425,000 baht for a scooter....no really.

AllanB

Just been shopping to get some potatoes, carrots and fuktongs and what should I find outside Tescos, an array of big expensive Honda bikes?

Not a "Transalp" or an "Africa Twin", ....this "Adventure Scooter" goes under the catchy name of XADV!! Enough to really get the testosterone flowing and the price for this scooter covered in breakable plastic is 425,000 baht, at least that is what the woman at Tesco told me. Plus what a great place to promote it to the "Grey Baht Brigade" where most of the guys in the centre are not even allowed out on their own.

Who is this for and an adventurer with a parka ? Who wants a 1/4 ton scooter....

The marketing men had better get busy.....

Edited by AllanB

We had a thread about this before, it's on the market for a while now.

I think riding it should be quite comfortable, and actually i also think it's somehow cool.

But the joke is... it's a scooter, based on the Honda NC750. Now you would expect to get some extra storage space to put your groceries, but what did they do? Remove the storage.

So the NC750 X/S has more storage than the scooter and is cheaper.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Bueno.!

Looks comfy.

...be good for 2-up riding.

SUV scooter.

Would need two people to lift up anyway.

Many modern bells + whistles.

Does it have auto chain-oiler or heated-grips ?

Well forget it then.

Edited by papa al

The point is the design brief of an "Adventure Scooter" and what kind of adventure is likely on this?

A rather difficult trip to Tescos? Some good news, the fact that it has no storage means the return trip will be less arduous.

21 minutes ago, AllanB said:

The point is the design brief of an "Adventure Scooter" and what kind of adventure is likely on this?

A rather difficult trip to Tescos? Some good news, the fact that it has no storage means the return trip will be less arduous.

The same adventures that you could do with for example a "BMW R 1200 GS Adventure" or any of the "adventure" bikes of the other manufacturers or with for example a SUV (which you could call "adventure car").

95% of the time these vehicles are bought purely for the look of it and not because they would offer any advantage. But if you have to ride a gravel road, or a road with a lot of potholes and bumps, an adventure bike, scooter or car is more comfortable to ride than a regular version, but of course these vehicles are not supposed to be taken seriously offroad.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, jackdd said:

The same adventures that you could do with for example a "BMW R 1200 GS Adventure" or any of the "adventure" bikes of the other manufacturers or with for example a SUV (which you could call "adventure car").

95% of the time these vehicles are bought purely for the look of it and not because they would offer any advantage. But if you have to ride a gravel road, or a road with a lot of potholes and bumps, an adventure bike, scooter or car is more comfortable to ride than a regular version, but of course these vehicles are not supposed to be taken seriously offroad.

Exactly.

'Waves' go where no 'adventure bike' would dare.

But they are big & quite expensive so like status symbol.

Important to many folks.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, papa al said:

!Carumba!

Did you watch the video ?

Full helmet storage  ++ under seat.

He probably took this from my post, and it seems i remembered this wrong, somehow i had in my mind that it doesn't even store a helmet.

But the storage size is still quite small if you compare it to other bigger scooters (it seems to be even a bit smaller than the storage in a PCX150), and a Honda NC750 X/S can also store a helmet.

For a NEW SCOOTER-- 50,000 -100,000 in Chiang Mai.. 

200 cc and up is a motorcycle, big difference in terminology, weight, fuel position, brakes, style, seat, drive components.

A 750 and a 1200 are motorcycles.

Edited by themerg

1 hour ago, Dene16 said:

What an abomination this so called bike is. Nearly as bad as 'what i call the fat farang bike (PCX), only ridden by farangs that are so overweight they need the extra power (very rare to see one ridden by someone under 16st)

May appeal to some very ageing bikers that believe, in a country filled with scooters, this actually looks good

You really need to get out more the PCX is very popular with Thai's.   Spotted a little old lady buzzing down the road last week on a Forza. 

1 hour ago, Dene16 said:

What an abomination this so called bike is. Nearly as bad as 'what i call the fat farang bike (PCX), only ridden by farangs that are so overweight they need the extra power (very rare to see one ridden by someone under 16st)

May appeal to some very ageing bikers that believe, in a country filled with scooters, this actually looks good

It seems you missed the last few years. A few years ago, when i also bought my PCX, the PCX could be indeed called "farang bike". But by now it seems to me that most Farangs go for the, in my opinion too, better Nmax. Today you see a lot of Thais on PCX, and especially buying new PCX, because somehow they don't seem to know that the Nmax is better, or they just buy the PCX because the image of the bike is "cooler" it seems.

If you got the money why not?

But I guess the poor mans version would be the PCX, Aerox, 150-155 C.C.  I'm not fat at 63 Kilos and the PCX does real good.

Just saw another bike Yamaha, X max or something a big version looking Aerox, 300 C.C.  price I thought was really good 168,000

4 hours ago, themerg said:

200 cc and up is a motorcycle, big difference in terminology, weight, fuel position, brakes, style, seat, drive components.

The original Vespa Motor Scooter of 1946.

5a71b7c99a2c6_featured-image-vespa-70-years-230416original.jpg.7b61e62d8180ef1013a572aa161c87a9.jpg

Everything claiming/purporting to be a "scooter" has to be compared to this design concept (styling, frame/body configuration, engine/drive configuration, wheel/tyre size and type) to justify the name.  Actual engine capacity is irrelevant and just being a step-through/underbone small capacity motorcycle with larger diameter "thin" wheels and tyres (which is what is mostly seen in Thailand) does not qualify.

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Enoon said:

Everything claiming/purporting to be a "scooter" has to be compared to this design concept (styling, frame/body configuration, engine/drive configuration, wheel/tyre size and type) to justify the name.  Actual engine capacity is irrelevant and just being a step-through/underbone small capacity motorcycle with larger diameter "thin" wheels and tyres (which is what is mostly seen in Thailand) does not qualify.

But many people will call a bike of any size that comes with an automatic-type transmission a "scooter". 

Edited by Issanman

6 hours ago, themerg said:

a Vespa inspired model is a scooter, CC's got nothing to do with it. 

• Like 2

It's a Honda ....... so ultra reliable, but for the money it really is a designers folly. The style is really 60's back to the Ariel Arrow days ........ really ugly. No storage ........... this is a definite mistake. The price? ....... think they will stay in the showroom, gather dust & eventually end up on a fire sale at year end. Sad really as Honda have built some great bikes ...... I've spent many years thrashing Fireblades around europe, real value for money. Hmmm ...... thinks, they don't make 'em like that anymore!!

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

One could buy a Nissan March or Honda Brio (manual) for that money, have just as much fun, and not become one of the 80% of road deaths in Thailand.

# This "thing" is truly 'orrible. Seen it in the flesh. Not my cup of tea at all -------------- but..................

# This is a motorcycle forum. You don't like powered 2 wheelers, then there is no point commenting on any topics here.

# Everyone, inc motorcyclists themselves, realize that 2 wheels are more dangerous than a 4 wheeled box. But we don't care.

# So, some bikes cost in excess of 1 million Baht, i'm not interested in what car you can buy for the equivalent money.

# So your point is what exactly?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

It seems that you never rode a motorbike

Indeed.

Anybody who comes out with a statement like that has never ridden a m/c.

Hell i'd have more fun riding a Honda 110cc Wave than any non descript small universal, dull hatchback car...

• Like 1