American hangs himself from bunk bed in Chiang Mai dormitory - no suspicious circumstances say police

snoop1130

American hangs himself from bunk bed in Chiang Mai dormitory - no suspicious circumstances say police

CiHZjUdJ5HPNXJ92GRkI6f53gT84UDoGKw.jpg

Police in Chiang Mai were called to a dormitory where they say a 38 year old Oklahoma man hanged himself with a bag strap.

The maid at the hostel on Niman Mern Road in Suthep sub-district found the man hanging from the top part of a bunk bed.

He was named in a Thai Rath story as Samuel Frederic.

Police said they found five mostly empty bottles of foreign alcoholic liquor in his bag.

Staff at the hostel said he arrived alone in the afternoon. He was shown to a second floor dormitory and stayed there alone as there were no other guests.

Ekkanok Chaiwong investigating said there were no suspicious circumstances. There was no injury on the body and no sign of a struggle.

Ekkanok said the American hanged himself and the cause was probably severe alcoholic poisoning or depression.

The body was sent to the Maharat Nakorn Chiang Mai for autopsy.

The US Consulate in Chiang Mai has been informed so that relatives could be contacted.

Source: https://www.thairath.co.th/content/1211630

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-2-23

1 hour ago, Just1Voice said:

I'm honestly starting to believe that there are some people who come to Thailand just to commit suicide.  

Maybe, but if I wanted to get away with murdering someone, I'd invite them to Thailand and do it in a way that the cops could explain away as suicide, even if that narrative made very little sense.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm honestly starting to believe that there are some people who come to Thailand just to commit suicide.  
Been here 3 years and yes I agree with you.. men in thier 20s through 70s arrive in Thailand for a holiday and kill themselves. Strange indeed. RIP young American man.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Why? Did you know him? Maybe he was a complete dick.
So in your perfect little mind.. Non dick heads are the only ones deserved of any sympathy regarding thier death? Here in the south of Thailand you would also have a name.. Black Heart.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Well I don't know, however in my experiance, 38 year old American men don't just hang themselves from the bedpost.......much more to this story.....but he made it easy to ignore... Just some guy alone and depressed... In a place that fights for more babies and disregards the needs of the living. Happy Trails, lost boy....

Wonder whether it was my previous neighbour ?

Had a huge argument with his GF last week  because she never came home that night , got told to leave his Condo by the owner , asking to borrow 100 Baht and said that he was moving somewhere cheaper because he had no money and would be asking his Family to send some money over .

Wonder whether its the same guy ?

• Like 1

Inflammatory, troll posts removed and one member on suspension.   Keep it civil or face the consequences.  

A person has died and quite frequently friends and family look for answers on the internet.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tradewind777 said:

Some of the comments on here are totally inappropriate. Shame on those writing such trash.

We don’t know anything about this poor bloke except that he’s dead. He is a son possibly a brother and maybe even a father. For God sake have some sympathy and hope this kind of tragedy does not happen in your life. RIP.

While those are great sentiments, the family should take the police report with a grain of salt.  A big one.

Aside from the emotional aspect, there can be huge insurance implications of a suicide vs a death that looks like a suicide.

Edited by impulse

1 hour ago, robertthesculptor said:

Well I don't know, however in my experiance, 38 year old American men don't just hang themselves from the bedpost.......much more to this story.....but he made it easy to ignore... Just some guy alone and depressed... In a place that fights for more babies and disregards the needs of the living. Happy Trails, lost boy....

19 year old student start shooting at a school,only in America? No,fools, Crazy people, lonely and desperate people you find them everywhere 

Little bit of respect please.

Poor man is dead, stop with the snide /disgraceful comments.

Maybe suicide, maybe not, but serious depression can make people do almost anything to stop it.

I know, i have been there, but i was fortunate, to have love/ support to help me through it.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Little bit of respect please.

Poor man is dead, stop with the snide /disgraceful comments.

Maybe suicide, maybe not, but serious depression can make people do almost anything to stop it.

I know, i have been there, but i was fortunate, to have love/ support to help me through it.

I agree with you colinneil ,  whatever his reasons , or reasons for this event there will be someone somewhere very saddened by this.  A very good friend at Easter 1977 hanged himself in Eping forest , the fallout from this went on for years .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cardinalblue said:

Need to look into his past b/f ruling on his death.....

If you're suggesting there are any clues that there was foul play, sure. But some cases of suicide aren't particularly mysterious. They're matters for people the person may have known and family to contemplate upon. Not really police matters. 

The evidence is of two kinds: a) Follow up studies of alcoholics consistently reveal high suicide rates. The proportion dying by suicide varies from 8% (Kessel & Grossman, 1961) to 21% (Gabriel, 1935) depending on the length of follow up. These figures represent a risk 5080 times that of the general population.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/6648755/    older study.

More recently:

Alcohol is involved over a quarter of all suicides in the US (approximately 7500 per year). Suicide is 120 times more prevalent among adult alcoholics than in the general population. Alcohol abusers have higher rates of both attempted and completed suicide than non-abusers.

2 minutes ago, atyclb said:

The evidence is of two kinds: a) Follow up studies of alcoholics consistently reveal high suicide rates. The proportion dying by suicide varies from 8% (Kessel & Grossman, 1961) to 21% (Gabriel, 1935) depending on the length of follow up. These figures represent a risk 5080 times that of the general population.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/6648755/    older study.

More recently:

Alcohol is involved over a quarter of all suicides in the US (approximately 7500 per year). Suicide is 120 times more prevalent among adult alcoholics than in the general population. Alcohol abusers have higher rates of both attempted and completed suicide than non-abusers.

Although, does the alcohol intake contribute to the suicide , or do they drink a lot in order to relief the suicidal tendencies ?

• Thanks 1