Brits vs. Americans in Pattaya

bkk6060

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/30/2017 at 8:04 PM, lovelomsak said:

Being Canadian I find both Brits and Americans a pain most of the time.

The Americans seem to think Canada needs them and would not survive with out  . Their superiority complex is unbearable. But hay they just want to help the Mexicans from the north right.

The Brits think we are from the colones and are below them.Just simple colony people who need to be taught the way of the world by the more experienced and worldly UK leaders. Must just be a chore talking to us.

Hit the nail on the head mate.

They can both get stuffed. 

Thats the Aussie attitude too.

Canadia as my canadian mate said it is very close to Oz geographically (not climate ...but a big country with no people) and in general easy going except for the french speaking tossers in whatever province that was. I have no problem with US citizens either.

People are people.

<deleted> are <deleted> anywhere you go.

17 hours ago, beachproperty said:

Good for you.....you must NOT be living paycheck to paycheck. Over 14 years living here and out of all the expats I've met 95% are living from paycheck to paycheck. Not saying their bad people.....BUT a loser is a loser not matter how you paint him:passifier:

What paycheck?

You mean a pension for whatever reason?

13 hours ago, JSixpack said:

Well, now, have you spoken to the English about this? Let's hear the classical view from Dr. Johnson, which may still hold popularly:

"The noblest prospect which a Scotchman ever sees, is the high road that leads him to England!"
Boswell: Life

"He that travels in the Highlands may easily saturate his soul with intelligence, if he will acquiesce in the first account. The highlander gives to every question an answer so prompt and peremptory, that skepticism itself is dared into silence, and the mind sinks before the bold reporter in unresisting credulity; but, if a second question be ventured, it breaks the enchantment; for it is immediately discovered, that what was told so confidently was told at hazard, and that such fearlessness of assertion was either the sport of negligence, or the refuge of ignorance."
Johnson: Journey to the Western Islands of Scotland

He would not allow Scotland to derive any credit from Lord Mansfield; for he was educated in England. "Much may be made of a Scotchman, if he be caught young."
Boswell: Life

'Course to be fair we have the bigoted view towards the Irish as well:

The author of these memoirs will remember, that Johnson one day asked him, 'Have you observed the difference between your own country impudence and Scottish impudence?' The answer being in the negative: 'Then I will tell you,' said Johnson. 'The impudence of an Irishman is the impudence of a fly, that buzzes about you, and you put it away, but it returns again, and flutters and teazes you. The impudence of a Scotsman is the impudence of a leech, that fixes and sucks your blood.'
Arthur Murphy :Life and Genius of Samuel Johnson

But you've reminded me to see Braveheart and Rob Roy again sometime soon.

Dr Johnson, author of the 1st English dictionary, actually used "Scotchman" to describe a jock, and teaze with a Z not an S?

Braveheart was a terrible movie, a sort of Scottish equivalent of the Charge of the Light Brigade historically.

And nobody on this thread find's the French annoying?

:giggle:

20 hours ago, JSixpack said:

Well, no need to visit the Cultural Center when we have Brits raising and answering every possible question here already.

You mean the ''Oi Oi Saveloy!'' crowd. Ever been past the ''Dogs <deleted> Pub' in Pattaya? You're quite right, of course. Useless pisshead Chavvy Brits are even worse that Africans - they'd beat you up just for fun.

To quote from posts about the clientele of the DB on another forum (from Brits themselves).

i go to thailand to get away from these <deleted> wits ,,,,

Tell us more about the mix.

Is it true the Dogs <deleted> used to have a prominent sign which read: "No Arabs or Japs allowed. Lager louts welcome."? Or is that just an urban myth?

Evil
:devil

The Japanese angle came about after the "patrons" of the bar attacked a Japanese film-crew prior to the 2002 World Cup. The story was well-documented at the time.

--http://www.pattayatalk.com/forums/topic/59322-inside-the-dogs-<deleted>/#entry980631

You diappoint me JS, your posts normally make a great deal of sense but now you are telling me that you know more about this bar than I do. A place that I am familiarr with, that you have  Never even beeninside.

You add to that irrelevant quotes fom Boswell and Johnson and in general come up with a load of gutter level anti-English racism.

Maybe all the Brits are still angry at you for taking America away from them and now all they have left is a shitty little island to live on? (Ha!Ha!Ha!) (I am only joking) 

I have met and worked with many British Guys and I never experience any of the problems you have with them. All were great guys, and almost like my favorite guys, which are the Americans. 

When I went to bars in Pattaya I went with the mindset of having a good time, and not getting involved in some fight or argument. If I ran into people who prefered to fight, I simple just got up and walked away. In Pattaya there are many bars. You don't need to get mixed up in anyones drunken polictical views. 

