Passenger train rams at herd of buffaloes killing 21 in Nakhon Sawan

webfact

Passenger train rams at herd of buffaloes killing 21

By Thai PBS

0712003train.jpg

A passenger train from Chiang Mai to Nakhon Sawan rammed at a herd of stray buffaloes on Wednesday night killing 21 of them.

The incident happened at about 8.00pm last night as the train running from Pak Nam Pho railway station was about two kilometres before arriving at Nakhon Sawan railway station.

The incident delayed the train for almost three hours as some of the train wheels jumped off the tracks and some cars were damaged.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/passenger-train-rams-herd-buffaloes-killing-21/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-12-07

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A sad fact of life is that livestock wanders and trains don't steer or stop quickly, luckily the buffalo herder wasn't on the tracks trying to rescue his charges too.

Now, what happens when a high speed train comes across a chang at 350kph? There's going to be one pissed-off elephant and one very flat train driver.

Rammed at a heard of Buffaloes ?   Strange headline .. You ram something but never " rammed at " 

The headline makes it sound as it was a deliberate act by the train driver.

Also the accident happened at night so I assume the buffaloes had no lights on them so being a very dark animal I doubt the train driver even saw them

Makes a change from killing Thai buffaloes that drive pick-ups  across the tracks  

2 minutes ago, johncat1 said:

Every-time I see the " Narrow Gauge " railway lines in Thailand I wonder how trains actually stay upright here

It's not narrow gauge, it's meter gauge.

While the Northern Line was originally build as 1,435 mm (4 ft 8 12 in) standard gauge, the line was regauged after 1919 and the State Railway of Thailand now operates entirely on 1,000 mm (3 ft 3 38 in) gauge, including international through services to Malaysia and Laos.  wiki

Most of southern Africa runs on meter gauge.

Derailments can happen on any gauge depending on the mass of the objects the train hits and other factors..

Thailand's railway is significantly safer than the roads.

Train slams into Nakhon Sawan buffalo herd, killing 21

By The Nation

9c682df165f4835c6057c5b6e5be5f4e.jpeg

Photo from Nakhon Sawan Rescue Unit 401 Facebook page.

A Chiang Mai-Nakhon Sawan passenger train ran into a herd of water buffalo in Nakhon Sawan on Wednesday night, killing 21 of the animals and knocking some cars off the rails.

Police said the accident took place at 8pm, about two kilometres from Nakhon Sawan station.

It was 11.40pm before the carcasses were removed from the track and train cars replaced on the rails so the journey could resume.

Police were on Thursday still trying to determine who owned the buffalo.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30333388

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-12-07

this is what happens when the owner/farmer doesnt give a sh*t about anything, they know trains travel through but do nothing about where their animals are. Loss of  his animals and a big fine to cover all the damaged they caused should make him realize he has to take responsibility for what he does or doesnt do, something a lot of thais do not accept. 

I remember driving on highway 24 Ubon towards Korat, and at what I think is Buriram territory there is a weighing station.

The highway at that location is 2 or 3 lanes in each direction with central reservation, so cars go fast there, and if I recall correctly after all those years there is a curve right past the weigh station.

I look for a nano second at a truck that is parked inside the weigh station, and when I look up again there is a herd of buffaloes running over the road from right to left .

I still don't know how I avoided a full collision, because the only way to avoid that was going in front of the herd over the soft shoulder, but I did it.

20 minutes ago, seajae said:

this is what happens when the owner/farmer doesnt give a sh*t about anything, they know trains travel through but do nothing about where their animals are. Loss of  his animals and a big fine to cover all the damaged they caused should make him realize he has to take responsibility for what he does or doesnt do, something a lot of thais do not accept. 

It isn't often I agree with you, but I do in this instance. Round my way they have fenced off the railway, but already sections of the fence have been prised open for cattle to once again graze beside the track...

4 hours ago, johncat1 said:

Rammed at a heard of Buffaloes ?   Strange headline .. You ram something but never " rammed at " 

The headline makes it sound as it was a deliberate act by the train driver.

Also the accident happened at night so I assume the buffaloes had no lights on them so being a very dark animal I doubt the train driver even saw them

Makes a change from killing Thai buffaloes that drive pick-ups  across the tracks  

I think 'at' may just be typo. ... rams a herd.....rather than ...rams at herd.....

4 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

While the Northern Line was originally build as 1,435 mm (4 ft 8 12 in) standard gauge, the line was regauged after 1919 and the State Railway of Thailand now operates entirely on 1,000 mm (3 ft 3 38 in) gauge, including international through services to Malaysia and Laos.  wiki

Derailments can happen on any gauge depending on the mass of the objects the train hits and other factors..

Therefore they are 1.435 METRES.     

South Africa runs on METRE gauge.

5 hours ago, worgeordie said:

The villagers near by,will be having steaks today.

just wait till they get the hi speed trains !

regards worgeordie

Fast food??????

:sorry:

5 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

Hate to see what sort of  management is put in place for a  1/2 Km each side of the per-way buffer zone for a H/Speed rail , you need this otherwise cattle will panic and stampede with the high pitched screaming noise.

27 minutes ago, chainarong said:

Hate to see what sort of  management is put in place for a  1/2 Km each side of the per-way buffer zone for a H/Speed rail , you need this otherwise cattle will panic and stampede with the high pitched screaming noise.

With the inevitable encroachment and constant flooding the pragmatic thing to do would be to put it above the ground and bare the extra cost now rather than the inevitable larger costs as it <deleted> up....but pragmatic to a thai polyshitcan is filling his boots as much and as fast as he can..