And so the exodus of quality expats begins. This time it's personal

8. 34

Indian Woman Strips in Defence Against Theft Claim

9. 38

Are Older Men in Thailand Trading Love for Financial Ruin

10. 165

Ukraine ... Enlighten yourself

11. 2,488

Thai gov. to tax (remitted) income from abroad for tax residents starting 2024 - Part II

12. 165

Ukraine ... Enlighten yourself

13. 25

Israeli Interrogator Warns of Continued Violence as Long as Hamas Leader Sinwar Lives

14. 72

A good hotdog

Russian woman, 20, charged in Phuket for toilet bleaching dead corals

snoop1130

Russian woman, 20, charged in Phuket for toilet bleaching dead corals

Tanyaluk Sakoot

1517571977_1-org.jpg

PHUKET:-- A 20-year-old Russian woman faces a fine of up to B20,000 or up to a year in jail, or both, after a neighbour reported seeing her literally trying to bleach pieces of coral with toilet bleach at her rented bungalow in Karon on Wednesday (Jan 31).

The woman, Liliya Karmanova, was arrested yesterday (Feb 1) and is now being detained at the holding cells at Phuket Provincial Court, Capt Channarong Prakongkue of the Karon Police told The Phuket News this afternoon.

Ms Karmonva was arrested after a warrant was issued, and subsequently served by the Karon Police, explained Nares Choopueng from the Department of Marine and Coastal Resources (DMCR) Phuket office.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/russian-woman-20-charged-in-phuket-for-toilet-bleaching-dead-corals-65834.php#ffbSyDf2SXxPkm0m.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-2-2

Nah, Sorry! This is wrong on way too many levels.

A Woman faces arrest for bleaching "dead coral?"

I mean if it is dead it is a bit late for concerns over preservation or conservation.

And a neighbour happens to spot and report it. Biggest  issue to me in this story is who reported it, who are they and what had their neighbour done to piss them off?

The depth of stupidity in an arrest, reminds me of the Russian woman arrested last year facing a year in jail for feeding some fish.

Keep coming, stupid tourists. Thailand's courts and judicial system depend on your contributions.

Edited by darksidedog
Typo

5 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I mean if it is dead it is a bit late for concerns over preservation or conservation.

And a neighbour happens to spot and report it. Biggest  issue to me in this story is who reported it, who are they and what had their neighbour done to piss them off?

The depth of stupidity in an arrest, reminds me of the Russian woman arrested last year facing a year in jail for feeding some fish.

Keep coming, stupid tourists. Thailand's courts and judicial system depend on your contributions.

From the original article, the charge is "it is illegal to be in possession of any corals", not the bleaching. Usual misleading title.

I agree with the rest of your post.

7 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Agfain, for the upteenth time, that woman was not arrested for fish feeding, she was an illegal tourguide, bailed by her tour company.

And of course the corals are dead, since they are out of the water. Illegal to possess them here in Thailand and in many countries around the world, also illegal to import them into many countries.

Excfellent finally something is done about the marine environment here.

It's getting more ridiculous every day here.

I agree, what is shown on the picture are pieces of sea debris with zero value. I dont see how this can harm nature (except for using the bleach)
The few pieces of so called coral are probably already dead for a long long time...
But never mind the jet skis and speed boats

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

8 minutes ago, luk AJ said:

I agree, what is shown on the picture are pieces of sea debris with zero value. I dont see how this can harm nature (except for using the bleach)
The few pieces of so called coral are probably already dead for a long long time...
But never mind the jet skis and speed boats

Go and try importing coral into the UK, Germany or many other Western countries and when caught tell them it's already dead, possibly for a long time. And anyway those jet skis, speed boats etc do a lot of damage.

Do let us know how you get on.

20 minutes ago, Deli said:

It's getting more ridiculous every day here.

More than 90 percent of world's coral reefs will die by 2050

Earth has already lost half of its 'underwater rainforests' over last 30 years

.independent.co.uk/environment/environment-90-percent-coral-reefs-die-2050-climate-change-bleaching-pollution-a7626911.html

You won't have to put up with it much longer

Collecting dead coral is alike the picking up old dead wood (say for firewood) from a State forest

it is not necessarily about the item itself, but whatever it is, it may just form a habitat for other 'wildlife'

say you were caught with Ivory, a dead tusk!

Technically you cannot prove it as not yourself that killed the elephant.

