Reversing into Parking Spaces

Oxx

1 hour ago, macahoom said:

In fact, I’ve seen signs in car parks in the U.S. which say No Reverse Parking.

Worked in the Oil Patch as a contractor.

Entered an Imperial Oil site - big signs saying No Backing Up

Went to park the pickup by the site office - small sign saying 'back in only'

555 !!!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

When you arrive, you know it is safe and or you have the time to back in, otherwise you don't, but you don't know what the situation will be when you are ready to leave.

Most of the time I back into my parking space.

Excellent point. The middle lane between two parking area is small in Thailand as well space next to your car. If it is big enough, more often than not, people might double parking (Suvanabhum airport, there is even a sign saying double parking is allowed). If above circumstances happen, backing out of parking lot will be more challenge. Backing into parking space can avoid these.

• Like 2

Reverse parking is a far better option than going in forwards, it is much safer, as exiting is quicker and easier to see.

A lot of the big oil related companies insist on reverse parking, based on the fact that the cars can exit quickly.

TBH I do not see the objection, if you pull in forwards you have to reverse out, so either way involves a reversing manoeuvre at some point!

Regarding the large pick ups and the skill of driving, reversing in would be a lot easier, reversing out means there is a good chance of the front end of the pick up clouting the car parked next to them.

• Like 2

I have noticed that my Triton has a fairly large overhang on the tray, so that sometimes when I reverse in the concrete stop is set too far back and if not careful I can hit the wall behind. A lot of those stops seem to be set for cars, not pickups.

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

I have noticed that my Triton has a fairly large overhang on the tray, so that sometimes when I reverse in the concrete stop is set too far back and if not careful I can hit the wall behind. A lot of those stops seem to be set for cars, not pickups.

Most of the car parking spaces are set up for cars, park either way in a pick up and it can present a problem, either as you state, or a back end hanging out of the front of the space.

The overhang of a car will never be as much as a pick up from the rear wheels.

It is surprising that no thought is really given to pick ups, considering how many there are.

Big C Extra in Pattaya is a perfect example of a badly thought out car park, anything larger than a Jazz is always going to be tight if it is busy.

The rear overhang on a pick up is greater than the front, so if front first the back stick out into the driving lane more than if rear first. never come across the situation in post #13 in my triton

2 minutes ago, steve187 said:

The rear overhang on a pick up is greater than the front, so if front first the back stick out into the driving lane more than if rear first. never come across the situation in post #13 in my triton

Never found that the tailgate will hit the wall before the rear wheels contact the concrete stop? Surprising, because I've found that to be the case in many car parks.

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

Never found that the tailgate will hit the wall before the rear wheels contact the concrete stop? Surprising, because I've found that to be the case in many car parks.

mine is a 2016 4 door, maybe older or 2 door models have a different overhang. sometimes its close and makes you look at the camera

Just now, steve187 said:

mine is a 2016 4 door, maybe older or 2 door models have a different overhang. sometimes its close and makes you look at the camera

Mine is 2014, the run-out model, but I wouldn't think there would be much difference with the later models. I don't have a reverse camera, but sensors, and they tell me when I'm close. I have sometimes seen at least a 12'' gap, sometimes a lot more, between the rear wheels and the stop and my tailgate is nearly touching the wall. Nothing peculiar about my Triton, standard 4 door model.

5 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Depends on the setup of the parkinglot. Some are setup for parking in back, others not.

As someone has already pointed out, most parking lots are designed for cars, not pickups. If I didn't have reversing sensors I would have backed into a wall many times if I expected the rear wheels to contact the concrete stop first. Again, most Thais reverse into parking spaces, not nose first.

Edited by giddyup

Depends upon the situation.

At the office, back in for a quick escape.

At Makro, back in for easy loading from the central aisle.

At Tesco, front in, so we can actually get the tailgate open to install the shopping.

At home front in, coz I want to hug the wife. We have space to turn in the driveway so no backing into the road.

