Old New Tires (or New Old Tires)

Fat Prophet

My 2014 truck needs a pair of new tires -- the rear tires are in good condition; the front tires are worn and one needs air to be added regularly. It came with Bridgestones, which I have not been please with -- one developed a bubble in the side wall after about 14 months and 7,000 km and was moved to the spare and they generally have not worn well. I have looked on Lazada and was interested in Yokohama or Goodyear, but then saw Michelin in my required size for an exceptionally good price, less than 1/2 the regular price. But they note in the ad for the tires "เป็นยางผลิตในปี 2012-2013", which translated means "Rubber production in 2012-2013". Someone asked if the tires themselves have been manufactured in the last 3 months to which the seller did not reply. So, the tires could actually be 5 years old now. And they come with no warranty (not a huge issue to me, except it suggests that the seller may not be very confident about the integrity of the tires)). I checked on the internet and the experts say that if stored properly in an environment controlled warehouse, the tires should last indefinitely. Unlikely, if the tires have been in Thailand, that they have been properly stored, especially given that they are now 5 years old and warehouse and stock management/turnover seems to be seriously lacking.  Another tire site talks about the 6/10 rule -- tire life is generally 6 years of use and 10 years since manufacture. By that rule, worst case, I would only have lost 1 year of useable life with these tires -- 5 years gone and 5 years since manufacture remaining. I am very tempted to put Michelins on the truck, especially at this price, but I am concerned about the amount of time since manufacture. Will appreciate any thoughts/experience anyone has that might be helpful in making this decision. Thanks, FP. 

51 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Maximum recommended shelf life for tires, used or otherwise is about 7 years from the date stamped on the tire wall.

Thanks. Recommended by whom? I cannot find such a useful life limit anywhere on the internet (except in your post). Indeed, as I noted, several sites refer to the 6/10 rule -- 6 years of use and 10 years from the date of manufacture as the "useful life" limit. But, I expect that most people that drive only a few thousand kilometers each year will keep their tires longer than 6 years, perhaps 10 years if the tread is still good and the sidewalls are not compromised. I think once the tires are on the car/truck inspection will tell when they should be replaced. And with Michelin I think you are getting a better tire, but whether that translates into a longer useful life, I really don't know. I think that 10 years from the date of manufacture as the "useful life" limit is a good rule of thumb, subject to visual confirmation that the tires are strong and safe. But YMMV. 

This will pass a Sunday nicely ... can't advise except to say that rubber normally hardens with age, heat and UV.

It's more than likely that hardened tyres won't grip so well ... especially in the wet ...

Just see what happends to rubber bands here ...

YMMY as you say ... ☺

Edited by JAS21

Not worth chancing it with tyres. Go to a place with a quick turnover and check the date stamp on the side wall. I notice that the soles of my shoes often come unglued living in hot humid conditions, have a look at the number of tyre treads that have come off next time you drive down the highway.

1 hour ago, Fat Prophet said:

Thanks. Recommended by whom?

My recommendation based on exactly the same research as you are doing, other comments regarding storage, heat humidity and the feedback from earlier threads on the same matter.

It's my criteria but if you want to take a chance on the cheap, 5 year-old ones you mentioned in the OP, then go ahead. Personally, I wouldn't buy online as you will have no way of inspecting them before you buy them. If there's no return/refund option, the risk is higher.

If you want to get some cheap tires that you can physically inspect inside and out before parting with cash, check out the roadside shops that sell rims. They may have a complete set of new or near-new tires when someone bought a new ride and traded in the OEM rims/rubber for something else. Good place to get a replacement rim if you have 'kerbed' one as well.

Bubble on the sidewall almost definitely came from kurbing. Not wearing well could be from any number of reasons eg incorrect pressure/incorrect tracking or camber even a sticking brake. Old tyres can age harden , also the steel reinforcement can corrode . 'Grip' is a product available in UK to soften the rubber. As the temps are so high in Thailand I doubt if is a problem. Too soft compound (ie from being too hot) could also cause problems . Just buy new 'in date' premium brands would be my advice.

11 hours ago, Fat Prophet said:

My 2014 truck needs a pair of new tires -- the rear tires are in good condition; the front tires are worn and one needs air to be added regularly. It came with Bridgestones, which I have not been please with -- one developed a bubble in the side wall after about 14 months and 7,000 km and was moved to the spare and they generally have not worn well.

My truck is same age and all my tires are due for replacement too but they have all worn evenly. I rotated them every 15,000 km (during servicing) so that tends to even things out. If you have rotated them and the front-to-back wear is notably different, maybe a front-end inspection is needed.

The sidewall blister sounds like it hit a kerb and personally, I wouldn't keep one as a spare. The idea that it will only be used 'just to get me home' doesn't work when you are several hundred km from home and/or early evening.

Stop putting air in one with the slow puncture; especially a front one. If there a chunk of metal slowly being driven deeper through the rubber, the unexpected blowout may cause soiled underwear. Take it to a tire shop, get the nail or screw pulled, tire plugged and aired up and re-balanced. Chances are the tire shop may have something cheap (used but not compromised) to replace that bad spare too.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

My truck is same age and all my tires are due for replacement too but they have all worn evenly. I rotated them every 15,000 km (during servicing) so that tends to even things out. If you have rotated them and the front-to-back wear is notably different, maybe a front-end inspection is needed.

