Humans first - soi dogs second! Thais now advocating "the final solution"

webfact

17 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You have to pay to gain a "licence" to stay in LOS, if you have a car/ bike you have to pay to register it ( licence ), you have to have a driver's licence. If you are married, you have a "licence" to be married.

Unless you only watch public tv with ads, you pay the tv company and they have a licence to broadcast, every place you buy anything from has to have a licence to sell etc etc etc.

I don't consider having to have a licence to own a dog, when there is such a big problem, is much of an imposition.

The alternative is killing all the stray dogs, and yours, if it's loose.

they were going on about dog licences in the UK, backed by the RSPCA and Battersea as well. Not sure it ever happened. i know they often go out and about to microchip dogs for free. i love dogs and have them myself and even used to volunteer walking dogs at Battersea years ago. they do put a lot of dogs down. it really is painless. they drug their food in the morning and inject them a few hours later when they are pretty much out of it. well that's going back a few decades but i would imagine it's the same. dogs running around with rabies IMO should unfortunately mean some get put down. dart guns would do it i think

I go out daily to provide food and water to a (relatively) nearby old, sick dog that I assumed (incorrectly, as it turned out.....) to be a soi dog because he's in such a poor state.

And every day I wait for a farang (with the same mind-set as most posters on these topics) to berate me for doing my best to help this poor dog :sad:.

It hasn't happened yet, and Thais nearby (or passing) mostly pay no attention.  A few make their approval obvious, whilst one studiously avoided looking, so presumably feels the same way as most posters.

Well, the good news today is that vaccinations of dogs and cats are happening all over Thailand today. From the deep south Songkhla, Isaan (Buri Ram, Surin, Si Sa ket, Khon Kaen, ...), Bangkok, (Pathum Thani, Nontaburi, Samut Prakarn, Ayutthaya, Bang Khen), Trang, Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai, Pattaya, Hua Hin, Rayong as well as many more.

Here's Chiang Rai and Mae Sai vaccinations...

Edited by Wilsonandson
  • Like 2

Well, the good news today is that vaccinations of dogs and cats are happening all over Thailand today. From the deep south Songkhla, Isaan (Buri Ram, Surin, Si Sa ket, Khon Kaen, ...), Bangkok, (Pathum Thani, Nontaburi, Samut Prakarn, Ayutthaya, Bang Khen), Trang, Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai, Pattaya, Hua Hin, Rayong as well as many more.

That’s great and I’m all for it but I just wonder if there’s any tagging being done to monitor which have been vaccinated or is a question of grabbing as many dogs and cats as possible and hopefully catching them all ?

Obviously it’s a mammoth task that they are undertaking but surely something as simple as a blob of green or purple paint on the head of the animal would reduce repeat vaccinations and identify at a glance any that have been missed !

Maybe I’m overthinking this and should just be happy that some action is being taken ?

56 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

Maybe only happening in the city.  Nothing happening here in San Sai....  many street dogs here....

I got bitten last night on my ankle.  A pack of about 20 dogs chased my while I was cycling home.  Several areas have large packs of dogs.

These small scale vaccinations are pointless if they are not able to do a large percentage of the dog population.

This is my 3rd time bitten since I have been here.... now trying to find out if I need to go to the hospital and have all the anti rabies injections AGAIN.

• Like 2

This is my 3rd time bitten since I have been here.... now trying to find out if I need to go to the hospital and have all the anti rabies injections AGAIN.

Don't wait go to the hospital and get the injection today.
  • Like 1

On 3/15/2018 at 1:02 PM, dinsdale said:

What a silly comment. Cull as a noun is the selective slaughter (killing) of wild animals. To cull these strays is, for me, the most suitable word in this context. I say CULL/KILL the bloody lot. Sounds harsh but Misterwhisper have you been bitten by a dog here? Do you have any kids here? Would you like them to get bitten? Set Zero. I'm all for it, however, I can't see it happening.

I agree with you. I was attacked by two dogs; it impacted me immensely.

Here in Isaan I believe part of the reason for all these "wild" dogs roaming is an economic and systemic one. People here, I surmise, can not afford fencing in their property. They can not - so it seems - pay veterinarian fees. That is if they take responsibility for the dog that "lives" at their house (largely). And they can not afford to get dogs spayed/neutered.