But sometimes it means putting some of your pride in your pocket. Americans find this very difficult to do. Most Canadians don't. That is why nobody cares about us. And frankly we don't really care that much about them either. 

On 12/29/2017 at 6:57 AM, scubascuba3 said:
On 12/28/2017 at 10:53 PM, greatwhitenorth said:

Good Sir , no one would believe you are Canadian, you didn t apologize for anything, no saying sorry or excuse me.

I apologize for having to tell  you that, I am sorry if it changes your plans, no offence intended.

5a45135c67258_images(5).jpg.00986cbe72f5e73e1bb03469530dc9c2.jpg

Canadians in Pattaya are no angels though, surprisingly I've met worse Canadians than Americans. I try to avoid dodgy people of all nationalities but sometimes you can't

They were probably Amercians calling themselves Canadian. We get a lot of that. 

But if they are wearing a T-Shirt with the Candian Flag on it, and the flag is upside down, then that is a sure sign they are American.

Also an inside World Series Joke to all my American Friends who did lose the World Series that year. Even after carrying our Flag Upside Down. . 

8 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Dr Johnson, author of the 1st English dictionary, actually used "Scotchman" to describe a jock, and teaze with a Z not an S?

Off topic pedantry but maybe you'll see it before it's deleted:

"Scotch," yes. "Teaze," no. But the quotation was from Arthur Murphy's (an Irishman) bio of Johnson, published in 1792. Guess Murphy didn't look it up. :cool: The Z (and "ei" rather than "ea") had been around for quite awhile and still appears in Brit writings at least as late as 1827. It'd probably be seen today in forum posts were it not for the spelling checker. :wink:

Braveheart was a terrible movie, a sort of Scottish equivalent of the Charge of the Light Brigade historically.

Worked.:smile:

Edited by JSixpack

2 hours ago, rott said:

You diappoint me JS, your posts normally make a great deal of sense but now you are telling me that you know more about this bar than I do. A place that I am familiarr with, that you have  Never even beeninside.

But you didn't answer my question about the mix while igoring historical accounts.:laugh:

Walked past it countless times on the soi once known as Soi Yobbo for obvious reasons and saw what's in there. I did recommend OP to ask his questions in that friendly welcoming Cultural Center.

My posts always make a great deal of sense, as in

irrelevant quotes fom Boswell and Johnson

I was going to put in one quote but found a batch of them so funny--and figured our discerning posters would think so as well--I just couldn't resist throwing them all in. But they were relevant towards showing a traditional attitude of bigotry on the part of the English towards other nationalities that persists today, as observed in the OP's complaint. In fairness I've concluded recently that some of our Brit posters don't even realize they're writing bigoted posts--denigrating Thais, Thailand, and Thai culture is just so natural, like breathing air. But you can find this affirmed elsewhere in many sites on the 'net:

Why are southern English people so condescending towards outsiders (eg. Scots, Welsh, Australians, Americans etc)? Northern English people, Scots, Irish and Welsh people don't seem to have this attitude.

--Alison Christie, Edinburgh

A: The sneering dislike of Americans common in Southern England is, I think, based on an inferiority complex which in turn has its roots in the now lost Empire.

…we [Irish] not, and never would be viewed as equals by the British establishment. Every Irish person in Britain knows the little nod, the little wink. More often now it is disguised as affection, or indulgence (“Oh, you funny people” is always implied).

Q: Why are English people so often dismissive and patronising about the Welsh?

A: The English don't just patronise the Welsh, they do it to everyone. I would hope the more “sophisticated”, as Huw Shepheard describes them, would eschew such attitudes, but not all do so. Many seem to think nationalist derision is “having a sense of humour”, so it's okay to characterise the Irish as thick, the Scots as mean, the Welsh as dishonest, Jews as untrustworthy, French as smelly, Germans as humourless, Italians as cowards and so on, because it's just banter.

It's not. It's offensive and puerile.

Q: So why do so many people find it easy to despise the English? What have they done?

A: First, perhaps, there is a national arrogance that is not really well founded. Ok, England, has a rich and wonderful cultural and social history and has produced some of the greatest men and women to have graced the planet – but, whether this is fair or not, sadly, there is often a lack of humility in the psyche of the English. . . . Just as irksome, there is often a lack of respect for other countries and their history, culture and language

My favorable views towards the Scots are perhaps influenced by a chance meeting with a really nice Scotsman once, a tourist, in a bar.

Normally, for obvious reasons, I avoid talking to tourists but John was exceptionally friendly and downright charming, buying me a beer and all. (Went against the stereotype right there.) At first he merely asked some of the usual tourist questions about Pattaya—places to eat, drink, stay, party—but what he really wanted to talk about was how much better everything is in Durban, SA, than in Thailand. He'd been working in Durban for many years, which no doubt had done him a lot of good, certainly w/ regards to his accent. (Gordon Brown did it, after all.)

