‘New kind’ of corruption feared

webfact

K Panida for PM. At least there are honest people out there.

This is not a 'new' type of corruption- it has been going on for years. It took the courage of a young woman to blow the lid off it. What has been her reward- castigated by her lecturers and threatened.

She should be praised for her actions, not denigrated for causing people with their faces in the trough to lose face.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, shady86 said:

I doubt anything will change,

Well, at least the whistle-blowers will be dealt with. So there's that.

In olden days no one blew the whistle, so these pesky upstarts need to be taught to keep quiet.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, YetAnother said:

whenever money flows in thailand, corruption is attached

The Government needs to step in and put a cap on the types of corruption practiced in Thailand, otherwise, there will not be enough to go round and keep this country afloat. TIT.

1 hour ago, stanleycoin said:

Unfortunately in Thailand corruption is manly viewed as not

something wrong and more as a perk of the position held. :bah:

Yes that is the main problem IMO, and it makes Thailand rotten to the core. So sad.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, smutcakes said:

Is this not the guy who investigated the park and the submarines?

I hope he was speaking for himself in his comment about no one ever imagining officials stealing from...etc, because sure as hell most people would not be surprised. Frankly i am surprised that he would be surprised by it.

Maybe he has to act surprised because he never thought about investigating it before. If this is so big then head should roll. I won't hold my breath... again the rich getting richer.. but in this case its not just the BKK elite but the local folk in the poor north are involved in it too. So its not old elite against.. its just rich against poor. 

• Like 2

This is the “trickle down” effect playing out. What else can be expected?

When the Thai government workers see their junta leaders get away with snubbing their nose at the Thai population after getting caught “owning” 25 very expensive watches, bought on a general’s salary, of course they will be emboldened to become a copy cat. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, neeray said:

This is the “trickle down” effect playing out. What else can be expected?

When the Thai government workers see their junta leaders get away with snubbing their nose at the Thai population after getting caught “owning” 25 very expensive watches, bought on a general’s salary, of course they will be emboldened to become a copy cat. 

Nice anti junta rant.. too bad that this already existed during the Thaksin his rule.. So too bad for you the junta is not the cause of this. Too bad they are not the solution either.

• Like 1

It’s a lovely example of how rotten and morally corrupted it can get. Let’s take from the poor and dying because they will die anyway and then let’s harvest even more from their stiff dead corpses.....

where is Buddha when you need him

5 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

What the country needs is to shoot some crows and put them on sticks in the middle of the crop for all the other crows to see, maybe even a few crows per field in every town and every province.

I was binge watching Game of Thrones the past couple of weeks, and there they'd put their heads on sticks for the public to admire. :)

But seriously, more scary law enforcement is very badly needed.  I would love to see caning introduced here, like in Singapore.  Many of those "hi" so need it badly.

4 minutes ago, ChidlomDweller said:

I was binge watching Game of Thrones the past couple of weeks, and there they'd put their heads on sticks for the public to admire. :)

But seriously, more scary law enforcement is very badly needed.  I would love to see caning introduced here, like in Singapore.  Many of those "hi" so need it badly.

Oooo, caning, my favorite! :shock1:

5 hours ago, worgeordie said:

just think how much better it would be for

society if all this money was not skimmed off by officials in authority,it must be Billions

I don't think they fully appreciate the extent of how much they pay in deterioration of public services.  Not the majority who never travel at least.  Would be an interesting topic for thread, but those among you with long-term Thai spouses, it must be interesting to see the blinkers gradually come off when they get to know your (relatively) well-run home country.  

With the popularity of Japan as a tourist destination among the lower middle classes (not just the rich), I wonder what they must think about seeing a well-run country like that, and how it makes them reflect on their own country.  

And someone mentioned nepotism.  Maybe that's even the worst of it.  Money being syphoned off is more eye-catching, but it's hard to think of any government department with competent leadership.  What's the cost of that?

Edited by ChidlomDweller
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

If people participated in such “irregularities” continuously, it would become a social value that could be described as a “win-win” situation despite its immorality.

5555... classic... that horse has bolted, and the barn door is busted!

3 hours ago, zzidenn said:

It’s a lovely example of how rotten and morally corrupted it can get. Let’s take from the poor and dying because they will die anyway and then let’s harvest even more from their stiff dead corpses.....

where is Buddha when you need him

A friend of mine died in Phuket. Within hours the locals had stripped his house clean, including the sheets from the bed he died in, and stole his SUV. There are no words to describe the depths to which Thais will sink when money is involved. Nothing, nothing at all, gets in the way of them grabbing their 'share'. Certainly not morals. Thais are probably the least Buddhist people I've ever met. They are Buddhist in name only.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ChidlomDweller said:

What we need is stocks from Olde England. Wouldn't that be fun. Let them sit or stand there in the sun while we throw fermented fish at them. On second thoughts, they'd probably like that. People could set up stalls selling rotten food to chuck while also providing chicken on a stick and rice and somtam for the assembled hoards. There would be a band playing at 110 decibels and dancing girls and corrupt officials going around demanding rent for their stall space. TAT could sell it as a tourist attraction.

• Haha 1

As long as the same people who make the laws and enforce the laws are the primary beneficiaries of all corruption large and small, there will be no change in the status quo.  It all starts at the top.  The Thai system is rigged to favor the most corrupt (case in point would be thaksin's business "success" and wealth multiplication factor) and to marginalize those who would eschew corrupt practices.

Regarding the sad case of skimming funds donated to help the poor, this is nothing new in the world.  The ratio of funds received to funds disbursed should always be subject to close scrutiny, as charities and NGOs are especially well situated to take advantage of the poor and naive.

• Like 2

He wonders "how many people will dare to speak up"

Well the government very easily can give a big boost to the chances by cutting out the criminal element in defamation laws like most non corrupt countries. People would be much less afraid to whistle-blow then.

• Like 2

It matters not where the money is destined to be used. This is Thailand and any Government Funds for the destitute and poor are game for corruption the same as everything else seems to be .

This is just 1 example of the sickest kind of corruption that is rampant in Thailand.

Chances are that the officials involved would have been transferred from " active " posts to oversee the administation of the funds.

9 hours ago, worgeordie said:

"worrying form of graft that is much harder to investigate, an anti-corruption watchdog has said. "

they seem to be giving up before they start,I dont think it would be hard to investigate,someone

was given the money to distribute to poor people,poor people never got most of the money.

I think the time has come for the Government to start taking corruption very seriously,

transfer to an inactive post is not a deterrent,just think how much better it would be for

society if all this money was not skimmed off by officials in authority,it must be Billions

of THB every year.seems everyone has a hand in the corruption jar.

regards worgeordie

While I appreciate your sentiments, how could an entity (the so-called "government"), which has corruption stamped on its DNA, and whose sole purpose is to protect the elites who control and loot the country as a matter of course, possibly ever take corruption seriously? It's simply not possible.

• Thanks 1

"But no one had ever imagined before that officials would steal money designated for the destitute, such as those living with HIV,” he added."

Huh? I cant imagine anything is untouchable as far as corruption goes here..

its very clear that nothing is more sacrosanct (sp?) than money, first, last and always.

That statement is so naive i would expect it from a primary school kid.

• Like 1