Window Tinting Film For Vigo

Hi all,

I'll be picking up my Toyota Vigo 4x4 double cab pickup in about a week or so and am interested in installing window tinting film. I have read some posts on this site and it is in my opinion that LAMINA, maybe not the best or the most expensive, appears to be the window tinting film of choice. Neither of the Pattaya Toyota dealerships offer the LAMINA window tinting film. At the dealership where I purchased my Vigo, they only offer a window tinting film called STARCOOL or STARKOOL as a premium to the standard offered by Toyota. Has anyone heard of STARCOOL (STARKOOL) window tinting film or presently have it installed on their vehicle? If so, what do you think of it?

The dealership wanted to charge me Baht 3,500 for this upgrade offering UV protection, however I wasn't ok with the offer. I've never heard of STARCOOL (STARKOOL), besides at one of the accessories shops, Boy Car Customizing, they said that they would install LAMINA window tinting film for Baht 4,000. The LAMINA shop located just down from the Toyota dealership on Sukumvit road priced the LAMINA installation at Baht 7,000. I believe the difference between the two prices has to do with the model number of the LAMINA film offered. I was looking at the LAMINA brochure and found that they offer 3 different levels of film, Special Series, Executive Series and Genius Series with a variety of model numbers such as L20N, L75, L60N, L60Max in the Special Series and models RL50SISRPS, ANL20NSRPS in the Genius Series. Can any of you that have LAMINA window tinting film installed on your vehicles tell me which model number of film you have installed on your vehicle? Also, what is your preference as to the percentage level of tinting for the front windshield and that of the other windows? I have read that the L60Max is pretty good for the front windshield as it is almost clear, allowing 76 percent of light to pass through, but blocks 58 percent of the sun's heat and 99.9 percent of UV. It is also a bit more expensive than the other models costing up to Baht 5,000 for the front windshield only and Baht 15,000 for the entire vehicle, however I think it may be too clear to put on the entire vehicle because of privacy issues.

I've read that many prefer 40% tinting on the front windshield and 60% tinting on the other windows. The window tinting brochures of the various manufacturers of window tinting film is not standard. Some brochures list the percentage of tinting (light that is blocked) while other brochures (LAMINA) list the percentage of light transmission that is allowed to pass through the window tinting film.

I appreciate your replies.

Pattaya Dave

Edited by Pattaya Dave

Look at the detailed specs for each film. All films block 99% of UV, the difference is usually in tint, heat blocking (IR), and "mirror" index, I forgot what they call it. Most Thais just want the darker film and the numbers in your models say exactly that - blocking LM60 is blocking 60% of light, but if you look at IR numbers you'll notice that some dark films block only 20% of heat and some clear films block 80%.

Don't forget that your film should match the color of your Vigo, too. "Mirror" films don't look good on black cars etc.

Look at the detailed specs for each film. All films block 99% of UV, the difference is usually in tint, heat blocking (IR), and "mirror" index, I forgot what they call it. Most Thais just want the darker film and the numbers in your models say exactly that - blocking LM60 is blocking 60% of light, but if you look at IR numbers you'll notice that some dark films block only 20% of heat and some clear films block 80%.

Don't forget that your film should match the color of your Vigo, too. "Mirror" films don't look good on black cars etc.

Hi Plus,

Yeah, I find it a bit hard to read and understand the specifications for the various films due to the brochures being written in Thai and most of the salesman can't tell you the difference between the various model films. As you said, they only recommend the dark films ignoring the other qualities of the film. I am looking for clear or no more than 20% light blocking on the front windshield and maybe 40% on the two front seat side windows and either the same 40% or possible 60% light blocking on the rear side windows and rear window. I think that the most important quality of the film tints is the heat blocking capability. Of course, the other qualities, the mirror index (reflection) capability and IR numbers are also important. It doesn't really matter if the police can see inside my truck or not. I do like the semi-mirror films. I am getting the Exclusive model Vigo in the white color. How do you think a white Vigo would look with the mirror or semi-mirror films.

Pattaya Dave

>How do you think a white Vigo would look with the mirror or semi-mirror films.

I'd go with the semi mirror, with white it would look good.

One thing I would take time to communicate very clearly with the dealership is where the Lamina logos and film's serial/model numbers appear on the window. I was in a Triton last year where the Lamina logo and a 10 (?) digit number appeared almost exactly half way up the windows on both front doors, huge distraction when looking in the door mirror.

Yes, so totally obvious no one would ever put the film on in such a way, but TIT.

My guess was the person that put it on was making use of an end of a larger sheet, that would otherwise have been binned - but saw the chance to get rid of it at a profit.

>How do you think a white Vigo would look with the mirror or semi-mirror films.

I'd go with the semi mirror, with white it would look good.