After the second round he abandoned his stool and stood in front of the go-go stage to hold forth at length. The beer's better in Durban, the prices better, the beaches better, the scenery's better, the girls better. Everything. "Those girls theah (gesturing towards a group of dancers standing around), theah're wearin' bikinis, basically. In Durban, now, theah'd be wearin' nothin' at all!And: "In Durban the girls are ALL different colors, and SO better lookin’ for what you're spendin'. ‘Course they all got that little wire brush.Once in a while he'd pause, reach out his arms, and exhort, "COME . . . to DURBAN!in a rich, expansive South African voice, as if starring in a tourist commercial. Utterly persuasive and likable. I finally left him to convert some other patrons as I staggered out resolved that I must, absolutely must, visit Durban, SA.

Edited by JSixpack

8 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

But you didn't answer my question about the mix while igoring historical accounts.:laugh:

Walked past it countless times on the soi once known as Soi Yobbo for obvious reasons and saw what's in there. I did recommend OP to ask his questions in that friendly welcoming Center

My posts always make a great deal of sense, as in

I was going to put in one quote but found a batch of them so funny--and figured our discerning posters would think so as well--I just couldn't resist throwing them all in. But they were relevant towards showing a traditional attitude of bigotry on the part of the English towards other nationalities that persists today, as observed in the OP's complaint. In fairness I've concluded recently that some of our Brit posters don't even realize they're writing bigoted posts--it's just so natural, like breathing air. But you can find this affirmed elsewhere in many sites on the 'net:

Why are southern English people so condescending towards outsiders (eg. Scots, Welsh, Australians, Americans etc)? Northern English people, Scots, Irish and Welsh people don't seem to have this attitude.

--Alison Christie, Edinburgh

A: The sneering dislike of Americans common in Southern England is, I think, based on an inferiority complex which in turn has its roots in the now lost Empire.

…we [Irish] not, and never would be viewed as equals by the British establishment. Every Irish person in Britain knows the little nod, the little wink. More often now it is disguised as affection, or indulgence (“Oh, you funny people” is always implied).

Q: Why are English people so often dismissive and patronising about the Welsh?

A: The English don't just patronise the Welsh, they do it to everyone. I would hope the more “sophisticated”, as Huw Shepheard describes them, would eschew such attitudes, but not all do so. Many seem to think nationalist derision is “having a sense of humour”, so it's okay to characterise the Irish as thick, the Scots as mean, the Welsh as dishonest, Jews as untrustworthy, French as smelly, Germans as humourless, Italians as cowards and so on, because it's just banter.

Q: So why do so many people find it easy to despise the English? What have they done?

A: First, perhaps, there is a national arrogance that is not really well founded. Ok, England, has a rich and wonderful cultural and social history and has produced some of the greatest men and women to have graced the planet – but, whether this is fair or not, sadly, there is often a lack of humility in the psyche of the English. . . . Just as irksome, there is often a lack of respect for other countries and their history, culture and language

My favorable views towards the Scots are perhaps influenced by a chance meeting with a really nice Scotsman once, a tourist, in a bar.

Normally, for obvious reasons, I avoid talking to tourists but he was exceptionally friendly and downright charming, buying me a beer and all. (Went against the stereotype right there.) At first he merely asked some of the usual tourist questions about Pattaya—places to eat, drink, stay, party—but what he really wanted to talk about was how much better everything is in Durban, SA, than in Thailand. He'd been working in Durban for many years, which no doubt had done him a lot of good, certainly w/ regards to his accent. (Gordon Brown did it, after all.)

After the second round he abandoned his stool and stood in front of the go-go stage to hold forth at length. The beer's better in Durban, the prices better, the beaches better, the scenery's better, the girls better. Everything. "Those girls theah (gesturing towards a group of dancers standing around), theah're wearin' bikinis, basically. In Durban, now, they'd be wearin' nothin' at all!And: "In Durban the girls are ALL different colors, and SO better lookin’ for what you're spendin'. ‘Course they all got that little wire brush.Once in a while he'd pause, reach out his arms, and exhort, "COME . . . to DURBAN!in a rich, expansive South African voice, as if starring in a tourist commercial. Utterly persuasive and likable. I finally left him to convert some other patrons as I staggered out resolved that I must, absolutely must, visit Durban, SA.

Make sure you pack a bulletproof vest. 

To be quite honest- I think most Americans do not really understand British English and how it is used nor do most of us understand British humor which is quite under stated and very funny once one does understand it.

Most of the people I drink with are either British or Australian and we seem to get along fine. I have visited England and have had a great time. Most Americans never go abroad and most British always go abroad so there is already a difference in experiences. I believe most British have a greater sense of History more so than Americans who remain rather isolated and ethnocentric.

