Uninsured Brit seriously injured and stranded in hospital after motorbike accident in Hua Hin

webfact

26 minutes ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Hit from behind?

Is the driver that hit him not insured to seriously injure farangs?

The crowd funding should not be necessary unless he was hit by an uninsured driver... Minimum 1 million on most policies should get him to a better hospital.:mad:

read the thread. looks like they were both foreigners and the guy in the car apparently(although i haven't seen it so cannot confirm) has dashcam footage that proves the motorbike was at fault. and the rest of your post is actually wrong but . . . . 

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, cat handler said:

I wouldn’t give him 1 Baht, he took the risk and lost. I got my bike license in Australia so I wouldn’t be covered by insurance in Thailand, I will be hiring bigger bikes next trip and I will make sure my insurance covers bikes over 250cc. He can rot in a BKK hospital for all I care.

I do the same. Just make sure you take the option that will cover the bike you intend to rent, and check if it states you need an international driving permit, then you are good to go. My tip, take your own helmet with you, and any other of your own riding gear if you can, but definitely your own helmet.

15 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

read the thread. looks like they were both foreigners and the guy in the car apparently(although i haven't seen it so cannot confirm) has dashcam footage that proves the motorbike was at fault. and the rest of your post is actually wrong but . . . . 

Sorry I hadn't been through 23 pages of posts, so I guess neither was insured (farang driver or otherwise) and the bike rider was at fault from what you say.

Crowd funding can be and often is a scam, maybe this guy deserves some help for his stupidity though?

Car/bike insurance here is supposed to be compulsory, and the 3rd party cover is 1 million on all of the companies I have had quotes from. So where am I wrong on that unless you don't get insured and drive illegally?

:burp:

17 hours ago, Catoni said:

No... not necessarily.  You can use apps like KAYAK to find the best flight deals... like flying to Bangkok for $800.00 or less.   Insurance on top of that is not cheap, depending on several factors.    Some people might be able to afford either the trip, or the insurance, but not both.   Not everyone is well off financially.  

And then there is the age factor.  For instance in my case... I'm 66 now.. .and even World Nomads won't insure me due to my age.    So what should I do ?   Be an armchair Youtube "traveller" ?   Dream about the rest of the world until I die? 

Sorry, you must be under 66 years of age to be eligible for our policy
Get a quote 

Try Allianz for travel insurance...cover up to at least age 70, and cover small bikes as long as you are license legal. 

31 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

and the rest of your post is actually wrong but . . . . 

Car/bike insurance here is supposed to be compulsory, and the 3rd party cover is 1 million on all of the companies I have had quotes from. So where am I wrong on that unless you don't get insured and drive illegally?

Tourist rental insurance might be different...

:cheesy:

7 minutes ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Tourist rental insurance might be different...

:cheesy:

probably. 3rd party insurance here certainly isn't paying out a million baht

12 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

Someone should take him off Haloperidol, me thinks . 

You crack me up. I honestly couldnt give a s**t about the fool. His trouble for not having insurance, not mine.

I suspect he’ll be the one on medication, ie., painkillers, for years to come.

me thinks.

1 minute ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Pay out wasn't my point, but you are most likely right.

i don't mean payout as in cash but it's best to have 1st class insurance on your motors and yourself here. the mandatory 3rd class insurance that most have here i guess covers pretty much nothing as far as i know. serious accident or health problem and no money then your on your own. if there's any place to put insurance above all else this is it IMO

20 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Because... and this may be a bit of an eye-opener for you, this is Thailand.

And why would that be? When hit from behind (fortunately the truck not bike) by a dopey driver on the phone, in my case his insurance paid up. It can happen. The article doesn't mention that the other driver fled the scene or was uninsured.

13 hours ago, soalbundy said:

If the driver has a car he has means to get funds. My brother in law (Thai) killed a motor cyclist with his car in Bangkok, his insurance paid but it didn't cover the full amount of damage, he couldn't pay the rest sum and did 4 years in prison not a month or two, it cost him his job and his marriage. as well.

