EU to resume political contact 'at all levels' with Thailand

webfact

43 minutes ago, jayboy said:

After the coup there was a sharp reaction from the US, Japan and Europe given the miltary's power grab from a democratically elected government.(Pedants, spare us boring messages about the small print.I know the detailed history but a quick summary is needed)

Over time Japan, the US and now the EU more or less caved in.Here are the reasons.Firstly the Thailand regime is not a violent one.Secondly there was a poll of sorts that went the Junta's way.Thirdly there's an awareness that an amoral and rising China will take advantage if the West is inflexible.Fourthly Thailand remains under any conceivable government a friendly power.Fifthly the regime may be unsavory but it has promised elections in 2018.Despite the rigged constitution this is seen as better than nothing.Sixthly there are too many other frigging foreign policy problems without having to worry about Thailand - which isn't a threat to anybody.

Your comparison with N.Korea is  a fatuous highlight in what in my view is a profoundly stupid post.Other Asian countries spurn lectures from Western democracies - Vietnam,China,Cambodia,Malaysia,Indonesia,Myanmar.Western democracy isn't seen as a model these days - partly for good reasons (hello Donald) and partly for rotten ones (corrupt bullying elites throughout the SE Asian region who don't want popular participation in politics.More importantly the perc eived link between democracy and prosperity seems weaker or even broken now.

Nice post.... excepting, of course, where you call my post profoundly stupid. ????

my comparison to N. Korea should have carried the caveat you wisely included.... pendants, spare us messages about the small print, I know the history but a quick example is needed ? (in which case it would not have been a fatuous point???)

the point i was making is that other countries can (and should) sit in judgement. You make the point elsewhere that there are other countries that are worse than Thailand, which is true.... but do we excuse thieves, because murderers are worse?

international trade, economics, cooperation etc etc etc, is open to international scrutiny.... and in some cases, where this scrutiny uncovers “issues”, Further dealings with the country can garner such charges of treason...( reapply my revised version of your caveat here.... I know that’s way OTT)

but again... nice post, even if it does not address the point of my reply

8 minutes ago, farcanell said:

the point i was making is that other countries can (and should) sit in judgement. You make the point elsewhere that there are other countries that are worse than Thailand, which is true.... but do we excuse thieves, because murderers are worse?

In foreign policy terms yes I think we do go easier on countries like Thailand because there are so many other subjectively worse regimes.The age of a self confident West is coming to an end and we seem to lack the stomach now for lecturing other countries.Certainly other countries are unwilling to listen patiently to our sermonizing especially given our own shortcomings.Mote and beam, mate they say.Does this make the world a better place? I don't know.

And thank you for not over reacting to my earlier post

24 minutes ago, jayboy said:

The age of a self confident West is coming to an end and we seem to lack the stomach now for lecturing other countries.Certainly other countries are unwilling to listen patiently to our sermonizing

And worryingly for “westerners”, historically this pressges a change of regime. Ie... decline of the West and rise of eastern dominance

12 hours ago, webfact said:

It has expressed concerns over freedom of expression in the country and has called for a swift return to democracy

Th EU is not a democracy. It is ruled by undemocractically elected beurocrats.

How can it make such stements about Thailand.

14 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I have to admit that my first thought was "don't do it now, wait for a firm, solid and specific commitment such as the election date being gazetted".

But, this is a classic EU diplomatic move; mention the specific date (November 2018) and then add a little 'carrot'

I hope that this move will strengthen the push for elections to occur on schedule. And if they don't, swift and punitive action on economic matters.

You forgot the next sentence:-

"The government, however, has yet to end a political ban that would allow political parties to campaign ahead of the vote"

So, we'll have an election in November 2018, but nobody can "campaign ahead of the vote"? So how do people get to know about the various "manifestos"?

And as the UK has decided to "Brexit", does this mean more harassment for Brits?

Edited by sambum

12 minutes ago, sambum said:

You forgot the next sentence:-

"The government, however, has yet to end a political ban that would allow political parties to campaign ahead of the vote"

So, we'll have an election in November 2018, but nobody can "campaign ahead of the vote"? So how do people get to know about the various "manifestos"?

The 'democratic soldier' will probably allow at least two days. :whistling:  No time then for the standard bloody street riots of the past.

19 hours ago, farcanell said:

Their opinions do matter.... perhaps only to them, but that is besides the point.

ones opinions are a reflection of ones character.... it’s hard to belittle one, without belittling the other.

sure... argue against others opinions (that’s what these types of forums allow)... but try to refrain from belittling others, as that is against forum policy (to say the least)

Well hello Mary - you just had to 'Popp in' didnt you? 

Just what I need - advice from a Nanny State nanny.

I think I prefer the grumpy whinging than condescending criticism.

17 hours ago, farcanell said:

Nice post.... excepting, of course, where you call my post profoundly stupid. ????

my comparison to N. Korea should have carried the caveat you wisely included.... pendants, spare us messages about the small print, I know the history but a quick example is needed ? (in which case it would not have been a fatuous point???)

international trade, economics, cooperation etc etc etc, is open to international scrutiny.... and in some cases, where this scrutiny uncovers “issues”, Further dealings with the country can garner such charges of treason...( reapply my revised version of your caveat here.... I know that’s way OTT)

but again... nice post, even if it does not address the point of my reply

Yep - I definitely prefer the 'Whinging Expat' rather than the 'Nanny Expat'.

Come back guys - all is forgiven.

1 hour ago, ELVIS123456 said:

Those juntanite expats are a fun lot too. They have been missing lately. Come back guys. We need humour. 

4 hours ago, ELVIS123456 said:

Well hello Mary - you just had to 'Popp in' didnt you? 

Just what I need - advice from a Nanny State nanny.

I think I prefer the grumpy whinging than condescending criticism.

Lol..... troll elsewhere.... 

4 hours ago, ELVIS123456 said:

I don’t think that the EU foreign affairs officers fall into either categories.... its these people that are being attacked by Thai netizens, which is what’s being discussed in my back and forth with jayboy (specifically, the right of international bodies/foreigne entities, to have an opinion on Thai policy)..... just in case you have comprehension issues.

oh damn... look at that... I got sucked into your trolling post

5 hours ago, mikiea said:

is that the best you got ......?

Yes mikiea.... that appears to be all he’s got.... nothing substantive to offer to the discussion beyond trolling. 

Elvis went brain dead in 1977, so don’t be too disappointed with this reincarnation.

6 hours ago, farcanell said:

Yes mikiea.... that appears to be all he’s got.... nothing substantive to offer to the discussion beyond trolling. 

Elvis went brain dead in 1977, so don’t be too disappointed with this reincarnation.

Hillarious  Mary - and you call that Trolling - I just cant stop laughing.