Two American women held in Thailand after allegedly caught with fake US dollars

webfact

Has there been any official conformation of their story ?

Any Thai media reported it ?

Any Thai Police confirmation ?

Only media report seems to be from their home town in the USA

So quick to set up numerous gofundme pages for a huge amount of money .

No local media coverage and nothing official .

Can anyone give any evidence to prove that the whole thing isnt a scam and that there was no fake money and they didnt get arrested ?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Has there been any official conformation of their story ?

Any Thai media reported it ?

Any Thai Police confirmation ?

Only media report seems to be from their home town in the USA

So quick to set up numerous gofundme pages for a huge amount of money .

No local media coverage and nothing official .

Can anyone give any evidence to prove that the whole thing isnt a scam and that there was no fake money and they didnt get arrested ?

Now Billy Grahams gone they're just exploring different ways, maybe.

From her FB page

"We are heading to the women's prison now. If all goes well we could be held in Thailand a minimum of a month. Please don't call the u.s embassy for info."

"We are alive and well. Temporarily out on bail. Things are very complicated and we are still in deep water. Still facing possible prison time. Still facing fines and lawyer fees. Our passports are being withheld and we can't leave Thailand for weeks or months..(hopefully not years!). We don't have a lot of answers right now. Language barriers make things EXTREMELY difficult. We will have more updates soon. Heading to sleep now. It's been a long day. We are so incredibly overwhelmed with the outpouring of love, donations and help we have received. We could not get through this without all of the help and generosity you have blessed us with."

"Apologies for not getting back to everyone. We can't answer many questions right now. Our time on wifi is limited and our silence is crucial to our case and freedom." 

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

From her FB page

"We are heading to the women's prison now. If all goes well we could be held in Thailand a minimum of a month. Please don't call the u.s embassy for info."

"We are alive and well. Temporarily out on bail. Things are very complicated and we are still in deep water. Still facing possible prison time. Still facing fines and lawyer fees. Our passports are being withheld and we can't leave Thailand for weeks or months..(hopefully not years!). We don't have a lot of answers right now. Language barriers make things EXTREMELY difficult. We will have more updates soon. Heading to sleep now. It's been a long day. We are so incredibly overwhelmed with the outpouring of love, donations and help we have received. We could not get through this without all of the help and generosity you have blessed us with."

"Apologies for not getting back to everyone. We can't answer many questions right now. Our time on wifi is limited and our silence is crucial to our case and freedom." 

very well scripted, could make series out of this, 'What we did' and 'What we did next'

• Like 2

"My dear friend needs help!

Misty Eichholz and Danniel Paquette thought they hit lucky when they found $1000 US dollars on the streets of Thailand. Turns out it was counterfeit and they have been arrested and put in Thai jail!

Bail alone will be $40k each!

Please help if you can!"

Jeeeez, thats a lot of bail money , whats that in Baht ?

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

"My dear friend needs help!

Misty Eichholz and Danniel Paquette thought they hit lucky when they found $1000 US dollars on the streets of Thailand. Turns out it was counterfeit and they have been arrested and put in Thai jail!

Bail alone will be $40k each!

Please help if you can!"

Jeeeez, thats a lot of bail money , whats that in Baht ?

What a scam, they are going over the top, or the judiciary is, probably both.

Now I understand the whole thing.
I believe they belong to a splinter group of a very large and well known religious group in the USA. 
Only recently formed they call themselves The Morons.
The Morons have been around forever, and constitute around 95% of any population.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

22 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

.. In charity, i guess, well, does that include Bars and damsels in distress ?

..But, that's off topic, i am more curious to understand why everybody here find unbelievable the girl's statement, that the money was found on the pavement.

Although it may sound like a good excuse, i don't see any reason to doubt their innocence.

It sounds as if you are the most likely generous, niaive next contributer to these two fund-raising schemes then!

• Haha 2

From her Gofundme page .

In short "Dont judge me, but keep sending the support"

"I want to say else with extreme passion: THAILAND is absolutely beautiful. The people here have been incredibly friendly!"

She also says "They have treated us very kindly. Please do not talk badly of this country or people. It does NOT help us nor is it how we live and love. Please be positive and don't cast judgment on us or them... Each time I go to fb I literally cry seeing all of the love and support. Thank you from the bottem of our hearts. I will never be able to express with words my gratitude but I hope you feel the love I have for each of you. There is nothing more important to me in life than the memories and connections I have made with you. Please don't judge us or them and continue to send your love and support! We will keep you posted!"

14 minutes ago, Bundooman said:

It sounds as if you are the most likely generous, niaive next contributer to these two fund-raising schemes then!

Negative!

- Maybe a little negative here because of dis-belief about finding the money on the footpath

-  Much more likely the negative is about the 'gofundme' (X2) activity. 

2 minutes ago, Henrik Andersen said:

Expose them but need to find out this is a scam or real news but I can't find anything on this story 

This is the bit that I find extremely difficult to understand, at the very least you would expect the local news to have run the story, the only info out there is via their own Facebook pages or the 2 fund me sites, every other report has the origins from these, the local Buriram rag ran the story, source Thai Visa!!

I suspect that this is a scam for sure.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

From her Gofundme page .

In short "Dont judge me, but keep sending the support"

"I want to say else with extreme passion: THAILAND is absolutely beautiful. The people here have been incredibly friendly!"

She also says "They have treated us very kindly. Please do not talk badly of this country or people. It does NOT help us nor is it how we live and love. Please be positive and don't cast judgment on us or them... Each

I go to fb I literally cry seeing all of the love and support. Thank you from the bottem of our hearts. I will never be able to express with words my gratitude but I hope you feel the love I have for each of you. There is nothing more important to me in life than the memories and connections I have made with you. Please don't judge us or them and continue to send your love and support! We will keep you posted!"

Yes I feel your love - what total crap!

Who has been negative about Thailand in this scam episode - nobody, this comment is just scam strategy comment to not upset the Thai authorities (police, courts).

"Please don't judge us or them and continue to send your love and support! We will keep you posted!"

In other words keep the money rolling in.

These two girls and their minders are just thieves praying on the naive.

From a FB friend :

"she is making some calls to media I gave her your phone number to give to them to call you. 
She has mad skills for this sort of stuff. Thanks Deb!"

Reply :

"we appreciate the effort but unfortunately alerting the media is not the best thing to do right now"

23 hours ago, scorecard said:

Good point, but they believed they were special, fate put the money on the ground just for them.

God gave them special good luck, just for them. 

Hope they get shamed at home, and get punished.

People never find money on the street? People do drop notes and coins.

If it was more than 1 note their story is unlikely but a single note drop happens.

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

Huh?

:smile:

"Oh, come on, trying to pass some fake notes is hardly the crime of the century"

If passing off some fake currency is nothing to be taken seriously - similarly many other 'minor' crimes can be wiped out, isn't it? Or just ignored? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ravip said:

:smile:

"Oh, come on, trying to pass some fake notes is hardly the crime of the century"

If passing off some fake currency is nothing to be taken seriously - similarly many other 'minor' crimes can be wiped out, isn't it? Or just ignored? 

What if their story was true. How does a layman tell real from fake? Unless it's a bad fake it would be hard to tell.