Prayut threatens not to call an election this year ‘unless public order prevails’

webfact

3 minutes ago, djjamie said:

If democracy means we go back to the dark days of spilt blood then I as well as all peace loving Thai's will chose the Junta. 

I am getting use to the peace that the Junta has brought. No bloody street protests, no grenades, no burning buildings and a robust economy with ever growing tourism bringing in billions of baht. The tourism numbers in itself is testament that Prayut has got it right and has brought an unheralded peace to a country craving it. 

If Thailand is not ready then so be it. 

Hard to argue against but is the "billions of baht" flowing down for the benefit of all people? I doubt it. :coffee1:

'Peace' has bought untrammelled wealth to the elite, their cronies and the rich.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, djjamie said:

If democracy means we go back to the dark days of spilt blood then I as well as all peace loving Thai's will chose the Junta. 

I am getting use to the peace that the Junta has brought. No bloody street protests, no grenades, no burning buildings and a robust economy with ever growing tourism bringing in billions of baht. The tourism numbers in itself is testament that Prayut has got it right and has brought an unheralded peace to a country craving it. 

Sure, and in the process never mind that peaceful protesters are arrested, detained, tried and sentenced by military tribunals without legal representation and possibility of appeal, basic human rights are taken away and the fat cats currently in charge getting fatter and fatter. And the few remaining junta huggers are bleeting about tourist numbers.:bah:

I think it is obvious to most people that sooner or later Thailand will be going through periods of unrest. This enforced calm will only delay and aggravate the inevitable and Thailand must get out of this endless cycle of coups. Kick the junta out and let the process begin.

PS. What do you think about the astounding wealth displayed on the wrists of the junta #1 and #2? I asked steven100 the same but he avoids the subject like the plague. Wonder why...:coffee1:

Edited by Becker

40 minutes ago, mick220675 said:

Prayut and his friends have wasted the opportunity they had to heal the divisions in Thailand.

After the last coup even the hard line reds in our village had come to terms with the need to change. Now he has united the whole village, they have all become poorer and more in debt. There is now total hatred for this government.

Maybe the rich of Bangkok are happy, but the 13 million Thai farmers are not. Our local farmers bank has stopped lending money, cars/tractors and farms are being repossessed. Things are getting desperate.

Prayut knows he has failed and being Thai he has to blame others for his failures.

Failed how has he failed, to fail you actually have to take action.  He has done nothing.

37 minutes ago, Juan B Tong said:

I am sure that if they look really really hard they just might find something wrong.

Yes, I'm sure that the army could find a cache of weapons somewhere if they tried, of course to make it believable they would have to report that the army weapons had been stolen first. 

2 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

The best thing that can happen is the people getting so fed up with this bunch that there will be mass protests leading to the junta needing to step down, being prosecuted, and the military castrated for decades to come.

...and then we wake up.

29 minutes ago, djjamie said:

That's not a choice of the Thai people who allegedly hold sovereignty of the nation.

It has always been, is now and into the future the decision of the autocracy exemplified in part by the military's sovereignty over the nation to make the choice.

4 hours ago, gunderhill said:

I hope he  likes  tightrope  walking, If  I was  Thai I'd be starting a  full  on civil war.

Things are ok. Baht strong. Economy not great but ok and most Thais do not feel too constrained by authoritarian policies because in many ways no matter who is in charge , certain laws regarding the constitutional monarchy will remain. The revolution will not be happening anytime soon.

IMO Prem’s caution to Prayut that he is losing support may be the game changer. He is not only losing support from his Bangkok middle class base and southern farmers but the elites and that is paramount. The elites are also hurt by the poor economics but they fear a popular uprising which is simmering at the grassroots. Prayut is intoxicated with power and surrounded by cronies who feed him with distorted information. If he don’t start releasing his grip on political activities and hold an election this year, Prem’s warning is ominous. 

4 hours ago, steven100 said:

While ever there is unrest between parties there can be no election .....  this is common sense.

This has been proven in Thai history that democracy won't work in Thailand ...  to much political fighting.

Good job Khun Prayuth Chan O Cha for the work you have done.

