Rabies shots for 143 Buri Ram villagers after girl’s death

webfact

Rabies shots for 143 Buri Ram villagers after girl’s death

By The Nation

rb.jpg

FILE photo

Buri Ram public health officials on Wednesday started giving rabies shots to 143 people in a village after a 14-year-old schoolgirl died of rabies.

The girl, who was eighth grader at Ban Suksamran School in Pakham district, died on March 17. She became the first rabies victim in Buri Ram and sixth in the country this year.

Doctor Withit Sarideechaikul, chief Buri Ram public health officer, said officials had isolated 143 people who had contacted with the girl and the puppy in question and started giving them rabies shots on Wednesday. They include the girl's relatives, teachers and fellow students.

Withit said the girl was scratched by her puppy in October last year and her family did not take her for a rabies vaccine.

She had a high fever and became nervous and was admitted to the Pakham Hospital on March 16, and died the following day.

Withit said rabies virus can reside in the body between seven days and one year before it shows symptoms, depending on how far the wound is far from the brain.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30341403

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-03-21

1 hour ago, missoura said:

Giving the rabies vaccine to a person who has not been bitten by a dog?

It's used to prevent Rabies

From Wikipedia

Rabies vaccine is a vaccine used to prevent rabies. There are a number of vaccines available that are both safe and effective. They can be used to prevent rabies before and for a period of time after exposure to the virus such as by a dog or bat bite

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabies_vaccine

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Withit said the girl was scratched by her puppy in October last year and her family did not take her for a rabies vaccine.

That's pretty scary considering the countless number of times I have had blood drawn by either bites or scratches over the last decade by my dogs during play.

Something worth considering soon. On a similar note, I had the wife call our vet to check if they had vaccine (for the dogs) in stock before bringing them down to get a shot. I was informed to wait until next week as they had low stock and will be getting more next week. Even though Phitsanulok isn't in any of the 'red' areas, it seems people are taking it seriously. Most of these will obviously be Thai owners, just thought I'd mention that so we don't generalize on all Thai owners being negligent.............................:thumbsup:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MJCM said:

May I ask why ?

Faulty vaccines , badly kept (in high temperatures) , ignored expiring dates , fakes ,.... who knows what they're really shooting up your arm.

I'd be nervous to give it even to my cat or dog ... if I had one of those.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BuaBS said:

Faulty vaccines , badly kept (in high temperatures) , ignored expiring dates , fakes ,.... who knows what they're really shooting up your arm.

I'd be nervous to give it even to my cat or dog ... if I had one of those.

paranoia is an illness

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1