Do I have enough money?

nopsled

11 hours ago, nopsled said:

I will inherit at some point, as things stand @£200k but that could be a while yet.  Parent age 76 in good health.  Hopefully will stay that way for many years.  I think I'm getting the picture.

Don't bank on an inheritance, I have always thought I would inherit at some point but parents now reached 91, mother in care home father's health seemingly deteriorating, once he dies the house will go to mother and if she survives another 5/6 years no doubt care home fees will eat the lot.

• Like 2

Why don't you rent for 1-2 years before investing that much money, and also to test out your relationship? Many guys have made similar mistakes and we all know how that works out. I had a Thai girlfriend once who wanted to marry me and then build her a house in Isan. I never did so she got some other guy to buy her said house and married him. I dodged a bullet!!! 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, nopsled said:

I'll have about £160k.  Everything I have.  No pension.  I can feel the heat from here!  Let the flames commence ;-)

This is absolutely not enough money for a 54 year old to live the rest of his days in Thailand.  You could reasonably expect to live for another 30 years or so - and quite possibly could live a lot longer.  You'll run out of money long before you run out of time - and being a broke foreigner in Thailand ain't fun!

• Like 2

What ever happens You will end up with a  broken heart and be broken economical..

After a time no girlfriend, no house and no money and what then ?!?!

Don't ever fall in to that trap, as so many foreigners painfully has done before You.

End of story !

Edited by Nielsk
  • Like 2

please stop and think more realisticly about YOUR  future...you have had lots of sensible advise so far--

do you realy know this lady ?? once you have spent lge amount of money building a house-you then have NO  further control of it---how clever is that??

as stated,at 54 yrs, you still have quite a few more years before you obtain pension, then when you do, your chances to earn extra income, or even any income, in thailand-is limited..this then restricts your lifestyle for the next 30+yrs..

im sure your parents wont be that happy leaving inheritance to you--after a thai lady has already bled you---this most likely would happen again with their money...

it seems like many expats leave their brains behind in the company of beautiful thai woman....

if your "friendship "cant work without spending your lifetime savings on them-you are better to move on..

money is everything to thai women--if you dont have it--YOU are nothing--nobody will want you....

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, timendres said:

If you decide to come, do not build the house. That will be a fatal error.

Find a cheap house to rent, obtain a cheap used car.

Give it a year or two. Then you will know for yourself what is possible.

....and even after a year or two I would never invest money in to something I don't have 100 % control of and risk to loose every thing. Without money You are a zero in Thailand  !

• Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, dutchman said:

i had one advise i always kept in mind when i start start going to thailand and that is to be worth more alive as dead.

The way you thinking is an dead end streat.

Not everybody has the luck of meeting and having a good lady with a good family

What has a village in Sussex got to do with it?

• Confused 2

14 hours ago, JAS21 said:

With no other income and just 6.8M thb and only 54 and 10-12 years before you will get any pension ... your dreams look just a touch unrealistic. Do you expect to receive an inheritance ...

Now if you have a degree ...you can teach english and then that is a different matter ..

You don't need a degree to teach English, all you have to do is pass the TEFL Exam and get yourself registered.

Personally, I think you have insufficient capital to build a house and then live off the balance.  I would also strongly recommend that you rent, live with the potential new Family for four years of more so that you can get to know the Lady really well and that you will not then loose your investment in a house, or buy a condo in your own name.  A house on bought land would not be in your name.  Be very, very careful.  The amount of foreigners who have failed to take off the rose tinted glasses and then ended up loosing their hard earned savings in Thailand are legion.  On the other hand some relationships work out very well and as they say.........live happily ever after!

• Like 2

OP .... you can build a house for as little as 40k ,  standard 2 bed block & tile.   The problem I see is that 160k is not enough to keep you going another 30+ years ..

you need a small income ....  period   !!     this is the only way to ensure you can live reasonable year after year. (  eg ; a  renter back in the UK or wherever  ) in your name obviously.

Even if the wife works,  and with your 160k  .... you don't just want to keep spending that as it won't last 5 yrs, then what ???

So .... always remember ,  to live in Thailand one needs a small monthly income year in year out.   That way the 160k is in the bank for emergency, maybe buy a small rental in Thailand , a car, and other special requirements. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, DUS said:

I don´t disagree in principle with what you are saying above but was surprised when you said that GBP 400k should be considered the bare minimum for a 60 year old. I don´t know about the current life expectancy of Australian men but even at 50k Baht per month your 400k GBP minimum would last for almost 30 years. Yes, I know, I´ve ignored inflation in this calculation and health costs are always an unknown and potentially financially disastrous factor in anyone´s budget plan but still, I find 400,000 Pounds or over 17 million baht too much to be considered the bare minimum. Anyway, that was just a thought when reading your post.

As for the OP, I agree with the what´s been said on this thread so far: 100,000 Pounds after building the house etc will not be enough if you cannot supplement it with additional income whilst living over here.

Good to see a helpful debate going on. There are of course many reported successful relationships forged in Thailand but uni-formally not coming of such a low investment base. The good natured sage advice offered here should be accepted as such, still good to remember, that even successful relationships are a work in progress and it pays to have an exit strategy that allows for survival.

Just my two cents worth, have a real good scroll through a few threads on here this I strongly advise. Do u have enough money, how long is a piece of string? Do your homework well before making the move, be extra careful if u plan on buying or building a house do not put it in your ladies name at all costs. Consider a company title, or maybe a decent size condo which u can purchase. Medical I think is a must but that is my opinion. Good luck. I hope all works out for you

1 hour ago, peterb17 said:

Heaven forbid you become ill- there is no NHS , after you live here for a while- you are denied treatment back home- so insurance is necessary in my opinion - that’s expensive- money every year.

From Age UK.

A British citizen who resumes settled residence in the UK is immediately entitled to free NHS care. If a British citizen resides only overseas and is visiting the UK, they may be charged.

So, I guess all you need do is say I have just moved back ! Failing that, hit an immigration officer, straight to the nick - first question, any health problems ? Yes. Free treatment, since you are in their care.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, nopsled said:

I'll have about £160k.  Everything I have.  No pension.  I can feel the heat from here!  Let the flames commence ;-)

No need for you to put up with the flaming that you're going to get.  You know the answer if you really have to ask that question and you should also know that Thaivisa is a daft place to ask for that kind of advice.  

• Like 1