One thing I would take time to communicate very clearly with the dealership is where the Lamina logos and film's serial/model numbers appear on the window. I was in a Triton last year where the Lamina logo and a 10 (?) digit number appeared almost exactly half way up the windows on both front doors, huge distraction when looking in the door mirror.

Yes, so totally obvious no one would ever put the film on in such a way, but TIT.

My guess was the person that put it on was making use of an end of a larger sheet, that would otherwise have been binned - but saw the chance to get rid of it at a profit.

Cuban, thanks for your comments. I too, think that the semi mirror finish would look pretty good. I was thinking that the Lamina was similar to that of the 3M brand in that the lettering and numbers could be cleaned off with a supplied solution. I had read somewhere that some of the installers leave the name on to prove to the buyer that they had actually installed the 3m or Lamina film then they clean it off with the solution. I may be mistaken, however.

As my Toyota dealer only offers STAR COOL window tinting film, I was interested in hearing from buyers who had this film installed on their vehicles and their opinions concerning the qualify of this film. I am tempted to forego this film in favor of Lamina, however if I can confirm that the STAR COOL film is equivalent to the Lamina film in quality then I may allow it to be installed.

Anyone who has had any experience with STAR COOL window tinting film, please post. Also, I have not been able to find any information about STAR COOL on GOOGLE or any other site, any suggestions?

Thanks,

Pattaya Dave

Edited by Pattaya Dave

You can easily remove this logo and serial numbers from the film with a special fluid, the reason they don't make it when they install it

is that you are able to check which film is really installed.

As my Toyota dealer only offers STAR COOL window tinting film, I was interested in hearing from buyers who had this film installed on their vehicles and their opinions concerning the qualify of this film. I am tempted to forego this film in favor of Lamina, however if I can confirm that the STAR COOL film is equivalent to the Lamina film in quality then I may allow it to be installed.

Anyone who has had any experience with STAR COOL window tinting film, please post. Also, I have not been able to find any information about STAR COOL on GOOGLE or any other site, any suggestions?

Thanks,

Pattaya Dave

I suspect all those no name brands use the same equipment, same techonlogy, and same suppliers, maybe not the same as big names like 3M or Lamina, but same as all other "kool"s.

When you settle on the specs make sure they have your film in stock at the shop. I wouldn't be surprised if they change the film to the one they have, without telling you.

IR is infrared - it's the number that tells you about heat block.

Hi Dave,

Back when I was obsessing about tinting my new Fortuner - a few months ago - I heard lamina is good, 3M is good, and V-Kool is the best. The latter is the reason there are so many other "... Kools" around.

I went with V-Kool, with the lightest available tint all around - I need privacy much less than I need to see at night. And I am extremely happy with it. The car stays surprisingly cool in the scorching sun - because I was driving it for about a week without any tint I know that it makes a huge, huge difference.

Cost was steep, 21,000 for the entire Fortuner after some tough negotiations. I was helped by the ThaiVisa forum both in recommending V-Kool and with the price, I knew that somebody else had paid 21k for a Fortuner. The shop was offering it for 26k.

But it does the job. I can see perfectly clear at night and it blocks heat very well.

You can easily remove this logo and serial numbers from the film with a special fluid, the reason they don't make it when they install it is that you are able to check which film is really installed.

It wasn't my car - I'll mention it to him when I see him is a few weeks, he'll be pleased I'm sure.

Best film is Huper Optik, ceramic film, very pricey

Also very good is VKool, excellent heat rejection (up to 70%) and very good optical clarity

Because of intense heat energy in Thailand you need a top quality film that will not break down in a year or 2!

LN

I located a STAR-COOL installation shop yesterday near the Toyota dealership on Sukhumvit road in Pattaya. They only install the STAR-COOL film exclusively for the Toyota dealership here. They don't do custom installations. I was able to confirm that the STAR-COOL film comes from the U.S., however I was unable to obtain the name of the actual company of manufacture as I'm sure that STAR-COOL is just a brand named used in Thailand. This is most likely why I couldn't locate STAR-COOL film while searching on the internet.

Toyota offer an 8-year warranty on the STAR-COOL product. Lamina offers a 7-year warranty. I would assume that the STAR-COOL film is comparable to that of Lamina if Toyota is willing to stand by it for 8 years. Unfortunately, from what I could surmise, STAR-COOL film is only available in the Pattaya, Chonburi, Rayong area. Please let me know if anyone has any experience, both favorable or unfavorable, concerning this product.

Thanks,

Pattaya Dave

Best film is Huper Optik, ceramic film, very pricey

Also very good is VKool, excellent heat rejection (up to 70%) and very good optical clarity

Because of intense heat energy in Thailand you need a top quality film that will not break down in a year or 2!

LN

Anyone know if Huper Optik and/or V-Kool is offered in Pattaya, and where?