The sidewall blister sounds like it hit a kerb and personally, I wouldn't keep one as a spare. The idea that it will only be used 'just to get me home' doesn't work when you are several hundred km from home and/or early evening.

Stop putting air in one with the slow puncture; especially a front one. If there a chunk of metal slowly being driven deeper through the rubber, the unexpected blowout may cause soiled underwear. Take it to a tire shop, get the nail or screw pulled, tire plugged and aired up and re-balanced. Chances are the tire shop may have something cheap (used but not compromised) to replace that bad spare too.

Thanks. A helpful (insightful) post. You are right about the spare -- it may be ok to get home if just around town, but a serious problem if on a long trip. It will be disposed of when the tires are replaced and the best tire taken off the truck's 4 wheels will go to the spare; they are all good enough for that. The present spare and the tire losing air will probably be tossed, and the 2 new tires put on the front, leaving the 2 very good rear tires where they are. The truck as been to the dealer for the required warranty maintenance, but I really do not know if the tires/wheels were rotated. The uneven wear suggests that they were not. I will ensure that the wheels are rotated in the future. The wear across the front tires is even, so the alignment seems to be ok, but I'll have it checked when the new tires are installed. The replacement of 2 tires should get the tire situation corrected, but regular rotating of the tires is required going forward. The truck has about 60,000 km on it now. 

I am still in a quandary regarding the Michelins vs the Yokohama/Goodyears. But all else equal (or at least if I am confident of 5 years of good/reliable use of the Michelins) I would definitely go with the Michelins. I plan to order the tires this week. I think that I will be "OK" either way, but at the moment I am leaning (slightly) towards the Goodyears. Thanks. 

2 hours ago, transam said:

Michelin seem to guarantee there tyres for up to 9 years, 3 on the shelf and 6 on the road, that does not include Formula 1 tyres though....:laugh:

That's great, thanks. It explains why these tires are being sold without warranty, but I think I can reasonably expect to get 5 years of good service out of the Michelin tires. And it is unlikely that I will keep the truck longer than that, although it is a great truck and given us flawless service to this point, obviously being a Mitsu Triton. No thought of putting Formula 1 tires on the truck.:wai:

9 minutes ago, Fat Prophet said:

That's great, thanks. It explains why these tires are being sold without warranty, but I think I can reasonably expect to get 5 years of good service out of the Michelin tires. And it is unlikely that I will keep the truck longer than that, although it is a great truck and given us flawless service to this point, obviously being a Mitsu Triton. No thought of putting Formula 1 tires on the truck.:wai:

I had Mich on for 7 years...:stoner:

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

If you want to get some cheap tires that you can physically inspect inside and out before parting with cash, check out the roadside shops that sell rims. They may have a complete set of new or near-new tires when someone bought a new ride and traded in the OEM rims/rubber for something else. Good place to get a replacement rim if you have 'kerbed' one as well.

I am not looking for "cheap" tires -- I am not interested in Deestone or Maxxi tires or "almost new" used tires. But if I can get Michelin tires at significant discount and the "problem" is unlikely to affect them or me, I would be foolish not to go with them. I recall when I got my first car (a '57 Chevy) in the early 70's I found a cheap set of premium tires at a discount because they were white wall and out of style. I mounted them with the white walls on the inside and had great tires at half price, and as a poor graduate student saving money was a major objective. Now, not so much now. But Michelins at a great price is a real temptation, but as I said in an earlier post, I am leaning towards the Goodyears. Too much uncertainty with the Michelins. Thanks.   

Fling me here we go again, nobody does a search, tyres are flinging tyres just look for the date on the side wall.

There's nothing wrong with cheap tyre outlets and even Isuzu dealers sell Deestones at very reasonable prices.

9 hours ago, petermik said:

Apply plenty of grease to the tyres before use.....this will soften and replenish the rubber......but take it easy on the gas as stopping distances will be extended somewhat...........:whistling:

The neighbor's male dog routinely pees on my truck's tires when ever the gate is left open. Doesn't this have the same effect (without extending the stopping distances)? 

On 1/14/2018 at 1:20 PM, Fat Prophet said:

I am not looking for "cheap" tires -- I am not interested in Deestone or Maxxi tires or "almost new" used tires. But if I can get Michelin tires at significant discount and the "problem" is unlikely to affect them or me, I would be foolish not to go with them. I recall when I got my first car (a '57 Chevy) in the early 70's I found a cheap set of premium tires at a discount because they were white wall and out of style. I mounted them with the white walls on the inside and had great tires at half price, and as a poor graduate student saving money was a major objective. Now, not so much now. But Michelins at a great price is a real temptation, but as I said in an earlier post, I am leaning towards the Goodyears. Too much uncertainty with the Michelins. Thanks.   

I am not suggesting that you are being cheap but for me, the option of getting brand-new or very low km (think 1 trip direct from the dealership to the tire shop) for half retail, then that's a real bargain and unlikely to be matched on 'fresh' new tires from the same shop.

Deestone and Maxxis have a good reputation from many drivers that have tried the more global brand names. FWIW, the Firestone's, Bridgestone's, Dunlop's and Michelin's are, like brand-name batteries in Thailand, virtually all manufactured locally with a high proportion coming out of the same factory door as Deestone and Maxxis rubber.

Let us know what you eventually settle with and how they go as there are variations between brands and variations in batches within brands.