The government is ... of course... a moot point, and do not round up strays or packs. Dogs around here do get poisoned regardless of the basic Buddhist acclaim.

I agree with other posters who describe many of these dogs as sickly/diseased etc. Some of them around here look frighteningly unhealthy. 

I hate dogs frequenting our land. They defecate everywhere/ urinate on car tires/ steal things left outdoors. They are quiet a  nuisance. I'd considering hastening their demise if I knew how. 

I know one thing if I had a child of mine bitten by one it would be dead as dead can be. 

2 hours ago, selftaopath said:

I agree with you. I was attacked by two dogs; it impacted me immensely.

Here in Isaan I believe part of the reason for all these "wild" dogs roaming is an economic and systemic one. People here, I surmise, can not afford fencing in their property. They can not - so it seems - pay veterinarian fees. That is if they take responsibility for the dog that "lives" at their house (largely). And they can not afford to get dogs spayed/neutered.

The government is ... of course... a moot point, and do not round up strays or packs. Dogs around here do get poisoned regardless of the basic Buddhist acclaim.

I agree with other posters who describe many of these dogs as sickly/diseased etc. Some of them around here look frighteningly unhealthy. 

I hate dogs frequenting our land. They defecate everywhere/ urinate on car tires/ steal things left outdoors. They are quiet a  nuisance. I'd considering hastening their demise if I knew how. 

I know one thing if I had a child of mine bitten by one it would be dead as dead can be. 

Money is always an excuse.  Maybe they can't afford to fence in their property... but some old rope or a chain is free!!!!  

My old house the land was fenced and partly walled too.  Dogs still found a way in.. they can jump high and squeeze through very small gaps.  I would be woken in the night by several dogs running about, usually they would be ripping open the chicken coop. We used to have quinea fowl but the dogs got in and killed all of them in one go.  We went out to scare them out, but they dogs stood their ground.. and 7 large barking, growling dogs with their eyes reflected in our torchlight was very frightening.  Some even charged at us as if to bite.  

We had 2 white pet ducks on our lake also... one night a dog got in and caught them.. injuring them so badly they died.  Very sad.  Of course no own owned up to owning the dogs.  

As my above post explained.. I have now been bitten a total of 3 times by street dogs.  Once was very bad and needed stitches.  Just got back form the hospital for yet more anti rabies jabs.. one more to go.  Money, worry, frightening experience and time wasted because some people are lazy and selfish to care for their dogs properly.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Money is always an excuse.  Maybe they can't afford to fence in their property... but some old rope or a chain is free!!!!  

My old house the land was fenced and partly walled too.  Dogs still found a way in.. they can jump high and squeeze through very small gaps.  I would be woken in the night by several dogs running about, usually they would be ripping open the chicken coop. We used to have quinea fowl but the dogs got in and killed all of them in one go.  We went out to scare them out, but they dogs stood their ground.. and 7 large barking, growling dogs with their eyes reflected in our torchlight was very frightening.  Some even charged at us as if to bite.  

We had 2 white pet ducks on our lake also... one night a dog got in and caught them.. injuring them so badly they died.  Very sad.  Of course no own owned up to owning the dogs.  

As my above post explained.. I have now been bitten a total of 3 times by street dogs.  Once was very bad and needed stitches.  Just got back form the hospital for yet more anti rabies jabs.. one more to go.  Money, worry, frightening experience and time wasted because some people are lazy and selfish to care for their dogs properly.  

wouldn't have survived if it were on my property

11 hours ago, marko kok prong said:

Kill em all, let God sort em out,but of course to many Thai's that dog could well be their Grandma,returned as a mutt.

True, though logically it'd be an act of mercy to help Granny through this ignoble reincarnation as swiftly as possible. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Do you dislike to word slaughter for the same reason?

