Thai motorcyclist, tourist fight over use of pavement

webfact

22 hours ago, wirat69 said:

Foreign gentleman not much of a fighter.... he had plenty of opportunity to get a kick into the gonads.... AND he ignored the other motorcyclist riding on the footpath as well. Didn't he know that he could take their photograph (both of them) and be 1,000 baht richer now!!??

If the authorities got off their ar_es and did their job, the issue wouldn't have arisen, never mind expecting people to do their job for the idle tossers.

It’s all very well to comment, criticise and pick on other people based on what they’ve typed. At the end of the day these comments, arguments, disputes, disagreements or however you put it will not change the reality and how things and Thai people are, no they will not change, no listen, no reply an email, a line message and will definitely not call you back unless of course they want something from you. Especially no answer when they are being asked questions nor will they have the courage to say “ I don’t understand “  

You may have better luck trying to teach a wild animal to speak a foreign language..555

There are reasons why this developing country is so insular, clearly the majority of Thai people are not interested to anything that is non Thai except foreign currencies, sadly so ☹️

Have a good and a safe day and mind your health, there’s no point wasting it trying to make a Thai person to listen or even to learn about manners..

Take it as it is and go with the flow, avoidance and non confrontational seems the only way since interactions lead only to grief and disappointments to put it lightly.

Stay safe and take care of yourselves out in the wilderness.

Cheers.

Edited by Ramdas

3 hours ago, manchega said:

such scumbags, they think they have the right of way everywhere.  This is why I drive with serious prejudice towards all motorcycles, not just the taxi motorcycles.

Try not to worry about it, always look on the bright side as their actions today will result in quite a few less of them to watch out for tomorrow 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

It is never a good idea to engage in a fight with a Thai person. Never. Only under the most extreme circumstances, when your life is being threatened. You never win. If you kick their ass you lose, if they kick your ass you lose. Just refrain. I get infuriated from time to time. But, I have learned to not mouth off, and I attempt to show respect. The bottom line is that there are traffic laws here, but they are never enforced by the toy police. So, there is no deterrent. Everyone does as they like. Of course, a tourist would not know that. There should be a set of printed rules, and advice given out by the TAT, to every tourist when they enter Thailand for the first time. Here are some of my suggestions.

1. There is very little common sense or reason practiced here in Thailand. If it is employed, you will never be able to interpret it as the kind of common sense, and reason you are accustomed to.

2. Thailand is not a foreign country. It is a distant planet. Always keep that in mind. On so many levels, this place does is not familiar. That is one of the things I like most about living here. But, it takes some time to get used to, and I have to remind myself alot, of that reality. Perspective on the place helps alot. 

3. Most Thais are kind hearted, and decent people. Just show some respect. It is their country after all. Do not expect them to behave like you do. Kindness and respect toward the locals goes a long way toward making your stay here really pleasant, and can defuse, or prevent alot of hostile situations.

4. Thailand is a very foreign culture. They are one or two generations removed from a nearly total tribal existence. So, alot of traditional values still exist. Expect that. Most are very conventional people, and most live in very small boxes, in terms of lifestyle. 

5. The police are not here to protect you. They do not care one iota about your well being, your safety, or traffic safety. Expect that. Do not employ them, unless absolutely necessary. 

6. If driving, especially on a motorbike, treat the activity as an act of war, in a sense that you may be mowed down or killed at any moment.

Maintain eyes in the back of your head. Watch everyone. Expect craziness, insanity, lack of reason, and a complete lack of courtesy and respect on the roads, at all times. 

Expect cars and trucks to be coming at you in the wrong lane. Expect people to overtake you with the slimmest of margins.

Expect trucks to be driving very slowly in the fast lane of a highway. 

If riding a motorbike, only do so if you have many years of experience. Especially on the southern islands, where huge numbers of foreigners leave Thailand in a wooden box. Wear the best helmet you can afford. And drive like a grandmother. This applies to ex-pats too. Bring along an international drivers license. This helps you to avoid being fleeced by the local police franchisee.

That would be like a western grandmother not Thai I presume

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

After the hug it would be wise to check if he still had his wallet and mobile phone :smile:

What you think the farang might have lifted the riders wallet and mobile

5 hours ago, manhood said:

Well for me as living now couple of years in Thailand i found out that thais always turns aggressive if you catch them by the wrongdoing...and they do it every day at every place at any time!

I hate this idea if smiling thailand. It is not excisting anymore because most of the are selfished : me always first"

So Thailand is not a great tourist place to go!

