Sorry But Crap Food Again

thaiflyer1

Thanks guys for all your coments, for and agaisnt. I do the best that I can with what I have to work with. If someone has a better recipe for something that they care to share---I'm all ears. I don't know much about Tex-Mex, what I do is a Southern California - Mexican - Big Al blend. And while this may not be for everyone, I hope for some I can bring a little diversity to what's available in Pattaya.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big Al, you sound like such a good guy that I wish I loved your food.

I guess everyone should give it a chance and decide for themselves.

Our menu is getting bigger and I believe our product is getting better. Maybe if you were alittle more specific in what it was that you don't like about my food, I could help.

Thanks guys for all your coments, for and agaisnt. I do the best that I can with what I have to work with. If someone has a better recipe for something that they care to share---I'm all ears. I don't know much about Tex-Mex, what I do is a Southern California - Mexican - Big Al blend. And while this may not be for everyone, I hope for some I can bring a little diversity to what's available in Pattaya.

at last u have given yr menu a locale... SoCal mex +. my only experience of mexican in CA is at SFO airport and like an earlier poster commented, the beer is good. but any Pattaya eatery that has generated such a volume of comment is worth a visit and i too will drop by when i get back there. what hours are you there?

wishing u every success and don't let the b**tards wear u down!

BigAL: I understand you have more than one store in Pattaya, can you tell me where the are?

My number 1 Taco stand is on 2nd road across from the Sabai Room Body massage at the foot of the Atlantic bar just before you get to Big C. Open 4pm to 6am all week.

My second place is just off the corner of Soi Buakaow and Soi Chiapoon next to Club Oasis. We are open 5pm to 5am, 7 days a week.

We now have delivery from 5pm to 3am.

My number 1 Taco stand is on 2nd road across from the Sabai Room Body massage at the foot of the Atlantic bar just before you get to Big C. Open 4pm to 6am all week.

My second place is just off the corner of Soi Buakaow and Soi Chiapoon next to Club Oasis. We are open 5pm to 5am, 7 days a week.

We now have delivery from 5pm to 3am.

Thanks for the info! If you are considering a third outlet, please remember us folks in Jomtien! :o

I just had a Big Burrito last night at BigAl's, and then saw this thread today. I think this might be my first post ever on Thaivisa, though I registered ages ago because I live and work here.

The food at BigAl's is ok, but certainly not up to San Francisco/Mexico standards. The lack of guacamole and the high price of sour cream certainly do make it difficult, among other things.

I live quite close to the stand, however, so I do occasionally eat there--I'd say once a month.

I have some suggestions, and I'm very happy to see BigAl is open to them. I'll drop by soon to chat.

Yes, Jimmy, the food is simply not up to standard as far as tasting what a burrito should taste like. I am not a Mexican chef so can't really offer suggestions, short of paying a Mexican chef to fly over and revamp the kitchens. However, if you think you can help Big Al get is closer, please do, as I would love to have access to good tasting burritos in Pattaya!

For some reason, doing authentic Mexican food is very, very difficult here - at least California style Mexican food is. The only restaurant that I've ever known to come close is Miquel's California Cafe in Chiang Mai and he owned a bunch of Mexican places in San Diego. All those expensive Mexican places in Bangkok aren't authentic at all.

I couldn't even find a decent Mexican place in Australia, although that doesn't mean there aren't any.

Maybe you guys are being too hard on Big Al. There are a ton of different styles of Mexican restaurants in the US that don't taste anything like California style, and as long as his tastes pretty good - and a lot of people seem to think so - just eat there if you like it and avoid it if you don't. The guy is just trying to make a living. :o

Fair enough, but if even one owner did manage to do it in Thailand, then it is possible. So, why the excuses? So, if other owners can do the same thing in other locations, they will certainly have alot of people ready to try their product.

Face it, in Pattaya, if one owner finally offered an authentic Mexican product at a good price, the other owners would justifiably be soiling their underwear. Instead, people reward and accept less than mediocrity. By supporting and excusing this sub-mediocrity, the chances of ever getting anything decent here are much less.

I suppose I am mostly talking about the expat market. If you are here on a 2 week holiday, you are likely to be very jolly eating crap Mexican food especially if you order enough cheap tequila Margaritas. But if you live here, not having access to good examples of one of the greatest and most unique cuisines in the world, MEXICAN, is kind of a drag.

Big Al does sound like a good guy and I don't wish to harm his business. If people expert on how to do it right can give him good advice, please do so, as perhaps he sincerely is open to improving his product.

Edited by Jingthing

Miquel's California Cafe in Chiang Mai has had avocado almost every day since it opened, so a super-burrito with guacamole and sour cream tastes pretty much like you are eating it on Mission Street in San Fran! :o

How about a burrito CHAIN, Miguel?

He says that it is too much work. He has sold the place - but it is still quite good - and is doing a drive-in restaurant now with burgers and sub sandwiches called In and Out in Hang Dong.

By the way, he is also the guy that started the Mike's Original hamburger chain here in Chiang Mai which he sold as well.

He says that it is too much work. He has sold the place - but it is still quite good - and is doing a drive-in restaurant now with burgers and sub sandwiches called In and Out in Hang Dong.

By the way, he is also the guy that started the Mike's Original hamburger chain here in Chiang Mai which he sold as well.

Do you mean the place next across from the Reggai bar in the backpacker entertainment area with the restaurants with signs that say don’t try and buy dope here?

I tried the place and had quesadillas there a few months ago. They were coal black on the inside. I had no idea what the filling was supposed to be. I took one little bite which tasted rancid and burnt, paid for the meal and left.

I used to go to Mike's burgers, but found too many bone chips in the ground beef. I broke a tooth on one and stopped going. I liked the staff nice ladies.

The funny thing is, I don't even think burritos are *real* mexican food--I think they are California Mexican. I think I'll do some research on this, but I never saw a burrito in Mexico, though I did see 'hamberguesas.' Of course, I haven't been to Mexico in 15+ years. They probably have them now, the idea coming from the US. I'll let you know what I find out.

They do have burritos in Northern Mexico. They are basic versions of the more popular American style burrito. An authentic Mexican burrito is basically just meat in a flour tortilla. Boring. The American style burritos are NOT widely available in Mexico, but they are widely available in Mexican neighborhoods in the US. Not really a big issue. Of course, we are looking for good examples of California style burritos. California was once Mexico (or is becoming Mexico again?), so don't split hairs.

losangelesmexico.jpg

Edited by Jingthing

• 2 years later...