PM orders check of high food and drink prices at Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang airports

webfact

PM orders check of high food and drink prices at Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang airports

By Thai PBS

don-mueang-airport.jpg

Prime minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has ordered relevant agencies to check prices of food and drink at Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang airports following complaints from passengers that the prices are very expensive.

Passengers’ complaints about the exorbitant prices for food and drink at the two airports was first reported in the www.thaich.net , a Japanese-language portal website about Thai travel and lifestyle.

On Jan 8, a Bangkok-based Japanese businessman Akihiro Koki Tomikawa, also complained of high price of bottle water at Suvarnabhumi airport which was marked up to 40 baht.

Full story:  http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/pm-orders-check-high-food-drink-prices-suvarnabhumi-don-mueang-airports/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-01-10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

My mate flew out to Sydney on Monday night, while I was talking to him on the mobile, he being at Phuket International, said, mate, 2 pieces of pizza 440 baht, an instant noodles, you know the one in the pack you open and throw in hot water, 150 baht, he said it was even more expensive that Sydney Kingsford Smith Airport.

So when my daughter fly's back next month, will make sure she has enough food to last her till she gets on the plane and home.

I do not eat at airports if I think the food is too expensive, taking into consideration they do have high rents, but not to the point of extortion, i.e. bottled water 40 baht, <deleted>, I can buy 12 bottles of Nestle for 49 baht, like someone said, water should be free or 10 baht the most as they don't allow you to take it through with you, worried someone will make a bomb out of it, had it ever occurred to the genius who came up with this, that there is plenty of water on the plane, der ! 

More expensive than Kingsford Smith, please don't let Macquarie bank know otherwise they jack up their prices. 

• Haha 1

is there any Family Mart - 7-11  stores "Airside" at Suvarnabhumi ?

I know there is a Family Mart at Departures in the right rear corner next to the Post office ,

and both Family Mart and 7-11 after customs in the Arrivals area,

But I never saw them on the Airside.....

11 minutes ago, oldcarguy said:

I know there is a Family Mart at Departures in the right rear corner next to the Post office ,

No. Get stocked / tanked up before you go Airside. 

1 hour ago, oldcarguy said:

1 hour ago, baboon said:

No. Get stocked / tanked up before you go Airside. 

But make sure to take a pee before joining the long immigration queue

• Haha 1

It most certainly is over priced but, aside from bottled water, I don't mind paying the higher prices (they do, after all, have to pay rent, staff, utilities, earn a living, etc.) but the quality and taste of the food simply isn't worth the prices they charge. That's what irritates me the most - over paying and not being satisfied.

Water, on the other hand, is a basic necessity and should in my opinion be sold at ฿ 10-15 a bottle.  

• Like 1

Food prices at Don Mueang airport 30-50% higher than on streets : Thai PBS survey

By Thai PBS

B31C3A21-B340-46D7-AD3A-7A1D5BEEA87D.jpe

Food at Don Mueang airport are about 30-50 percent higher than food sold outside the airport, according to a random survey of food prices conducted by Thai PBS reporters.

However, there is a food court or food centre next to the parking lot of Building No 1 that offers varieties of food at more affordable prices, although slightly higher than food outside the airport.

The problem is that this food court is wellknown and frequented by among airport officials and some tour guides who usually bring their Chinese tourists to eat there instead of eating at the other eateries elsewhere inside the airport.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/food-prices-don-meuang-airport-30-50-higher-streets-thai-pbs-survey/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-01-11

5 minutes ago, webfact said:

Food at Don Mueang airport are about 30-50 percent higher than food sold outside the airport, according to a random survey of food prices conducted by Thai PBS reporters.

IMO opinion one needs to look at profit margins rather than just prices.  I am sure overhead is much higher in the airport than it is outside, I wonder if such overhead is mitigated by volume.

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I already answered that, but to repeat, food is available at Family Mart and can be taken through security to airside, and same with an empty water bottle to fill at a free water dispenser.

Correct 4 posts after mine, hence the reason I didn't see it, i.e. I usually move onto something else once I have had my say and your post wouldn't have been up at the time of my posting, just saying

living here years now I have seen some prices get into the ''ridiculously over priced'' bracket...I feel this is( in part), a way of thais and Thailand saying to the world ''we are no longer a cheap no star country, so take us seriously''...ps message to Thailand....YOU STILL ARE A 2 STAR COUNTRY,BUT NOW YOU HAVE 5 STAR PRICES...amusing thailand