Ford unleashes first-ever Ranger ‘Raptor’

snoop1130

Ford unleashes first-ever Ranger ‘Raptor’

By The Nation

8007f5bc712fbddfae2433835b89d1b1.jpeg

The first-ever Ranger Raptor, Ford’s new off-road, performance pickup truck, blasted out from behind its camouflage during a reveal event in Thailand on Thursday, according to a media release.

The ultimate Ranger is purposefully designed, built and tested to set a benchmark as the only factory-built performance truck across the Asia Pacific. Designed by Ford Performance team for the true enthusiast “off-roader”, Ford Ranger Raptor strengthens Ford’s commitment to deliver “built Ford tough” pickup trucks to customers in the region, said the release.

“We are so excited and proud to unleash this vehicle to the public, driving it really makes you feel like a hero,” said Jamal Hameedi, chief engineer, Ford Performance.

“The Ford Performance team is excited to extend the Raptor name from our flagship off-road performance F-150 to Ranger. Just like the F-150 Raptor, the Ranger Raptor builds upon the core capability of the range of vehicles it comes from and carries the unmistakable Ford Performance DNA appearance.”

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30338340

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-2-8

Not bad ... 210 HP offroad. But still a Thai bummer : bring the real (F150)  Raptor benzin engine, with 3.5 liter Eco boost 450 HP on the Thai market, then it has the right to be called a Raptor ( and I'll be very interested ). 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

I read somewhere that the new 2 litre engine makes MORE power and, more importantly,  MORE torque than the older 3.2 litre lump....

It was the same in one of my previous cars... 

The facelifted model was improved from a 6 Cylinder 3.0 Litre to a 4 Cylinder 2.0 Litre Twin Turbo which had more Torque and was faster... 

But - many Truck buyers may only look at the 'big figure' - the Engine Size... 

I guess the Tax takes care of the rest - Putting a Twin Turbo on a 3.2 Litre Engine would significantly increase the HP and bring it way above the Tax Threshold thus pricing the car out of the local market - it's already expensive for a pickup truck. 

• Like 2

This sounded promising, but the puny little engine is a real turn off. What a freaking joke. And don't fall for the peak power spec as this is not that important no matter how you try to sugar coat it. I'd like to see the dyno to get a real idea about an engine. Check this quote from: NEW FORD RANGER RAPTOR ‘IS NOT ABOUT THE ENGINE’

Ford Performance’s chief engineer has reacted to criticism of the brand’s choice of powerplant for the new Ranger Raptor. "If you’re talking about power; if you’re focused on power, that’s not a Raptor. That’s not what Raptor’s about. It’s about the chassis and the suspension"

So unfortunately, it's a truck for grannies. And I would say the same thing if Toyota pulled a stunt like this.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

I read somewhere that the new 2 litre engine makes MORE power and, more importantly,  MORE torque than the older 3.2 litre lump....

One can make power via muscle (cubic capacity) or add a turbo or two to a small displacement engine...The problem lies if/when things go wrong with turbo stuff...

• Like 1

Some of you folks are exactly the kind of buyer Ford is banking on and I am sure they have done their market research. Ford understands they can pump up what appears to be a big bad truck, then only need to put in a puny, underpowered engine not befitting of such a vehicle because there are people that will still like it. I fear Ford made the right decision. And for enthusiasts, this pickup is not only a no-go, but a set back to the industry with such a low bar for other manufacturers to compete with.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, canopy said:

Some of you folks are exactly the kind of buyer Ford is banking on and I am sure they have done their market research. Ford understands they can pump up what appears to be a big bad truck, then only need to put in a puny, underpowered engine not befitting of such a vehicle because there are people that will still like it. I fear Ford made the right decision. And for enthusiasts, this pickup is not only a no-go, but a set back to the industry with such a low bar for other manufacturers to compete with.

True ..... I want one!  :biggrin:

• Like 1

Even the chief engineer at Ford is having trouble defending the weak engine. Here is an excuse he made: “And, honestly, when you go off-road, the whole idea behind this is conservation of speed. So, you’re not braking, accelerating, braking, accelerating. You just need a powerplant to keep you going”. He said it, not me.  If that doesn't put to rest how doggy this pos engine is, I don't know what will.

As has always been true - all other things being equal - there is no replacement for displacement.

Spending the week in Cambodia, and see all those Lexus, Range Rovers, Toyota Tundras, F150`s, Escalades  ... all with V8`s ...

Crying Shame

Edited by canthai55
  • Like 1