May be. However, if the car didn't belong to the driver--like borrowed or on auto loan--the owners would most likely fight selling the car for the hospital bills. And, I'll wager your BIL hit another Thai, perhaps one more well connected, and like you said, killed him. The Brit is still alive and may survive, but you are right, I should have said that instead of he would die.

15 hours ago, travelerjim said:

Not true.  The policy described above covers both health insurance including accidents.  Read the exclusions regarding skydiving and similar.  But motorbike accidents would be covered .

My travel insurance will cover me for riding a motorbike provided I hold that class of licence in Australia, which I do, must be wearing a helmet and of course not have been drinking. It's a no brainer really.

21 hours ago, Minnehaha said:

As a non UK national, if I were visiting the UK and had an accident like this and had no insurance what would happen?

As an ex police man, You would be prosecuted for no insurance, and your car would be seized .  The owner of the vehicle, would also be prosecuted for permitting you to drive the vehicle with no insurance.

In the UK, the person is insured to drive, not the vehicle. Normally insured to drive a specific vehicle, unless your policy states otherwise.

On 19/03/2018 at 8:17 AM, Formaleins said:

Good for you! Great you can tuck away 3 million for your medical expenses, and then have access to even more. However, not everyone is as lucky as you.

I take it the bike was uninsured. In Thailand it's the vehicle that is insured plus the occupants. Even jet skis rented are required to be insured in Thailand. Why not the motorbike rentals? 

10 hours ago, Bastos60 said:

And not wearing protective gear, he should have know better in the first place. I can understand that some countries don't make it mandatory, but coming from a 1st world country he should have known better. 

Yes, I see where you are coming from, but I do not wear the protective gear apart from the helmet, on short journeys that I wear on long journeys. Maybe I'm a naughty boy, it would be interesting to know what other riders especially small bike riders think about this.

As far as I know, western insurance companies class renting out a motor bike/scooter as dangerouse sport. If he had taken out insurance he would not have been covered for accident on a bike. He probably also did not have a motor bike licence. 

They say he as hit from behind. Is there no law that makes that person pay, though there own vehicle insurance. I thought it was compulsory that you have to have the government insurance that covers 3rd party injuries. 

And why are these drivers speeding in the first place, or not looking where they are going? The primary reason is the toy police force. Nobody, and I mean nobody takes these guys seriously. There is absolutely nothing in the way of a deterrent here, and both the local governments, the central government (weak Little P.) and the police do not take traffic safety seriously. Not even one iota. The safety of the public means less than zero to the small men in charge here. Nothing. They show that on a daily basis. They will not do a thing. Why? They do not care about the people one iota. Not the common people. Not the average pleb. No way. Never have cared, and may never care in the future. It is all about protecting the elite, the super wealthy, those that are connected, and those in power. The rest of the population? They do not matter. The ex-pat community does not matter. And the police will not get involved unless an accident has already occurred. There is no prevention. None. The idea of getting the police more involved, is an interesting one, and it would be an effective one. But, the issue is money. They are grossly underpaid, and until the government steps up, and spends the trillion baht on updating the police equipment, and paying each cop a living wage, it is not going to happen. Until then, they will just work the franchise. 

When I was growing up, we took drivers education classes. They showed us these horrendous films, of semi trucks crashing into cars, and literally obliterating them, and everything inside. Also, they showed very graphic images of head on collisions. Even as a young kid, it left a lasting impression, and I realized driving was no joking matter. Especially when you have your friends, or loved ones in the car with you. I am constantly astonished at the kinds of chances people take here, with their entire family in the car with them. Why? What is the logic? What is the reason? Why take those risks? Often, when someone cuts onto the highway in front of me, as I am doing 100kpm or more on the highway, I look in my rearview mirror, and there is nobody behind me for quite some distance. Which means, had they paused, and waited 2 or 3 seconds, there would have been zero risk to them, their family, or me and my family. What can one even say? All of this matters even more when driving a motorbike, where there is no protection. 