In summary, I love to go out on the piss with the English, but I avoid taking the piss.  Cheers.

3 hours ago, JSixpack said:

Off topic pedantry but maybe you'll see it before it's deleted:

"Scotch," yes. "Teaze," no. But the quotation was from Arthur Murphy's (an Irishman) bio of Johnson, published in 1792. Guess Murphy didn't look it up. :cool: The Z (and "ei" rather than "ea") had been around for quite awhile and still appears in Brit writings at least as late as 1827. It'd probably be seen today in forum posts were it not for the spelling checker. :wink:

Worked.:smile:

100% correct.

It is pedantic..

15 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

To be quite honest- I think most Americans do not really understand British English and how it is used nor do most of us understand British humor which is quite under stated and very funny once one does understand it.

Problem is that that British English often comes in the form of, say, Geordie or Brummie here in Pattaya. Feel sorry sometimes for Thais struggling to understand those dialects and local pronunciations. Received Pronunciation is practically unknown.

And British humor can be witty and funny. Lot of Brit series popular in the USA. I understand it perfectly. But the humor here is mostly just that low class slapstick puerile version. Moreover the behavior described in the OP wasn't intended to be funny, except in the sadistic bullying sense to the bigots originating it.

On 12/28/2017 at 8:21 PM, bkk6060 said:

Several times in the last couple months at a sports bar or restaurant, I have been asked by a Brit if I am from America .

Then it starts, some demeaning, negative, arrogant attack at me and at the US.

I have been to your country several times and the people I met there were very nice.

But, the Brits here seem bitter, pissed off and sad. 

As I quoted from a Brit above,

Many seem to think nationalist derision is “having a sense of humour”, so it's okay to characterise the Irish as thick, the Scots as mean, the Welsh as dishonest, Jews as untrustworthy, French as smelly, Germans as humourless, Italians as cowards and so on, because it's just banter.

Edited by JSixpack

2 hours ago, Thaidream said:

Apparently some Americans were yearning for a reunion with Great Britain and received the following response from a high ranking official of the United Kingdom.

SNIP

I didn't bother to read your post after I saw this statement:  "Apparently some Americans were yearning for a reunion with Great Britain and received the following response from a high ranking official of the United Kingdom".

Do you think a person of reasonable intelligence should read the crap you post without any validation whatsoever?

Do you know how to post a link?    If so please do so when posting

I think you can do better than that if you give it a try.

It was meant to be humor- I read it somewhere on the internet in an American paper. It was written in jest. As an American- I thought it was humorous from both an American and British viewpoint.  Apparently others don't which seems to actually illustrate the difficulty in communication.

By the way- if you want a link- do it yourself-  that's what I did.

Edited by Thaidream

Don't apologize the reaction was an example of Americans lack of humour. They only speak English after a very close vote so their humour could be said to be partly German? 

Edited by VocalNeal

1 hour ago, watcharacters said:

I didn't bother to read your post after I saw this statement:  "Apparently some Americans were yearning for a reunion with Great Britain and received the following response from a high ranking official of the United Kingdom".

Do you think a person of reasonable intelligence should read the crap you post without any validation whatsoever?

Do you know how to post a link?    If so please do so when posting

I think you can do better than that if you give it a try.

Oh dear....

I think this is the crux of the problem as some people just don't have any semblance of a sense of humour (humor for the grammatically challenged...)

29 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Don't apologize the reaction was an example of Americans lack of humour. They only speak English after a very close vote so their humour could be said to be partly German? 

Not nice..

It all boils down to  the king of the hill at any given moment.      The UK was a master of the world  for  a long time  and now that as I clearly posted with  a link  is a thing of the past.       Brits do not want to see it.   I get that..

The USA will fall and another country will rise.      I hope  the  downfall of  the USA  can happen without the use of hydrogen  weapons.     It is beyond the control of anyone other than the  POTUSA how he will respond.

There are  a lot of horrible weapons  laying around in  silos.    The USA has a bunch  of them.

Bitter people better start hoping  about what the future holds.

4 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Not nice..

It all boils down to  the king of the hill at any given moment.      The UK was a master of the world  for  a long time  and now that as I clearly posted with  a link  is a thing of the past.       Brits do not want to see it.   I get that..

The USA will fall and another country will rise.      I hope  the  downfall of  the USA  can happen without the use of hydrogen  weapons.     It is beyond the control of anyone other than the  POTUSA how he will respond.

There are  a lot of horrible weapons  laying around in  silos.    The USA has a bunch  of them.

Bitter people better start hoping  about what the future holds.

Bloody hell! I bet you are a bundle of laughs to be around, this all started started with a bit of anti Brit ribbing and ends in thermo nuclear war talk about an over reaction....