where the body is, pointedly spiting her family in denying them the opportunity to give her a proper burial.

1 hour ago, CARBO said:

Seems fair to me.

fair?? how is it fair when a thai can commit the same crime and admits his guilt and then get his sentence reduce to half or a death sentence changed to life imprisonment? 

true he deserves death but i would hardly use the word fair. 

I just don't understand men who feel the need to resort to violence when a mate sleeps with "their" girlfriend/wife, the female is not their possession, the mate, is a mate who has urges like any other human male, the accused included, so why not just walk away and say to one self, you know what, I have no control of what happens in my life, and I have to accept whatever outcome there will be in my life, and during my journey in this life, expect betrayal form all close to me, including girlfriend/wife/mate, and if during that journey I am not betrayed, all the better my life will be.

In my opinion for what its worth, a woman will only sleep with your mate if she is either attracted to him, is a tramp who only looks out for herself, or is not satisfied with how you have treated her as a human.

Can't say he doesn't deserve to get what he is about to get, perhaps in his next life he would have learned, as for his girlfriend, well, one can only try to accept that a snake is a snake, is a snake, and one always need to handle a snake with care and be prepared for that bite.

Image result for picture of a snake taking a bit

The last execution in Thailand was in 2009. The last time a foreigner was executed was a long time before that. Many are still given the death sentence but it is usually commuted to life imprisonment almost immediately or within the first year, usually after a Royal Decree (I believe that happens on the King's birthday and possibly some other auspicious occasions as well).

If Thailand has a Prisoner Transfer treaty with Israel, the prisoner can apply for a prison transfer after a set period of time. He is required (by law) to serve a portion of his sentence in Thailand and it is expected that if a Transfer is approved, the prisoner would serve the remainder of the original sentence in his home country.
However, as some have found out the hard way, just because they've applied for a Transfer and it has been approved by their home country, it doesn't mean they automatically get transferred. There is a committee of some very senior (Thai) people that review each request and decide whether or not to approve it.

(A Canadian murderer recently found this out. He'd been given at least one life sentence for murder and after serving just 5 years he applied for a Transfer back to Canada. The Liberal "Public Safety Minister" immediately approved it, despite the severity of the crimes and the fact the prisoner was a career criminal (in Canada). The prisoner (and his lawyer) actually thought that he should be immediately sent back to Canada and then released !! After just 5 years ! After he'd murdered a young woman, mutilated her face to try and hide her identity, dismembered her body, threw the pieces into a swamp and then fled back to Canada hoping they wouldn't figure out he was the culprit. They had decided that 5 years in a Thai prison was punishment enough for his crimes ! I wrote a number of very nasty emails to different newspapers and the Minister himself over that, not that it was likely to make any difference. The Liberals seem to love criminals above all others but as far as I can tell, Thailand hasn't approved the Transfer request so the prisoner will be sitting in Thai prison for many years to come I think.)

35 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

Tragic that he has not only killed one person and now faces death, but he has also dragged his s.on into it and ruined his life too. I have no sympathy for him, but I do for the young man, who I suspect was a reluctant accomplice

What makes you "suspect (the son) was a reluctant accomplice."

31 minutes ago, thesetat2013 said:

fair?? how is it fair when a thai can commit the same crime and admits his guilt and then get his sentence reduce to half or a death sentence changed to life imprisonment? 

true he deserves death but i would hardly use the word fair. 

Ah yes, the ever-present Death Penalty Critics!

1 hour ago, binjalin said:

It's nonsense they never carry it out for even child rapists and murderers. Therefore it's more 'face saving' with little substance.

many countries have death sentences but do not carry out the death penalty.

21 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Why this one gets death sentence for a single murder and others don't?

I can think of a couple of recent cases:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/thailand-man-sentenced-death-rape-murder-young-girl-on-train/

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/australian-kickboxer-sentenced-to-death-for-murder-of-hells-angels-bikie-in-thailand-20170207-gu7jt8.html