Yes, we kill animals in a cull, but the English language is great in that a word can be very specific and give the reader/listener a lot of information instantly without the need to clarify. I can say a thing is 'big', 'huge',or 'gigantic' rather than having to say, 'big', 'very big', 'very very big'. Kill is a very vague term.

kill: cause the death of (a person, an animal, or other living thing)

murder: the unlawful and premeditated killing of one human being by another

slaughter: kill animals for food.

cull: reduce the population of (a wild animal) by selective slaughter, select from a large quantity; obtain from a variety of source

1.  These dogs are not wild.  

2.  This is not selective, but wide scale.

The vast majority of the dogs are perfectly fine.  No reason to go around killing them in large numbers over large areas because a tiny percentage are rabid.   I would prefer a soi dog to most people. 

5 minutes ago, dksharron said:

Yes, we kill animals in a cull, but the English language is great in that a word can be very specific and give the reader/listener a lot of information instantly without the need to clarify. I can say a thing is 'big', 'huge',or 'gigantic' rather than having to say, 'big', 'very big', 'very very big'. Kill is a very vague term.

cull: reduce the population of (a wild animal) by selective slaughter, select from a large quantity; obtain from a variety of source

The vast majority of the dogs are perfectly fine.  No reason to go around killing them in large numbers over large areas because a tiny percentage are rabid.   I would prefer a soi dog to most people. 

Entirely your choice. 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, dksharron said:

Cull means selection..it doesn't actually define how many or what percentage.

I think what a lot of people on this site are referring to tis "extermination", which could be included in current use of the word cull.

however neither interpretation will work in Thailand.

The dog problem is not just rabies, in fact that is only a small part of the problem. The real problem relates to health safety and hygiene throughout the country.

rabies is very wemotive and has got people talking about the problem in Thailand which got out of hand decades ago, which is why it is so intractable now.

• Like 1

On 17/03/2018 at 1:25 AM, Henrik Andersen said:

Kill them it is the only solution meaby sad for someone but it's the truth 

Sorry but it's not the only solution - in fact it's not even an effective solution to the problem of rabies. As the practical experience of rabies control efforts worldwide has shown and as the WHO website points out:

Vaccinating dogs is the most cost-effective strategy for preventing rabies in people.

...culling is an ineffective means of elimination and mass vaccination is most efficacious to reduce disease incidence in all species. 

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 12:26 PM, marko kok prong said:

Kill em all, let God sort em out,but of course to many Thai's that dog could well be their Grandma,returned as a mutt.

I don't think they believe that. Reincarnation is as another human being. What they do believe though, is that your status in a new incarnation is dependent on the merit you make in this one, which is why they feed soi dogs, to make merit.

Tell me if I'm wrong.

2 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

That's as well may be, but we are discussing the problem of rabies at the moment and people keep advocating a strategy that will not work.

A rabies outbreak led to a cull in Northern Peninsular Malaysia at the end of 2015 it was a total success in that it removed all the rabid dogs in a very short space of time

This cull only involved 4,500 + dogs and outed 40+ infected dogs tiny compared to what would be needed to make it successful in Thailand, but that does not change the fact that it eradicated rabies in that area

The cull was supported by a mass free vaccination programme, there have been no further cases up to press

Pre 2015 the last case of rabies in Malaysia was in 1999 it took them 13 years of hard work to become a recognised rabies free country

They only held on to this for 3 years

Rabies in Thailand is endemic it is a constant and always will be because the situation will just revert back to normal with nothing of any real substance being done as soon as the dust settles on this latest spot of bother

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

however neither interpretation will work in Thailand.

Give me a work permit and a dart gun to "cull" the soi dogs and I reckon I could do that pretty effectively. It's not exactly hard when they sleep on the roads at night.

Just have to keep at it constantly.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

Oh come on,   lets just let them do it and we can  find out latter who's right :thumbsup:

it's the best way forward :smile:

I like your style my man, but we do know its not going to happen dont we

Not least because of the actual size of the undertaking

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GroveHillWanderer said:
On 3/17/2018 at 1:25 AM, Henrik Andersen said:

them it is the only solution meaby sad for someone but it's the truth 

Sorry but it's not the only solution - in fact it's not even an effective solution to the problem of rabies. As the practical experience of rabies control efforts worldwide has shown and as the WHO website points out:

It is very effective and almost free of charge to kill all the soi dogs for sure it is cheaper than vaccine 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1