The only way to survive here on the road, is to be patient, have eyes in the back of your head, drive with caution, and always, and I mean always watch out of the other guy. Chances are, he does not have much driving skill, nor patience, nor reason, nor common sense. You cannot be too careful on the road here. Especially considering that the toy police offer no traffic safety, nor enforcement of the law. 

All the checkpoints do is clog traffic on the highways, and put alot of cash into the pockets of the toy police. It is all about catching people performing moving violations. That is what causes most accidents. And herein lies the deterrent. As long as everyone is allowed to get away with extremely reckless driving, entering the highway in front of an oncoming vehicle that is only 100 meters away, going 100kph, cutting in front of vehicles within one meter at high speeds, swerving like crazy idiots all over the highway, trucks and 40 year old cars occupying the fast lane doing 40kph, when other vehicles are approaching doing 120kph, drunk driving, etc, accidents, major injuries and deaths will continue to happen, and no amount of rhetoric and platitudes by the fabulously incompetent and insincere authorities are going to make any difference. 

The police only show up after the accident takes place. There is nothing in the way of traffic safety on the roads, or on the highways. Those traffic stops are all about weapons, drugs and handouts. Nothing to do with safety. I suppose there is no money in traffic safety. However, if they levied real fines for speeding over 120kph, for reckless driving, making severely quick lane changes, etc, there would be some money to be made, and the highways would be safer. 

Just a few days ago, I was driving along at about 110kph, on a good, straight stretch of highway. A safe speed. And some joker cuts in front of me with his pickup truck. Within two meters in front of me, then slams on his brakes. I guess he never stopped to look at the lane he was cutting into to see that there was no room for him! I slammed on my brakes to avoid the numnut, and barely missed him. Would have been a horrific crash. Why? What was the point of him changing lanes? Why didn't he look first? Who changes lanes without looking first, when they are doing over 100 kph? Why so little regard for his wife, and for others? Where does that mentality come from? Why do Thais seem so polite, yet when they get into a car, everything they have ever learned in life goes right out the window? Why so little in the way of common sense, reason, and the ability to be careful and maintain some vision? Why such idiocy? The apparent lack of skill and peripheral awareness on the road here is very scary.

Real men do what is necessary to save lives. Kids and highly underdeveloped people make promises, tell lies and engage in deflection.

Little P.  - Moving Thailand backwards at a breath taking, alarming, and astonishing pace. 

Now for my scooter rant: Many of us drive motorcycles or scooters here, and it is dangerous getting on the roads with some of these other drivers. 

Getting on a scooter, or a motorcycle anywhere in Thailand, much less Phuket, Phangan, Dark Tao, or Samui without a very good helmet, is like playing Russian Roulette with three or four bullets in the chamber. It is absolutely asking for problems. The degree of recklessness here is astounding. And many foreigners come here thinking "how much trouble could I get in on a little scooter, on a tropical island"? Well, the answer is alot. The amount of foreigners who are killed on the Southern islands is staggering. Most are not reported in the media. I had a friend who worked for Samui rescue for many years, and said the numbers were about 30-60 a month, on Samui, Phangan and Koh Tao. The official number is about 3 a month. Rider beware. Use as good a helmet as you can afford, and do not use these eggshells pieces of crap. They crack at the first impact, and what lies underneath them? Your skull, which is very delicate. 

Just ask yourself- do I have enough problems already, without a broken skull, or smashed head, or face injury, or lost eye? I have two friends who have been in motorbike accidents on Samui within the last two years. One still cannot walk, or talk or function on her own, from a motorbike accident, where she hit her head on the pavement going only 20 kph. The other one has lost alot of his mental capacity after hitting his head. He insisted for years he would never wear a helmet. Now, he seems 15 years older. 

3 hours ago, Foxter said:

As an ex police man, You would be prosecuted for no insurance, and your car would be seized .  The owner of the vehicle, would also be prosecuted for permitting you to drive the vehicle with no insurance.

In the UK, the person is insured to drive, not the vehicle. Normally insured to drive a specific vehicle, unless your policy states otherwise.

