Do you think living in Chiang Mai will shorten your lifespan?

music065

On 1/23/2018 at 12:01 PM, idman said:

Only if I sit on my ar..se drinking beer or hard booze everyday.  Only if I stop exercising early in the morning and after the sun goes down.  Only if I eat processed and fried foods on a daily basis.  Only if I have unprotected sex with the twinkies.  A heathy mind equals a healthy body.

I cannot explain, rationally, why this post/thhread reminds me of:

"... thank the gods that they have made you superior to those events which they have not placed within your own control, rendered you accountable for that only which is within you own control For what, then, have they made you responsible? For that which is alone in your own power—a right use of things as they appear." Discourses of Epictetus Book I:12

Could it have been the day-old jok plaa from Somphet Jok that I weirded up with a little squeezed-out imported wasabi, and ate cold ? The belly rumbles, the mind stumbles into jumbles ?

It was a lovely day, here, today; a friend called me from Bangkok, and said he didn't know which was worse, the rains, or the smog.

Ursula LeGuin is gone, this world is less one wise woman. She wrote in "Dispossessed:"

"It is our suffering that brings us together. It is not love. Love does not obey the mind, it turns to hate when forced. The bond that binds us is beyond choice. We are brothers. We are brothers in what we share. In pain, which each of us must suffer alone, in hunger, in poverty, in hope, we know our brotherhood. We know it, because we have been forced to learn it. We know that there is no help for us but from one another, that no hand will save us if we do not reach out our hand. And the hand that you reach out is empty, as mine is. You have nothing. You possess nothing. You own nothing. You are free. All you have is what you are, and what you give."

We continue ... to breathe.

~o:37;

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO living anywhere in LOS is statistically likely to result in a shorter lifespan compared to developed countries due to accidents, pollution, contaminated food, fake drugs, lack of maintenance, counterfeit components, structural failures, poor emergency medical care, general ignorance and lack of respect for responsibility/life/environment, corruption,  infectious disease...

....As will the risk sports I participate in. Some of the best things in life are accompanied by increased risk...

The longest life possible isn't all that long anyway...

10 minutes ago, cloudhopper said:

IMO living anywhere in LOS is statistically likely to result in a shorter lifespan compared to developed countries due to accidents, pollution, contaminated food, fake drugs, lack of maintenance, counterfeit components, structural failures, poor emergency medical care, general ignorance and lack of respect for responsibility/life/environment, corruption,  infectious disease...

....As will the risk sports I participate in. Some of the best things in life are accompanied by increased risk...

Well said!!

8 hours ago, cloudhopper said:

If life expectancy is most important, one should move to....Hong Kong.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/13-countries-with-the-highest-life-expectancies-2017-12/#-13-canada-norway-and-israel-821-years-1

Of course, lifestyle, diet, exercise, healthcare, genes, stress, attitude, etc., probably more important.

Edited by Berkshire

On ‎21‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 11:23 AM, canthai55 said:

To be fair most air pollution in CNX comes from neighboring countries. Myanmar, Laos, Kampuchea, ...

As prevailing air flow is from the West, due to the Coriolis force, that is the most likely source.

No. Definitely not. Cycling almost every morning about 60 km mostly countryside around CNX I clearly see where the smoke comes from: Private fires. Farmers getting rid of orchard waste, grandmas sweeping leaves and burning them, simply burning of daily garbage to save some baht for the black bags ... Day in, day out, around the year.
Every year I spend 2 months in Europe. The air over there is an indulgance compared with here. Visibility more than 50 km on any day ...
But every year I'm happy to fly back home ...
Don't ask me why ...
And who knows how many years The Almighty (if any) has in planning for me ...?
Nonsense question ...

@rebo says he spends 2 months per year outside T'land, but during the other 10 months he sees small fires in CM province every day, therefore he concludes the bad air pollution is NOT from nearby countries but right here at home.

However, i must ask rebo...which 2 months per year do you spend in Europe?  If March and April then obviously your conclusions are very biased and mistaken.