Is there a word for one time enjoyable experiences that you don't want to ever repeat?

Jingthing

Exhilaration, It was exhilarating when I reached 220 kilometres per hour on my Kawasaki ZZR 1100 some years ago along a straight stretch of road with clear vision for at least 3 kilometres, but I knew afterwards that I could never return to that exhilarating speed as the front end started to vibrate, which sent shivers down my spine.  

Now that is something I would love to do again, but know that it wouldn't leave the same taste in my mouth, due to weighing up the fear, although when you get there, the fear is gone, but you have to get there first, for me, a once only event.

Don't know if that is the word your looking for, because I don't believe there is a word to fit what your looking for, but best I could come up with.

Nobody has hit it because I still think the word or phrase doesn't exist.

I think it should exist.

I don't think people are even getting the concept which might be my fault for not explaining it well enough.

I'll try again with a food example.

As a rough generalization, three typical reactions to trying a new food might be --

This sucks, never again.

This is fantastic. I definitely want this again, maybe even for the rest of my life, if possible.

That was an interesting experience. I'm really glad I tried it. Now I know about that. I feel richer for having tried it. I enjoyed having the experience. It was pleasant. It definitely did NOT suck. But it's really not something that I would feel the desire to ever repeat and I know that already.

I'm talking about the LATTER type of reaction to a new food, experience, sexual partner, etc. 

On the food example, it could even be a VERSION of a dish that is in the category of foods you want to repeat.

For example, you try a pizza at a new restaurant. Your reaction is as the explanation for the pizza at THAT restaurant. But you're still on for future pizzas at other places in general. 

Edited by Jingthing

Children.

More applicable to women than men though.

eg woman likes sex with husband, has child, stops liking sex.

eg woman likes to look good, has child, stops caring.

eg man and woman go out and enjoy dancing etc, have a child, no longer go out dancing, etc.

I'm sure we all know lots of other examples.

18 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Nobody has hit it because I still think the word or phrase doesn't exist.

I think it should exist.

I don't think people are even getting the concept which might be my fault for not explaining it well enough.

I'll try again with a food example.

As a rough generalization, three typical reactions to trying a new food might be --

This sucks, never again.

This is fantastic. I definitely want this again, maybe even for the rest of my life, if possible.

That was an interesting experience. I'm really glad I tried it. Now I know about that. I feel richer for having tried it. I enjoyed having the experience. It was pleasant. It definitely did NOT suck. But it's really not something that I would feel the desire to ever repeat and I know that already.

I'm talking about the LATTER type of reaction to a new food, experience, sexual partner, etc. 

On the food example, it could even be a VERSION of a dish that is in the category of foods you want to repeat.

For example, you try a pizza at a new restaurant. Your reaction is as the explanation for the pizza at THAT restaurant. But you're still on for future pizzas at other places in general. 

I don't get any of that.

If I like something I want to do it over and over till I can't. I might not be able to do it, but I still want to. eg I like skiing, but I live in LOS. I can't but I'd like to.

I don't think that in my life I've EVER said to myself, I really liked that, but i'm not going to want to do it again.

In fact, most of my regrets have been that I didn't get to do something I liked again.

Just thought of something.

One meets a beautiful woman in a bar and gets chatting. Has a very enjoyable time and ends up going to her room for fun and games, only to find she isn't a she at all.

One might not want to repeat that experience.

I can think of a few words that might be applicable, but none that can be used on here.

4 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Exhilaration, It was exhilarating when I reached 220 kilometres per hour on my Kawasaki ZZR 1100 some years ago along a straight stretch of road with clear vision for at least 3 kilometres, but I knew afterwards that I could never return to that exhilarating speed as the front end started to vibrate, which sent shivers down my spine.  

Now that is something I would love to do again, but know that it wouldn't leave the same taste in my mouth, due to weighing up the fear, although when you get there, the fear is gone, but you have to get there first, for me, a once only event.

Don't know if that is the word your looking for, because I don't believe there is a word to fit what your looking for, but best I could come up with.

LOL. I once did the ton on a Honda 550 early in the morning before the traffic, and on a good road. I never did it again as it scared the * out of me, but it was on my bucket list. I had a few words going through my mind, but none of them were anywhere near "happy" words.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. I once did the ton on a Honda 550 early in the morning before the traffic, and on a good road. I never did it again as it scared the * out of me, but it was on my bucket list. I had a few words going through my mind, but none of them were anywhere near "happy" words.

Yes, LOL, was coming round a long long bend with a few of the lads in front of me at around 140kmph and knew that around this long bend was the big dipper going to Wollongong, i.e. a steep decline and then a steep rise, as I clicked down to 3rd and started overtaking them, before I knew it I was in the dipper at warp speed, having dropped down and tucked myself in behind the fairing and just changing gears as she red lined, then she started getting the shakes and that's when I looked at the speedo and that's when my heart dropped, never again, too much adrenaline for this old timer now 555

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Just thought of something.

One meets a beautiful woman in a bar and gets chatting. Has a very enjoyable time and ends up going to her room for fun and games, only to find she isn't a she at all.

One might not want to repeat that experience.

I can think of a few words that might be applicable, but none that can be used on here.

Stupid

Unrepeatable; I can’t think of the word, but I have an idea of what you mean.

Back in the day, when I was much younger than I am now - probably, we all were- I went to the USA hitch-hiking.   

Anyway a few short years later I found myself working in England, and a colleague said to me “You’ve been to America; where would you recommend?”

”Well, Mickey, the most fun I had was in Albuquerque, but....”

”Albaquerque; right!”

”But ...”

”OK, Albaquerque”

”But ... !”

Well, some years passed before I saw him again, and he was unusually blunt and to the point -

“Ya bastirt, ye! Albabloodyqueque! I’ve never been so bored so quickly in my life!”

” I tried to explain, Mickey, that we ended up at a hardcore skinhead punk gig in somebody’s house somewhere in the suburbs, and you can’t rely on that happening every night”

The first time is very often different, and you can’t necessarily be confident of repeating that.

Edited by StreetCowboy