Phuket tourists dissatisfied with beach trash and water quality, reveals survey

snoop1130

Phuket tourists dissatisfied with beach trash and water quality, reveals survey

Tanyaluk Sakoot

1513344963_1-org.jpg

PHUKET:-- Trash and water quality of Phuket’s beaches are considered badly managed, according to the results of a management research survey conducted by the Prince of Songkla University (PSU) and displayed at their Phuket Campus yesterday (Dec 14).

“We obtained feedback from 1,624 participants on Phuket’s beaches including tourists, village headmen, students and private businesses in the area. The data was collected between Oct 2016 and Sept 2017,” said Dr Chantinee Boonchai who led the public announcement at the university yesterday.

Dr Chatinee, who is a lecturer at PSU and also a member of Andaman Environment and Natural Disaster Research Centre (ANED), added, “The main purpose of this research is to obtain information as the foundation strives to support the beach management and give officials in Phuket direction.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-tourists-dissatisfied-with-beach-trash-and-water-quality-reveals-survey-65160.php#tk6LgfxpffGt6eJ0.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-12-15

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

The data was collected between Oct 2016 and Sept 2017,”

Wow! It took 12 months to get the feedback from tourists that the water is shitty, and that tourists don't like seeing crap all over the beach? I don't know what that survey cost, but I could have told them that for free in less than five minutes. Maybe then a clean up could have started over a year ago, assuming of course numerous well paid committees didn't have to discuss the findings for as long as they could keep getting paid to discuss shit and not actually do anything productive. And Thailand being Thailand, the budget for the clean up has probably gone, funding the survey and the committees, so welcome to shitty water and shitty beaches tourists, for a bit longer.

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

Wow! It took 12 months to get the feedback from tourists that the water is shitty, and that tourists don't like seeing crap all over the beach? I don't know what that survey cost, but I could have told them that for free in less than five minutes. Maybe then a clean up could have started over a year ago, assuming of course numerous well paid committees didn't have to discuss the findings for as long as they could keep getting paid to discuss shit and not actually do anything productive. And Thailand being Thailand, the budget for the clean up has probably gone, funding the survey and the committees, so welcome to shitty water and shitty beaches tourists, for a bit longer.

Qualitative data analysis..55555 

Dr Chatinee  (lecturer at PSU and also a member of Andaman Environment and Natural Disaster Research Centre (ANED)) I would like to see a survey carried out on council expenditure for each of the west coast beaches per year.  

This would / could include the following breakdown:

a/. beach cleaning crews

b/. repairs to beach retaining walls / car parks etc.

c/. lighting

d/. lifesavers / equipment

e/. free toilets / showers 

f/. other new facilities 

Dear Tourist, welcome to Thailand

How satisfied are you with trash on our beaches:

1) Not satisfied at all, at home we have much more trash

2) Somewhat satisfied, the quality of trash could be improved, i.e more smells and color

3) Satisfied, exactly as I imagined it

4) Happy, there is a plethora of different trash to explore and write home about

5) Ecstatic, Thailand Number One in trash amount, diversity, texture, aroma - a dream come true

5 hours ago, pattayadgw said:

Dr Chatinee  (lecturer at PSU and also a member of Andaman Environment and Natural Disaster Research Centre (ANED)) I would like to see a survey carried out on council expenditure for each of the west coast beaches per year.  

This would / could include the following breakdown:

a/. beach cleaning crews

b/. repairs to beach retaining walls / car parks etc.

c/. lighting

d/. lifesavers / equipment

e/. free toilets / showers 

f/. other new facilities 

You forgot g/, more massage tables with happy ending!

Runoff from the massive construction projects at Kamala Beach combined with poor sewage treatment has left a dirty beach. Patong is the same poor level of water quality but Kamala is worse right now. Most sunchairs since the coup. Chinese wedding business dominates 20-30% beach. Pathetic! 

Don't come here. 

14 hours ago, darksidedog said:

It was done by the University so probably helps some students in obtaining their degree. I've been interviewed by students in a survey before and try to be helpful. 

At least they come up with different responses to Government sponsored surveys, which usually decide the Government is wonderful and that everything is hunky dory.

^Construction run off ( in Tourist Season !) at North Kamala from a company enticing prospective guests with words like untouched paradise... the water should be very clear this time of year. Some of this development is proudly labelled , "the most expensive villas to come onto the market  in Phuket" !! Financed by Australias own Macquarie Bank. I would have thought these large business implements would only loan on condition that environmental considerations were met.

Haven't gone for a swim in Phuket or Pattaya for a decade, there are so so so many other crystal clear beaches within a 20 minute ride that one can swim in, and with very few tourists, but I am not giving up the locations.

There is no way in the world I would wait for Thailand to clean up its act, I would be long dead and cremated, so better off enjoying what I know is not polluted.

Some would say, that I am not pro-active, but I would reply, not my country, just a guest here destroying trees every 90 days to tell them what they already know, and a lot more trees when its time to do that extension of stay, ah, the land of smiles 555

Edited by 4MyEgo

Many tourists are starting to realize that when they come to Phuket, they are paying the highest prices in South East Asia, Singapore aside, but are not getting the equivalent in infrastructure and services that such prices should reflect.

Hence, many are going to other parts of Thailand where the beaches are also dirty, with infrastructure and services also lacking, but everything is around half the price, if not less.  

Then, you have other tourists who are bypassing Thailand altogether, and going to neighboring countries where the beaches are clean, infrastructure and services are good, and it's half the price or cheaper when compared to Phuket.  

The authorities here will still be having their committees, and coming up with policies that do nothing to benefit the tourists, long after Phuket has lost its market share of the tourism industry in South East Asia.

On ‎16‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 3:26 AM, Thechook said:

Not just Phuket, beaches right across Thailand are disgusting.  They had a jewel but greed and corruption destroyed it.

Agree. I have watched as, over the years, Phuket beaches and the Island itself, gradually lost its natural beauty, more and more forest cut down to make condos and shops, the beaches getting dirtier and dirtier.  The last 2 times I went there I was disgusted with one of the main beaches.  The water was brown, frothy and cloudy.  We were told it was an algae bloom... natural.... but I have never seen an algae bloom the colour, and why all the tissue paper, plastic bags and other unspeakable items floating about in it?

The smaller islands which used to have nice coral and lots of different species of fish - including sharks, have been ruined for wildlife. Too many noisy speed boats and too much development.  Again their beaches had lots of rubbish and litter, the coral was damages a lot... much was basically a wasteland of smashed up or broken coral, and there were hardly any fish compared to just 10 years ago.  

I will not be going back there sadly.... used to love the place.