Plane skids off Turkish runway and plunges towards sea

webfact

Plane skids off Turkish runway and plunges towards sea

2018-01-14T113816Z_1_LYNXMPEE0D096_RTROPTP_4_TURKEY-AIRPLANE.JPG

A Pegasus Airlines aircraft is pictured after it skidded off the runway at Trabzon airport by the Black Sea in Trabzon, Turkey, January 14, 2018. Ihlas News Agency (IHA) via REUTERS

ISTANBUL (Reuters) - A Pegasus Airlines flight skidded off the runway of a Turkish coastal airport and plunged down a steep slope on the edge of the Black Sea, ending up only metres from the water's edge.

None of the 168 people on board was hurt in the incident, but passengers spoke of panic as the aircraft tipped nose first towards the sea.

Just after the flight from Ankara landed at the Black Sea city of Trabzon there was a loud noise, Fatma Gordu was quoted as saying by the state-run Anadolu news agency.

"We tilted on the side and the front of the plane went down and the back of went up," she said. "There was a huge panic, people were shouting."

When the plane came to a halt in thick mud, passengers smelt fuel.

"We thought there would be fire," Gordu said. "People panicked - there were pregnant women and children."

Video on social media showed fire crews pumping water over the plane on Saturday night.

"It was a miracle," said another passenger, Yuksel Gordu. "We could have burned, we could have exploded or we could have gone into the sea."

Trabzon governor Yucel Yavuz said all passengers were safely taken off the plane and some had gone to hospital as a precaution. "They were all OK," he told Anadolu.

Pegasus Airlines said in a statement that the Boeing 737-800 aircraft "had a runway excursion incident" as it landed but the 162 passengers, two pilots and four cabin crew were unhurt.

(Reporting by Ceyda Caglayan; Writing by Dominic Evans; Editing by David Goodman)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-01-15

This Turkish site has more pictures http://www.airporthaber.com/pegasus-haberleri/pistten-cikan-pegasus-ucaginin-motoru-denize-firladi.html

More here http://m.airporthaber.com/havacilik-haberleri/kaza-yeri-ve-ucak-havadan-boyle-goruntulendi.html

And the obligatory passenger video, in portrait mode of course.

Someone is going to have fun recovering that ...

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

They have brake failures in Turkey too !

regards worgeordie

Turn (to reverse and backtrack up runway) was misjudged/too large, or port u/c colapsed.

Edited by Enoon

21 minutes ago, tifino said:

seeing how far (little) short of the final Threshold; the a/c was going to overshoot, unless the pilot took drastic measures!

The U/C collapse may have been the results of those drastic measures!

Have re-edited my original post.

I thought potential overshoot at first, then saw that a/c landing in that direction (and taking off in the opposite) have to do a 180 before/after backtracking to/from the terminal.

Edited by Enoon

1 minute ago, Enoon said:

I thought potential overshoot at first, then saw that landing a/c have to do a 180 and back track to terminal.

The report is titled with "... skidded..."  but are you suggesting it was a Taxiing/Turning circle accident?

23 minutes ago, tifino said:

The report is titled with "... skidded..."  but are you suggesting it was a Taxiing/Turning circle accident?

The potential (invitation) is there.

That's what I "think".

I may be wrong.

(Apologies if I have inadvertently edited one of your posts)

Edited by Enoon

9 hours ago, Crossy said:

Bet they are now wishing they had not painted their domain name on the side of the plane...

11 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Crazy place to have a runway, i.e. to the side of the sea

No, it's more crazy letting retards fly airplanes when it's obviously beyond them. If you think the seaside is a crazy place to have a runway, you should see what it's like landing at Hong Kong Airport! ;)

23 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

20 hours ago, JoePai said:

Presume you never used Hong Kong Kai Tak   :whistling:

And dozens of other runways in the world, including ones I know well, Sydney, Australia, Denpasar, Bali, Haneda and Kansai, Japan, Kai Tak, Hong Kong (now closed), among them.

Runways in close proximity to, and jutting out into the sea are common.

Try these............

Image result for dangerous runways close to the seaImage result for dangerous runways close to the sea

image.jpegImage result for dangerous runways close to the sea

image.jpeg

Edited by F4UCorsair

18 hours ago, Enoon said:

I thought potential overshoot at first, then saw that a/c landing in that direction (and taking off in the opposite) have to do a 180 before/after backtracking to/from the terminal.

Overshoots happen at the runway end, and if a 180 was required the aircraft would have turned at the turning node, being so close.

