'No more' or we vote you out - students lead huge U.S. anti-gun rallies

rooster59

On 3/30/2018 at 1:51 PM, billd766 said:

8 massacres in schools and colleges in 2018 so far and you think things are not bad enough yet.

IMHO they are the right age to start and to see it through while the current dinosaurs have no idea what is going on and will be dying off, but not quickly enough.

If politicians' children were massacred we'd see sweeping change - and fast. 

If I recall correctly Scalia - conservative's conservative - said the 2nd Amendment does not say there can not be limitations to firearm purchases or types of weapons sold. Did he not? 

On 3/25/2018 at 10:56 PM, tigermoth said:

Very true and it's time the supporters of the gun lobby stopped quoting an out of date constitutional law which no longer serves the purpose it was originally introduced, in fact is serving exactly the opposite purpose, allowing law abiding American citizens to be slain.

Law?  My right to bear arms isn't protected by a law.

Kurt

• Like 2

On 3/27/2018 at 11:55 PM, billd766 said:

Ask this young woman Emma Gonzalez why she and hundreds of thousnads of other people, young and old why they are protesting. They cannot live with the carnage nor should they have to. It ISN'T an exercise in registering young Democrats but the reality of the USA today.

Hate to break up your little tea party but the average age of the attendees was 49 and not young people.

Kurt

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, lannarebirth said:

Thank you for the link.

One small step for Deerfield and hopefully the same small step for the USA.

Sanity rules there and I hope that it spreads, not necessarily like wildfire, but slowly and steadily.

On 3/28/2018 at 1:44 PM, billd766 said:

Children and students were not slaughtered in schools then as they are now on a weekly basis in the USA.

Children were not slaughtered on a weekly basis during the 1950s or 1960s either. What has changed? 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, zydeco said:

Children were not slaughtered on a weekly basis during the 1950s or 1960s either. What has changed? 

50 years of "progress".

50 years ago people knew and were friends with their neighbours, PTSD was virtually unknown, epople had respect for other people, presidents were more honest, police were friendler, the world was a lot slower and a nicer place.

18 minutes ago, billd766 said:

50 years of "progress".

50 years ago people knew and were friends with their neighbours, PTSD was virtually unknown, epople had respect for other people, presidents were more honest, police were friendler, the world was a lot slower and a nicer place.

I'd make it 60.

2 hours ago, zydeco said:

Didn't the cops patrol the streets on foot then? Since foot patrols were discontinued in favour of responding to crimes rather than preventing them happening, things have not gone well, IMO.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

50 years of "progress".

Yep, and the very breakdown in the way our societies function has been driven by successive generations of young people.

They're the ones who put their feet on train seats, jump turnstiles to avoid a fare, have no respect for older people, advocate for illicit drugs to be freely available, believe current laws (for anything) are too harsh, and on it goes.

Yes, the very same young people.

I think this movement is pi$$ing into a 40 knot northerly, but more than anything, I hope I'm very wrong.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Haha 1

On 4/4/2018 at 1:45 PM, billd766 said:

50 years of "progress".

Not that it has anything to do with this thread but...

You think PTSD was "virtually unknown" in 1968? I would strongly suggest a fact-check on that whopper! Suggest you start 50 yrs earlier. Google WW1 and shell-shock.

Crap like that detracts from any sane argument you may present.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2018 at 3:57 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

and there was half the population. Overbreeding has serious repercussions.

You're forgetting the demographic shift.  Before 1965, the US had a very different immigration policy.  Might have something to do with it, I'm just saying.

23 minutes ago, sukhumvitneon said:

You're forgetting the demographic shift.  Before 1965, the US had a very different immigration policy.  Might have something to do with it, I'm just saying.

what was that policy for those of us that don't know?

On 19/4/2561 at 7:53 AM, mikebike said:

Not that it has anything to do with this thread but...

You think PTSD was "virtually unknown" in 1968? I would strongly suggest a fact-check on that whopper! Suggest you start 50 yrs earlier. Google WW1 and shell-shock.

Crap like that detracts from any sane argument you may present.

If you wish to go back to WW1 you may find that PTSD was totally unknown but shell shock was. 

PTSD was "discovered" in 1980 as this link points out. 

https://www.ptsd.va.gov/professional/ptsd-overview/ptsd-overview.asp

So FYI I did fact check and crap posts like yours detracts from any sane argument you may present.

Have a nice day.

11 minutes ago, billd766 said:

If you wish to go back to WW1 you may find that PTSD was totally unknown but shell shock was. 

PTSD was "discovered" in 1980 as this link points out. 

https://www.ptsd.va.gov/professional/ptsd-overview/ptsd-overview.asp

So FYI I did fact check and crap posts like yours detracts from any sane argument you may present.

Have a nice day.

From Dr. Steven Joseph, Psychology Today:

Is shell shock the same as PTSD? This is an intriguing question; one that I've been scratching my head over for the last couple of weeks.

The answer I've come up with is that PTSD and shell shock are the same.

None of this matters. 

The title of this peice is "no more, we vote you out".

We are tricked into believing it actually works that way, but it doesn't. The way it does work is the person who has the most money and manipulative influence wins. It does not matter if you would like them out or not. THese politicians would all rather not be enemies of the nra. I am already impressed with the kids. The thing with Laura Inghram is priceless. If they actually get something done i will be very impressed. 

On 21/4/2561 at 11:42 AM, mikebike said:

From Dr. Steven Joseph, Psychology Today:

Is shell shock the same as PTSD? This is an intriguing question; one that I've been scratching my head over for the last couple of weeks.

The answer I've come up with is that PTSD and shell shock are the same.

They most probably are, but having said that there are few if any survivors of WW1 left alive now and no survivors of shell shock either, as it was a hundred years ago that WW1 ended.

All that is left are the reports written at the time which bear little resemblance to PTSD reports form the last 20 or 30 years.

Science, medicine and warfare have evolved considerably in the last 100 years.