Thailands economy is firing with GDP and exports up and more jobs created. It is expected that Thailand will be even more robust this year.

Happy new year to the government   !!

Image result for pics of khun prayuth chan-ocha

Really??? Well I suppose one can't put a price or statistic on freedom of speech, freedom to hold a political party meeting etc. And then there is that free holiday at an army camp to get the right attitude. All priceless gems eh?

Edited by TKDfella

Let him threaten.

I'm sure that if there is no election in November 2018, as he officially announced during his US visit, there will be some not so pleasant response from some parties at the other side of the big puddle which will not be favourable for the Thai economy.

3 hours ago, Oziex1 said:

Can't stand the thought of this guy and his watch wearing crooks staying in power.

What is the future for Thailand as those seeking power to rule are looking to loot the treasury with little regard to the welfare of Thai people.

How will they break the cycle of history? More is required than a bleating reference to elections and democracy, where are their charismatic potential leaders with real plans for change? 

That is the problem, now these guys lookt the treasury before it was YL and her's that did so, pretty sure the Dem/Newin coalition did some looting too. So what is the difference in the end ?

Without a good alternative it will be just fighting about who will be in power to loot the treasury like it has been forever. As long as corruption on a large scale exists no goverment will be good for the people only for themselves.

20 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

He is not only losing support from his Bangkok middle class base and southern farmers but the elites and that is paramount. The elites are also hurt by the poor economics but they fear a popular uprising which is simmering at the grassroots.

You have valid substance in your analysis.

The economy is doing well (if only measured by GDP growth that is outnumbered by negative economic indicators) but it's built on a "house of cards." It seems that every economist and government predictions of continued favorable economic growth is predicated on political stability. The elites are no doubt aware of such economic illusion and Prayut's political vulnerability from his heavy-handed governance and seemingly at times arbitrary use of absolute power. Prayut's current waffling on 2018 elections should also be grave concern for the autocracy, especially since the last elections held in 2011 and promises made to the international democratic community. 

50 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

That's not a choice of the Thai people who allegedly hold sovereignty of the nation.

It has always been, is now and into the future the decision of the autocracy exemplified in part by the military's sovereignty over the nation to make the choice.

It is the majority of Thai's who want peace and economic stability and that is what this government is providing.

You cannot argue with the truth.

50 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

It is the majority of Thai's who want peace and economic stability and that is what this government is providing.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

threatened not to call an election unless there is public order this year

wow, he promised this already to EU. Will see how they react? Again no further business with EU? So Thai economy will go down further for the ordinary people?

Well done Prayuth, better to talk about kick backs, rings and watches......

14 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

The economy is doing well (if only measured by GDP growth that is outnumbered by negative economic indicators) but it's built on a "house of cards." I

I wouldn’t fall for those economic indicators. All the current indicators are just playing catch-up with the performances of previous government. The economic statistics are in the public domain. 

The GDP, export value and revenue collection were higher in 2013 even after the devastating flood than in rosy numbers in 2016.

The coup in 2014 was a economic disaster at a tragically financial cost. To rub salt to wounds, the junta even increase defence spending and went on a buying spree. Reserve treasury was ransacked and at historical low. This year revenue collection and export values were lower than 2013. We lost 3.5 years of normal growth and lost large opportunities to attract foreign direct investments that went to Vietnam, Indonesia and Philippines. 

He'll be able to kick the election can down the road until his friends in the West finally say, "Enough."  It's actually more interesting to see how much latitude he's allowed until the ultimatum comes that says, 'elections or sanctions, make a choice.'  But until then, everything is hunky-dory. For the West, it's important to at least maintain the illusion of democracy regardless of the how the machinery works under the surface.  And they like their smaller trading partners to toe that same line.

1 hour ago, Srikcir said:

57 minutes ago, steven100 said:

No one has asked the  majority of Thais what they want.

The Thais were being asked what they wanted in February 2014. A minority, albeit a well connected and well funded one, used their hired thugs to put a stop to that. When it looked like the process could be resumed, the military stepped in and put a stop to it.

Now, can you argue with that, or does it fall outside your scope of endlessly eulogizing a military junta?