More so one is seen as feeding an illegal trade of protected life

3 hours ago, stevenl said:

Excfellent finally something is done about the marine environment here.

Stopping people from picking up dead corals (much like picking up dead wood in a forest) is good I agree, but what about the bigger picture.

Just look at the queues of divers and snorkelers at Chalong Pier or at the busloads of chinese boarding speedboats on Rawai beach. There should be a system to stop diving at a certain location for 2 years to let it recover, and rotate to other locations. Then put a cap on the numbers.

But as each diver is worth money today, and tomorrow we'll see.

Go and try importing coral into the UK, Germany or many other Western countries and when caught tell them it's already dead, possibly for a long time. And anyway those jet skis, speed boats etc do a lot of damage.

Do let us know how you get on.

Thanks, I am doing well.
I am sure that at the border in the UK, they will be more clever and recognize that these pieces of coral were worn out by sand for many years. Further, there is no value in this.
Sorry you didn’t catch my sarcastic remark about jet skis..

1 minute ago, luk AJ said:

Thanks, I am doing well.
I am sure that at the border in the UK, they will be more clever and recognize that these pieces of coral were worn out by sand for many years. Further, there is no value in this.
Sorry you didn’t catch my sarcastic remark about jet skis..

Go and try it. I'm sure you'll find the UK Customs officers to be highly intelligent and sympathetic to your reasoning. Just like they would if you explained your ivory object game from an elephant that died of natural cause many years ago.

2 minutes ago, quadperfect said:

You got to watch youre back.

This country is so backwards.

Go to jail for feeding fish,picking up dead coral,smoking on a beach,vaping.

But you can pretty much do as you please as long as youre not doing those things.

As I no longer go fishing, and have never done those other things, this country is paradise for me!

Go and try it. I'm sure you'll find the UK Customs officers to be highly intelligent and sympathetic to your reasoning. Just like they would if you explained your ivory object game from an elephant that died of natural cause many years ago.

Not same, an ivory object from 100y ago or fresh from a shot animal has the same value. How much value you estimate is represented on the picture?

I think this is a bit over the top.  When I used to frequent Ao Sane, there were literally thousands of pieces of dead coral in amongst the bigger rocks, landlocked forever.  Should the bungalows that are there be charged for harboring dead coral since they didn't put it back in the ocean and it's on their property?  

10 hours ago, arithai12 said:

Stopping people from picking up dead corals (much like picking up dead wood in a forest) is good I agree, but what about the bigger picture.

Just look at the queues of divers and snorkelers at Chalong Pier or at the busloads of chinese boarding speedboats on Rawai beach. There should be a system to stop diving at a certain location for 2 years to let it recover, and rotate to other locations. Then put a cap on the numbers.

But as each diver is worth money today, and tomorrow we'll see.

Maybe you missed the closed dive and snorkeling sites?

6 hours ago, steelepulse said:

I think this is a bit over the top.  When I used to frequent Ao Sane, there were literally thousands of pieces of dead coral in amongst the bigger rocks, landlocked forever.  Should the bungalows that are there be charged for harboring dead coral since they didn't put it back in the ocean and it's on their property?  

Very strange comparison.

There is a reason important dead corals is banned worldwide.

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 9:55 PM, darksidedog said:

I am here in pattaya and walk the beach every day..the dredging from the sand rejuvenation project in pattaya bay destroys and washes pieces of broken coral up daily,yet this practice is ok...amusing thailand

15 hours ago, stevenl said:

Maybe you missed the closed dive and snorkeling sites?

I noticed that. I think they are not the main ones. See what happened to Racha Yai, probably the best place close to Phuket, in the last five years since the chinese invasion.

But maybe you are right that things are a-changing, let's hope so at least.

On 2/3/2018 at 7:58 PM, stevenl said:

Very strange comparison.

There is a reason important dead corals is banned worldwide.

What are you on about.  I said nothing about importing dead coral, only gave my observation about a lot of pieces of dead coral at a certain beach who should be charged under the law if this Russian lady also got charged for having dead coral.

5 hours ago, steelepulse said:

What are you on about.  I said nothing about importing dead coral, only gave my observation about a lot of pieces of dead coral at a certain beach who should be charged under the law if this Russian lady also got charged for having dead coral.

Coral on a beach is not the same as taking corals home.

You made a strange comparison.