Tony Blair warns British voters: time is running out to stop Brexit folly

webfact

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

Because it was agreed upon by all that there would be one referendum and that result would be binding .

If there were to be another referendum and the result went the other way , what then ?

Another referendum after that , to make it the best out of 3 ?

Where and when was it stated there would only be one referendum and by whom?

farage himself said a close result would mean another referendum. 

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

That was not what the poster in question said. 

Quite the opposite in fact. 

Forgive me for interjecting in your private argument, but the fact remains that 1) blair is ignored even by remainers 2) unlikely that those voting brexit would have demanded another immediate referendum if the result had not gone their way and 3) can we get back to how blair's opinion is anything other than a joke :smile:.

And answering the main question as to why even remain 'papers report his opinion :shock1:.  Surely they know that 'his opinion' is off-putting to the electorate?  Presumably they think 'celebrity' will swing voters?

Makes no sense to me.

1 minute ago, dick dasterdly said:

Forgive me for interjecting in your private argument, but the fact remains that 1) blair is ignored even by remainers 2) unlikely that those voting brexit would have demanded another immediate referendum if the result had not gone their way and 3) can we get back to how blair's opinion is anything other than a joke :smile:.

And answering the main question as to why even remain 'papers report his opinion :shock1:.  Surely they know that 'his opinion' is off-putting to the electorate?  Presumably they think 'celebrity' will swing voters?

Makes no sense to me.

Doesn’t really answer my question. 

I have a lot of contempt for Blair, however he is entitled to call for another referendum. 

As is anyone who wishes to do so, especially as the last one was so close. 

I’ve never called for another referendum, but I do not understand why the brexiteers are so dead set against people exercising their democratic right to call for one. 

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

Why can there not be another referendum?

And then, if the losers disagree will they then call for another?

If they win will the new losers then call for another ad infinitum?

What is the best option for no more referendums?

What is the guideline? 

50% +1, 60%, 70%. If it doesn't get the required amount of votes, is it null and void? Does it nullify the previous referendum?

2 from 3, 3 from 5 , 4 from 7, 5 from 8, 5 from 9.............from?

Where does it all and most importantly, who will pay the bill?

I voted leave and the majority of people who bothered to vote won and the Remainers lost. For those that did not vote I have no sympathy. They had the option to have their say but didn't.

If the Remainers had won with the same percentage I would have accepted that also but I would NOT have asked for another referendum.

There was one, the rules were laid down, the votes were cast and that was it.

Accept it and do your best to get the best result from Brexit.

To the Tory MPs etc who feel really strongly about it my advice is resign and cause a by election but pay for it yourself, otherwise stop whining and do the job that the taxpayers pay you for. Support the government and get the job done.

Who knows you may even like the result of Brexit.

4 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Makes no sense to me.

Just now, Bluespunk said:

Doesn’t really answer my question. 

I have a lot of contempt for Blair, however he is entitled to call for another referendum. 

As is anyone who wishes to do so, especially as the last one was so close. 

I’ve never called for another referendum, but I do not understand why the brexiteers are so dead set against people exercising their democratic right to call for one. 

I'd refer you to point 2.

1 minute ago, billd766 said:

What is the guideline? 

50% +1, 60%, 70%. If it doesn't get the required amount of votes, is it null and void? Does it nullify the previous referendum?

I voted leave and the majority of people who bothered to vote won and the Remainers lost. For those that did not vote I have no sympathy. They had the option to have their say but didn't.

If the Remainers had won with the same percentage I would have accepted that also but I would NOT have asked for another referendum.

To the Tory MPs etc who feel really strongly about it my advice is resign and cause a by election but pay for it yourself, otherwise stop whining and do the job that the taxpayers pay you for. Support the government and get the job done.

I think brexit will be an economic disaster and I think it was a foolish decision. 

However, I accepted it, the choice was made and the brexiteers shall reap as they have sown. 

I have never ever called for another referendum, however I do not understand the fear and loathing expressed by brexiteers every time someone does. 

Just now, billd766 said:

What is the guideline? 

It's really not that hard - do the same as those who wanted to leave and argue for another referendum for 40 odd years..... 

2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Where and when was it stated there would only be one referendum and by whom?

farage himself said a close result would mean another referendum. 

Farage isnt a person who can call a referendum , he doesnt have the authority to call a referendum

27 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

As I said there are many peaceful ways to walk the long line of reunification. To support the IRA mind in former century doesn't mean to kill somebody personally. Many did. On both sides. Sad and cruel and many innocent died. However in our days I support Sinn Féin which will make more sense to me. However, I crossed obviously the red line for a STAR MEMBER.......To forgive and forget is for some people not an attitude they are famous for.

The ira wasn't famous for '"peaceful ways" (to put it mildly....)....., but this is off-topic.