Sorry but the point of my question was re winding up in hospital in UK with bills one foreign national has no insurance to cover. Pls reply to that, as an ex police. Interested to hear. 

Also the idea of insuring a person to drive sounds ridiculous. How do you let the wife or daughter or cousin or friend drive your car? Is it not easier to insure the car? And how does one qualify for insuring? Driving tests? Sorry but the idea does not make sense. Pls explain.

5 hours ago, Foxter said:

How do you know that he is an ex police man? :cheesy:  (Not trying to be "Grammar Police", but perhaps the use of the word "Speaking" at the start of your statement would have been better?)

On 3/19/2018 at 8:14 AM, Xonax said:

Unfortunately in Thailand motorbikes are required by law to drive in the left lane, which makes u-turns an extremely dangerous manouver.

29214780_2075447209392541_20542837639148

This law is very good, when riding my scooter on the left I feel safe, but I admit that u-turns are very, very dangerous for us , motobikers

23 hours ago, Wake Up said:

Frankly I am tired of beggars. Let me take all the risk of fun without insurance and then if something happens beg responsible people to give me money. Age 56 and no assets is a disgrace. 

Disgrace? Hmmm

I'm volunteering for an institution that helps people like the guy we're talking about. A German who's once a Euro millionaire made the huge mistake to marry a Thai girl he fell in love with.

The Thai girl then told him that she'd like to go and live in Thailand where her family lives, near Surin. 

He married her, moved to Surin, bought a new house, 40 Rai of land, and was planning to build  a resort.

But he didn't know that the girl was involved in dubious drug business and she must have lost many millions of baht.

One day a Chinese mafiosi came by and told him that his wife had lost all land and the poor guy bought all land back for an unbelievable high price. Not long and she got arrested with drugs where he paid a huge sum to some people ( he thought cops) who'd told him that she wouldn't have to go to prison.

But she got arrested and soon afterwards he suffered a stroke. That was the time when I first met him. A guy with character, a former millionaire who's used to drive around in Rolls Royce only.

The same guy is now  physically and mentally a wrack. I hope nothing similar will ever happen to you. But I assume that you are not so stupid like so many others, right?

Never say never, you'll never know if/when you get sick, perhaps a hit and run, and if you don't have any more cash and it turns out that your Thai wife isn't really loving you, it could be a strange wake up call and change of mind.  

The answer is unfortunately in the comment of the article...."uninsured"..... sorry for the chap and wish him a fast recovery...

but what do people expect ultimately ?....is it always for others to shell out money for the (sorry) carelessness of some ? ....

all this will lead to ultimately have further immigration hassles for the responsabile tourists/expats travelling and entering the kingdom, thanks to a careless few....

as for driving around Thailand, when on holiday, on unfamiliar roads...it would also be time for foreign embassies and airlines to advise people travelling to Thailand as tourists to avoid driving and taking things for granted on the lawless thai roads....

12 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Yes, I see where you are coming from, but I do not wear the protective gear apart from the helmet, on short journeys that I wear on long journeys. Maybe I'm a naughty boy, it would be interesting to know what other riders especially small bike riders think about this.

No matter what gear you are wearing, if you get hit hard by a car from the back, you will always have severe injuries.

I have rented a 'small' bike as well in Thailand and yes did fall with it while having to break on a sandy road, those wounds took a year to completely heal, actually had to get xray's for my hand
as it got bruised hard.

Anything that goes +50 km/h isn't a small bike anymore, those small bikes they rent out are all at least 125cc and actually feel very unsafe if drive it at maximum speed.

Since it is a hit and run by the car, it will be very difficult to track down the driver.

23 hours ago, Happy enough said:

i don't mean payout as in cash but it's best to have 1st class insurance on your motors and yourself here. the mandatory 3rd class insurance that most have here i guess covers pretty much nothing as far as i know. serious accident or health problem and no money then your on your own. if there's any place to put insurance above all else this is it IMO

Have a look and you will see.

Archived