Stock phrases as yet another Pattaya tourist robbed by snatch thief

webfact

Stock phrases as yet another Pattaya tourist robbed by snatch thief

5pm.jpg

Picture: Sophon Cable

A female Thai tourist from Buriram was the latest victim of snatch theft in Pattaya yesterday.

In Soi Na Klua 16, Bang Lamung a motorcyclist in full face helmet snatched a bag belonging to 22 year old Wanida Saenkla who was out walking at 2.30 am.

Inside the bag was 3,000 baht in cash and a one baht weight gold chain as well as many documents.

Sophon Cable TV reported on Facebook using phrases now very familiar to Thais following the news from the resort especially that concerning the frequent incidence of snatch theft.

They said: "The police radioed ahead but the suspect had disappeared without a trace. Now they are studying CCTV to get a lead and bring the criminal to justice".

Posters on Facebook responded in similar predictable fashion by saying in unison....."Not again"!

Source: Sophon Cable

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-01-31

Am sorry but I'm going to stand up for common sense. As a fit 110kg plus guy if I am walking back home in the uk at 02.30am I am utterly making sure I know whats around me, if I am carrying a man wallet, bum bag or whatever bag you want to call it that is visible to a 3rd party.

Obviously I dont condone the theft but this happens the world over to people who take no basic precautions

I am often surprised that this does not occur more, especially after seeing the amount of people who walk around cities completely unaware of the 'snatch risk'...  I see handbags held on the 'outside' or left open, phones readily visible for a pick-pockets etc, 

Confrontational crime is fairly rare in Thailand, this is part of what makes Thailand a pleasant place to live and is an indication of how inherently good people are here. 

That said, we all need to be alert, the more the media publicises these handbag snatches the more likely we are to be exposed to 'copy cat crime'.

26 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I am often surprised that this does not occur more, especially after seeing the amount of people who walk around cities completely unaware of the 'snatch risk'...  I see handbags held on the 'outside' or left open, phones readily visible for a pick-pockets etc, 

Confrontational crime is fairly rare in Thailand, this is part of what makes Thailand a pleasant place to live and is an indication of how inherently good people are here. 

That said, we all need to be alert, the more the media publicises these handbag snatches the more likely we are to be exposed to 'copy cat crime'.

I agree about the seemingly low frequency of occurrence given what I see on the streets. I am always bringing to my wife's attention how vulnerable she leaves her handbag/phone when we are out and about.

As in EVERY country, Thailand has its share of criminals.

What I don't understand - in general - is:

1) why a woman would be walking alone at that time, lucky only robbed!

2) why people wear gold chains / cameras / carry big bags with so much in them, etc, that time of the morning, walk alone.

3) why people don't remember the "rule" →→ safety in numbers.

Cops can NOT be everywhere at all times.

2 hours ago, edwardflory said:

2) why people wear gold chains / cameras / carry big bags with so much in them, etc, that time of the morning, walk alone.

Where in the story does it say she was alone?

On 1/31/2018 at 9:54 AM, Chivas said:

Am sorry but I'm going to stand up for common sense. As a fit 110kg plus guy if I am walking back home in the uk at 02.30am I am utterly making sure I know whats around me, if I am carrying a man wallet, bum bag or whatever bag you want to call it that is visible to a 3rd party.

Obviously I dont condone the theft but this happens the world over to people who take no basic precautions

Personally , if I am walking home at 2.30am, I doubt a motorcycle snatch thief would be able to coordinate with my wobbles. If it was in the UK, I would be in a taxi.

I am still a fan of a grenade on a string in the handbag.

On 1/31/2018 at 2:07 PM, edwardflory said:

Pattaya is a night-time place, there are loads of women walking around at that time.

If you are in from another town, there may not be any secure place in the hotel, and their habit is to wear or carry their valuables. Surprisingly some just are unaware of the risks.

Cops are nowhere to be seen at that time, you may have a few wannabe falangs hanging around Walking St there for after the event. I had my gold chain snatched  mid-afternoon while out on my bike.

Still, I feel safer in Pattaya than I would my home UK town.

Edited by jacko45k

On 31 มกราคม 2561 at 11:14 AM, richard_smith237 said:

much more of this in Kuala Lumpur than here but i have seen it twice in Bangkok both of the victims were standing alone and their phones snatched by two guys on a motorbike one time in front of the Jasmine building on Sukhumvit and another in front of a car dealership in Ratchoyothin.