Why a apple in thailand did not shows any sign of ageing after over a month, and quality difference in super market fruits?

Sandman77

I bought a green gala apple after over a month it still looks fresh skin without any sign of aging after 2 month it shows some black spot, it would be interesting to find out in a labour Analyse what is reason why fruits in thailand never looks old ?

About orange quality in supermarkets the same brand can be good and sweet but a week later in store sour with out water and hard often taste less like nothing ! It looks like that the big super market chains beginning to optimeizijng there profits with a lower degree of fruit. Quality , I not Realy sure how many quality class exists maybe 3 , but also in my option after 16 years here the food stall food quality is lower then 5 years ago , maybe I getting older or what ever , whst is your opinion ?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I buy a lot of fruits and vegetables.  I noticed that once an few apples I bought (which had been reduced in price as they were out of date) never seemed to deteriorate.  

I had then in the fruit bowl.. room temperature... for nearly 3 weeks and they looked as good as when I bought them!  I threw them away in the end.. I am sure it was some chemical on or in them and did not feel safe to eat it.

Normally the apples I buy, the skin will start to wrinkle and get dehydrated after a week.  I think this is normal.

I also have to be careful with other fruit and vegetables that they don't have chemicals on them. I remember one time feeding (after washing) some broccoli to my aviary birds and most of them died a few hours later from eating it.  So some of these vegetables and fruits are actually toxic it seems.. from the pesticides or preservatives they use on them.

Now I mostly buy organic.  But even then, how can we know the seller is telling the truth when they say no chemicals used?  

20 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Now I mostly buy organic.  But even then, how can we know the seller is telling the truth when they say no chemicals used?  

This is Thailand. There is virtually no meaningful enforcement of food and water safety issues or advertising claims, especially for domestic consumption.

So in answer to your question, you pretty much can't.

• Like 1

I think most fruit sold in Supermarkets is grade 2 or below but prices are grade one !    It's very hit and miss with things like Grapes, Oranges from abroad etc and i think other countries know that Thai retailers will buy produce that would be considered sub-standard in The West.

Chemical use here is awful; i have friends in Fang where we go often to stay and there are Orange Groves and Vegetables growers all around them.  The Orange Farmers inject Chemicals in to the tree trunks weekly and the Farmers growing Veggie's spray them all weekly.   Just recently my Pal had his ground tested and it was Toxic down to a depth of 2.5 m as people had been spraying chemicals there for 25 years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

in my home country, my family used to buy huge baskets of apples directly from (trusted) farmers, we kept them at a cool place in our cellar and they still looked and tasted great after several months. Nothing suspicious with that. Having said that, there is no doubt that many fruits sold in supermarkets in Asia get its fair share of "anti-aging-treatment"

• Like 1

11 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Chemical use here is awful; i have friends in Fang where we go often to stay and there are Orange Groves and Vegetables growers all around them.  The Orange Farmers inject Chemicals in to the tree trunks weekly and the Farmers growing Veggie's spray them all weekly.   Just recently my Pal had his ground tested and it was Toxic down to a depth of 2.5 m as people had been spraying chemicals there for 25 years.

True & in my wife's family village they have been having quite a upswing

in Cancer in the older folks.

I also note a lot pf pesticides sprayed & broadcast into crops.

What I think makes it all worse is I see their water table is only 8' from surface,

I imagine the poisons percolate  down pretty easily into their water tables

• Like 1

I wish the bananas lasted longer. I have to buy them from the supermarket in a bunch, and never eat them all before the last one is horrible.
I can buy them green, but I have to wait a day or so before I can eat them.

I buy them green and give half away while there are still green.

Leave a couple out and put the rest in the fridge