Horses for courses.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, giddyup said:

As someone has already pointed out, most parking lots are designed for cars, not pickups. If I didn't have reversing sensors I would have backed into a wall many times if I expected the rear wheels to contact the concrete stop first. Again, most Thais reverse into parking spaces, not nose first.

Which has nothing to do with my comment.

Reverse or forward depends on the parking lot setup.

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Which has nothing to do with my comment.

Reverse or forward depends on the parking lot setup.

Can't say I've seen too many where people park nose in, from large to small car parks, but maybe you can explain what the difference in set-ups decides which way you park.

5 hours ago, stevenl said:

Most car parks have one way traffic. When you enter with the flow, some parking spots are angled away from you. In those spots it is customary to park nose in. In others where the parking spots are straight some will park nose in, others will reverse. I prefer reversing in in those spots.

As you and many others said it depends on the situation and location. 

At home in the US and in Thailand I always back in. In the Us because I get up very early to go to work and I don't want to  be backing out in the dark while I am half asleep. In Thailand, I have plenty of space and I want to be ready for a quick getaway in case the wife goes after me LOL.

In Thailand I own a Hunchback car, when shopping I usually nose in so that I can easily load the groceries  in the back , same when I had a pickup truck. 

So there is really no absolute.

If all things equal and I don't need access to the back I also like to back in because I guess I like to show off.

I run the Yard for a large construction company in NY  and I am responsible for shuffling around our trucks getting them ready to get loaded, It is a Union company so I am required to also have a CDL and a Teamster union Book, so I have a lot of experience and training. 

It is all about the setup,

I can backup a 53 ft trailer in two moves with my eyes closed if I am setup properly ( about 10 ft away  and 10 ft apart, Jacknife the trailer , the pull up and then back straight in)  .

So I love to see the terror  in my wife's and others face when I set up , and without even turning my head, back in at high speed. LOL  I know I know it is an Ahole thing to do . Guilty as charged!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

hmmm, what an ideal Topic, suitable for a Yes/No Poll - then Count the Votes later...

My take:

park nose in at a cramped parking lot, and when you are busy loading the car boot/hatch, you are now more vulnerable to people speeding past ( also at risk from being squashed against your rear bumper, by someone who is reversing out of the carspace opposite you, while your loading that boot...)

I am surprised they simply don't paint there 'angle' park spaces, like what's done in NSW Australia as an example of the genre.

image.jpeg.a1fa8720270c98ee429e5430bdd7eea1.jpeg

You drive past your spot, and then reverse back into it at i.e 45 degrees. You then get back in a drive off :)

Even if those spots were at 90 degrees, I will always opt to Reverse In... unless there is a Council Parking Sign that Orders otherwise

Aside from all that, to Reverse In is a clinical accuracy movement

To Reverse Out, as already mentioned, relatively dangerous due to the oncoming unseen traffic

Edited by tifino

4 hours ago, tifino said:

hmmm, what an ideal Topic, suitable for a Yes/No Poll - then Count the Votes later...

My take:

park nose in at a cramped parking lot, and when you are busy loading the car boot/hatch, you are now more vulnerable to people speeding past ( also at risk from being squashed against your rear bumper, by someone who is reversing out of the carspace opposite you, while your loading that boot...)

I am surprised they simply don't paint there 'angle' park spaces, like what's done in NSW Australia as an example of the genre.

image.jpeg.a1fa8720270c98ee429e5430bdd7eea1.jpeg

You drive past your spot, and then reverse back into it at i.e 45 degrees. You then get back in a drive off :)

Even if those spots were at 90 degrees, I will always opt to Reverse In... unless there is a Council Parking Sign that Orders otherwise

Aside from all that, to Reverse In is a clinical accuracy movement

To Reverse Out, as already mentioned, relatively dangerous due to the oncoming unseen traffic

Agree, those spots are meant for reversing into.