Really depends on where you live, how you show up.
Living here since 8 years now, have a quite different experience.

16 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

You can translate the post whichever way you like :smile:  Don't think either of these dorks warrant much respect, do you?

The bike rider for riding on the footpath, yes, definite dork.

The stupid farang for getting into a fight with a Thai, yes, definite dork

• Like 1

I see similar things often, old farang ladies standing out in the traffic and waving their hands at the traffic in some weird act of anger and defiance....thailand is a very easy place to live, if you have the attitude of live and let live and mind your own business....

agression is not going to work, it’s a bad state of mind.

if the Thai is riding on the pavement so what ?

that guy will end up with a heart attack or a nervous breakdown .

crazy behavior is what it is....it will not bring a good future that’s for sure.

On 3/20/2018 at 1:04 AM, Ramdas said:

Tourists should learn and adapt to the fact that there aren’t any traffic road rules and relgulations in Thailand, which means pedestrians are just mobile pawns at risk of being run over whether on the side walk or on the pedestrian’s zebra crossing, you are at risk of being injured at any given moment especially in Bangkok !

In this instance, the fat lump who tried to impose himself on the Thai guy miserably failed, although needless to say the police aren’t there to prevent this clash from escalating as it did considering that in the end the Thai guy would have got away with it in spite of the fact that he’s not supposed to ride on the pavement..Sadly, a foreigner is always a target in Thailand, I very much doubt he would’ve won a court cause in an orderly manner   ?

Morons both.

20 hours ago, Acemaker said:

It is never a good idea to engage in a fight with a Thai person. Never. Only under the most extreme circumstances, when your life is being threatened. You never win. If you kick their ass you lose, if they kick your ass you lose. Just refrain. I get infuriated from time to time. But, I have learned to not mouth off, and I attempt to show respect. The bottom line is that there are traffic laws here, but they are never enforced by the toy police. So, there is no deterrent. Everyone does as they like. Of course, a tourist would not know that. There should be a set of printed rules, and advice given out by the TAT, to every tourist when they enter Thailand for the first time. Here are some of my suggestions.

1. There is very little common sense or reason practiced here in Thailand. If it is employed, you will never be able to interpret it as the kind of common sense, and reason you are accustomed to.

2. Thailand is not a foreign country. It is a distant planet. Always keep that in mind. On so many levels, this place does is not familiar. That is one of the things I like most about living here. But, it takes some time to get used to, and I have to remind myself alot, of that reality. Perspective on the place helps alot. 

3. Most Thais are kind hearted, and decent people. Just show some respect. It is their country after all. Do not expect them to behave like you do. Kindness and respect toward the locals goes a long way toward making your stay here really pleasant, and can defuse, or prevent alot of hostile situations.

4. Thailand is a very foreign culture. They are one or two generations removed from a nearly total tribal existence. So, alot of traditional values still exist. Expect that. Most are very conventional people, and most live in very small boxes, in terms of lifestyle. 

5. The police are not here to protect you. They do not care one iota about your well being, your safety, or traffic safety. Expect that. Do not employ them, unless absolutely necessary. 

6. If driving, especially on a motorbike, treat the activity as an act of war, in a sense that you may be mowed down or killed at any moment.

Maintain eyes in the back of your head. Watch everyone. Expect craziness, insanity, lack of reason, and a complete lack of courtesy and respect on the roads, at all times. 

Expect cars and trucks to be coming at you in the wrong lane. Expect people to overtake you with the slimmest of margins.

Expect trucks to be driving very slowly in the fast lane of a highway. 

If riding a motorbike, only do so if you have many years of experience. Especially on the southern islands, where huge numbers of foreigners leave Thailand in a wooden box. Wear the best helmet you can afford. And drive like a grandmother. This applies to ex-pats too. Bring along an international drivers license. This helps you to avoid being fleeced by the local police franchisee.

Such a pleasant Read, why on Earth would anyone want to live anywhere else!   :cheesy:

Life here is a challenge on some levels, but very pleasant on many others. Personally, I really like living here, and am thankful, and grateful to be here. You have to know where you are, adjust your behavior and expectations as such, behave honorably, treat the locals with respect and dignity, have some very good AC units in your house, and watch your back when it comes to driving. Other than that, it is a nice place to live. Many of the Thai people I deal with are delightful, light hearted, fun and warm. Cannot say that about the majority of Americans I deal with, when back there. I would not want to live in the US, at this point in time, unless it was the last place in the world, or I had some ridiculous opportunities. Just stating the obvious, with the above post.