18 hours ago, tifino said:

16 hours ago, Argus Tuft said:

In various photos, the tracks from the aircraft undercarriage leaving the runway on to the grass can be clearly seen

This was no taxi/ backtracking accident.

Not a taxying incident in my opinion.   It looks like it went off the runway at considerable speed, even though it is a looong way down the runway, and perhaps should have slowed considerably by then.  The wheel tracks look similar, so almost certainly not a collapsed left landing gear.  If the left gear had collapsed, there would have been considerable 'tearing' of the grass surface visible.

The report did say 'skidded off the runway', and I think I read icy conditions.  If the anti skid was not operating correctly, and reverse thrust wasn't handled judiciously in icy conditions, this could have been the result.

But....there will be an investigation, and it will no doubt make a conclusive finding.

Edited by F4UCorsair

2 hours ago, F4UCorsair said:

And dozens of other runways in the world, including ones I know well, Sydney, Australia, Denpasar, Bali, Haneda and Kansai, Japan, Kai Tak, Hong Kong (now closed), among them.

Runways in close proximity to, and jutting out into the sea are common.

Try these............

Image result for dangerous runways close to the seaImage result for dangerous runways close to the sea

image.jpegImage result for dangerous runways close to the sea

image.jpeg

Sydney and Phuket I have flown in and out and many more by the sea, just haven't seen them so close to the side, i.e. one mishap and your all wet, so to speak

13 hours ago, mitsubishi said:

No, it's more crazy letting retards fly airplanes when it's obviously beyond them. If you think the seaside is a crazy place to have a runway, you should see what it's like landing at Hong Kong Airport! ;)

So I have seen and heard, although I will pass.....555

On 15/01/2018 at 11:34 AM, worgeordie said:

They have brake failures in Turkey too !

regards worgeordie

Airplanes don't stop using brakes they use reverse thrust and deploy the flappes.

The fatal accident Samui was a Turboprop ATR on landing due to a technical fault only one propeller went into reverse causing an asymmetric reverse thrust condition and the pilot lost control. Same thing probably happened in Turkey. Also it was reported to have been raining. Some runways are not grooved andthus slippery when wet. A miracle no one was hurt. Unfortunately the Samui pilot was killed when they rammed  into the control tower.

On 15/01/2018 at 9:41 AM, 4MyEgo said:

Think about this a little more runways are directly adjacent to bodies water all over the world.

Edited by ChiangMaiLightning2143

Think about this a little more runways are directly adjacent to bodies water all over the world.

CML, I don't know where you get your info, but aircraft use both wheel braking AND reverse thrust to stop, and the trend is away from using reverse, rather than not using brakes. In fact, it's likely reverse won't be installed in future generation aircraft. The weight penalty is about a tonne per engine on a 747, and they burn a lot of fuel, hence emissions. 

Flaps aren't used as a stopping aid, speed brakes are, deployed automatically (but 'armed' by pilots prior to landing) on touchdown, dumping lift and transferring weight from wings to landing gear.

Water doesn't make runways 'slippery'; the danger with standing water is aquaplaning, minimized by runway grooving.

A failure of the reverse thrust would be the least likely scenario. It's most effective at high speed, i.e., just after touchdown, and would have had almost zero effect at that point on the runway. Prop reverse is quite different.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Looks like a long runway, plenty of room to land but no taxi lane so the pilot has to do a turn right 180 at the end to taxi back to the terminal. Could the airplane hydroplaned (American English) and the pilot somehow overcompensated ending up going instead left and down the embankment? Same thing happened at Khon Kaen Airport a few years ago, but only TG only got stuck in the mud.  This plane is surely a total loss.

These taxy lane free airports appear quite dangerous. As a passenger I'd avoid them also ones atop a 200 foot embankment to the sea with no guardrails!

4 hours ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Airplanes don't stop using brakes they use reverse thrust and deploy the flappes.

QUOTE AIRBUS A380

Truth be told, in the megaliner’s braking system, thrust reversers are the least critical components. Airliners are not required to have thrust reversers, and only the two inboard engines on the A380 are equipped with them. The decision not to install reversers on the A380’s two outboard engines saved weight and lowered the chances that those engines, which sometimes hang over runway edges, would be damaged by ingesting foreign objects.

The two reversers do help slow the A380—but not by much. In fact, unlike the thrust reversers on most airliners, including the Boeing 747 jumbo, they do not stop the aircraft in a shorter distance than brakes and spoilers alone. They do, however, take some of the strain off the brakes and are useful if water or snow makes the runway slippery.