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

That question was answered by Billd in post 214

That post, while articulate and well written did not answer the question I put to you. 

Your evasion leads me to the only possible conclussion that you can’t back up your statement. 

Quelle surprise...  

3 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Point 2 : farage said he would. I’m sure many would have joined him if the vote was close the other way round. 

How often does this need to be pointed out?  " 2) unlikely that those voting brexit would have demanded another immediate referendum if the result had not gone their way"

Brexit voters waited 40 odd years for another referendum.....

1 minute ago, dick dasterdly said:

How often does this need to be pointed out?  " 2) unlikely that those voting brexit would have demanded another immediate referendum if the result had not gone their way"

Brexit voters waited 40 odd years for another referendum.....

How many times does it have to be pointed out that the arch brexiteer, himself said a close vote would require another vote.

I doubt he would have been alone. 

And I would not have castigated him for doing that. 

It would be his democratic right to do so. 

I note that both brexiteers (with their one and only Holy referendum) and remainers (with their let's have another one) refuse to answer to my critisism of the principle of referenda.

1/ The result of a referendum depends largely on what choices are offered and how they are formulated.

2/ Referenda have no place in a parliamentary democracy. It is practically not possible to organise a referendum over every important issue, that is why we elect and trust MP's. If we are not happy with them, we vote them out.

10 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

That post, while articulate and well written did not answer the question I put to you. 

Your evasion leads me to the only possible conclussion that you can’t back up your statement. 

Quelle surprise...  

The reasons given were as to why there will only be one referendum .

Governments understand that having more than one referendum , would make a mockery of the process .

All elections in the UK are just held once , that is understood by everyone .

Just now, sanemax said:

The reasons given were as to why there will only be one referendum .

Governments understand that having more than one referendum , would make a mockery of the process .

All elections in the UK are just held once , that is understood by everyone .

So it was never said and there is nothing to support your premise. 

Thought that was the case. 

As to how often elections (local and national) can be held in the U.K. and how much time must elapse between them, I suggest you do some research. 

2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

So it was never said and there is nothing to support your premise. 

Thought that was the case. 

Well, the fact that there isnt going to be another referendum on the same subject , shows that I was correct .

Just now, sanemax said:

Well, the fact that there isnt going to be another referendum on the same subject , shows that I was correct .

No it doesn’t. 

There is absolutely nothing in law or in the statutes governing referendums that supports your statement. 

11 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

I note that both brexiteers (with their one and only Holy referendum) and remainers (with their let's have another one) refuse to answer to my critisism of the principle of referenda.

1/ The result of a referendum depends largely on what choices are offered and how they are formulated.

2/ Referenda have no place in a parliamentary democracy. It is practically not possible to organise a referendum over every important issue, that is why we elect and trust MP's. If we are not happy with them, we vote them out.

It wouldnt be practical to hold referendums over every important issue, that is why referendums are not held over every important issue .

Large issues , such as Brexit should be held as a single question in a one question question, with one answer , reason being that its too big an issue to deal with in general elections

14 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

No it doesn’t. 

There is absolutely nothing in law or in the statutes governing referendums that supports your statement. 

Maybe its not written in law and referendums are not even legally binding , but the Government understands that having two referendums with the same question, would make all referendums pointless .

48 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

The ira wasn't famous for '"peaceful ways" (to put it mildly....)....., but this is off-topic.

Nor the other side. But this is past and we are in 2018 hoping that this will never happen again. I'm concerned in some groups it might glow again if there is not a satisfying solution for NI and the Republic. Germany showed us the way for a peaceful reunification

1 minute ago, sawadee1947 said:

Nor the other side. But this is past and we are in 2018 hoping that this will never happen again. I'm concerned in some groups it might glow again if there is not a satisfying solution for NI and the Republic. Germany showed us the way for a peaceful reunification

The Republic of Ireland should leave the E.U and join the United Kingdom, that would solve the border issue

7 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Maybe its not written in law and referendums are not even legally binding , but the Government understands that having two referendums with the same question, would make all referendums pointless .

So you just made it up. 

36 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

That's not quite right. You forgot one maybe most important point: Voter turnout. This is why we had a Brexit vote because the young people did not go.

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

The Republic of Ireland should leave the E.U and join the United Kingdom, that would solve the border issue

Funny Funny, do you think the bone is following the dog? Anyway the whole deal might be on a risk with Ireland/NI and Gibraltar/Spain

Brexit was due to his sensless policy with the UE, had he not "sold" off his country as such, people would not have got that fed up......

..like many other european leaders, he was throwing away his country to the EU dictators in Bruxelles....and now the Jedi Returns ?...oh Dear !!!...

3 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

That's not quite right. You forgot one maybe most important point: Voter turnout. This is why we had a Brexit vote because the young people did not go.

Even with a 100% voter turnout my 2 fundamental critisisms of referenda still stand.

Archived