CRV vs Fortuner

cms22

53 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

True enough, a generalisation, but when you have been here a long time, its obvious most Ferang Fortuna Drivers are jumped up short <deleted> .! So why ware a Dunces Cap n get laughed at. ?

What a daft post...bored.gif.9e04d28f35474b1936bc20204967e064.gif

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, juehoe said:

You should also look at the new CX-5. The CR-V is better, if you need a lot of space and you will stay with Honda. The CX-5 is better, if you like driving. It is more powerful and has better driving dynamics than the CR-V. The CX-5 also offers adaptive cruise control which is very useful for the long trips.

The Fortuner is only an option, if you need to go off-road. The Fortuner is quite hard. In this case, the Ford Everest would be a better choice.

This is the OP. I must admit that if the car was solely for me, I  probably would have purchased the Everest. I really do like it. 

However, the vehicle will very much be used as a family car and my wife will probably/certainly do the majority of the driving. I work in Bangkok but do not use a car to commute so I'll probably only be enjoying the car at weekends and holidays. My wife (who is not tall!) much prefers the CRV and the comfort that provides. 

3 minutes ago, cms22 said:

This is the OP. I must admit that if the car was solely for me, I  probably would have purchased the Everest. I really do like it. 

However, the vehicle will very much be used as a family car and my wife will probably/certainly do the majority of the driving. I work in Bangkok but do not use a car to commute so I'll probably only be enjoying the car at weekends and holidays. My wife (who is not tall!) much prefers the CRV and the comfort that provides. 

It is the right ride for the criteria you have stated....

The Fortuner is a great ride but in your case I think not really suitable.

PS. Your weeee Mrs would not have a problem driving the Fortuner, Mrs. Trans is weee and has no probs driving our 4x4 Vigo auto with the seat and steering wheel adjustments available..:smile:

In other country, the CRV users have make some comments that it have some effect but still on new in Thailand yet. I would feel more confident in Toyota Fortuner as I been driving it for the pass 14 years and no problems in the road.

1 minute ago, transam said:

It is the right ride for the criteria you have stated....

The Fortuner is a great ride but in your case I think not really suitable.

PS. Your weeee Mrs would not have a problem driving the Fortuner, Mrs. Trans is weee and has no probs driving our 4x4 Vigo auto with the seat and steering wheel adjustments available..:smile:

I agree, I think my wife could have probably adjusted if I had persevered. She has only ever driven our Civic and the thought of driving a big Fortuner or Everest was a little daunting for her!

19 hours ago, fredob43 said:

Comments. Both are good the 'diesel' Tuna 2.8 is bigger also uses a lot less fuel in town, CRV 'Petrol' drinks it round town. Both of us agree on that. Ok on a run though both using about the same.

The new model CRV is getting nearly double the new Tuna. Both are much better than the older models.

1 hour ago, transam said:

Why would it hurt me, I don't own a Fortuner, but you know the stature of farang Fortuner owners.....bored.gif.87097a689c5919754552808997c56dbf.gif

So why get involved with the Big Heads.? A Honda CRV is clearly the Refined Gentlemans Ride. the Fortuna is the Bargirl n Flash Harry Favorite.

CRV is the best all rounder, Fortuner looks big but not big inside except for the trunk space. Like another poster said, its actually hard to get in and out for the passenger seats - poorly designed.

CRV is easier to drive and park too.

5 hours ago, HAKAPALITA said:

True enough, a generalisation, but when you have been here a long time, its obvious most Ferang Fortuna Drivers are jumped up short <deleted> .! So why ware a Dunces Cap n get laughed at. ?

15 years enuf ?

And I gave up thinking what others thought of me, and what I do, when I was 12.

Merc, BMW, Minibus all head and shoulders above any Tuna pilot

Recently I drove in the back of a Fortuner taxi in Phuket.

Some stretches were a bit bumpy.

I almost got sick and was looking out for a sick-bag :biggrin:

That's all I can contribute.

I drive a small limousine.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fullcave said:

The new model CRV is getting nearly double the new Tuna. Both are much better than the older models.

So the new CRV is getting 3.1lt = 100km on a run and 3.7lt = 100km around town is it. I get in my 2.8 tuna 6.2 on run and 7.2/3 round town. Then again you did say nearly. Note to self must get a CRV as they run on air?

1 hour ago, fredob43 said:

Then again you did say nearly.

Exactly. However, don't get too upset as I was only comparing fuel economy. The Tuna is much better off road and has higher ground clearance. Also, Diesel engines tend to last longer. But I still don't like the way the back seats fold up! Goddamnit, they should have updated the interior! :post-4641-1156693976:

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, fullcave said:

Exactly. However, don't get too upset as I was only comparing fuel economy. The Tuna is much better off road and has higher ground clearance. Also, Diesel engines tend to last longer. But I still don't like the way the back seats fold up! Goddamnit, they should have updated the interior! :post-4641-1156693976:

I must agree with you I also don't like the lift up seats. As I never use them they have been taken out like I did in my old Tuna. Now left with a big boot or a large Tank estate. At least somewhere to put the G/L on long runs.

If you had been comparing my old 3lt Tuna you would have been correct as that ate fuel. Almost double what the new 2.8 does.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cms22 said:

I agree, I think my wife could have probably adjusted if I had persevered. She has only ever driven our Civic and the thought of driving a big Fortuner or Everest was a little daunting for her!

Length and width of a fortuner/everest is not a lot different to that of an accord/camry. You just sit much higher and have a better view of the road. And they deal with flooded Bangkok roads much better than a sedan. Just saw a ford focus dead on the road on Changwattana this afternoon - probably a victim of this morning's floods there. 

13 hours ago, bearpolar said:

new x-trail 7 seats is coming out probably soon.. cheaper than CRV and pretty much on par i'd think.. Just a tad bit smaller.

WAnted a CRV but i saw a new model x-trail in westernland and we might just go with that one.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the CRV 2.4 three years ago. Couldn't be happier.

It can be driven like a car. I just sat in the Fortuner and I felt like sitting behind the wheel of a truck, to be polite... But I am not a big guy (1.82m/82kg), if you are a lot bigger you may feel cramped.

Three years ago the CRV was a lot safer, airbags, braking, impact absorbing body (means throw away car after any major  impact but you survive, possibly... TIT).

Smart engine, can drink anything, I run in on E20, 14KM/Liter currently; but I am living in the countryside.

Amazingly smart gearbox, when overtaking you just concentrate on risk evaluation, once you've made your decision put down your right foot and the car will take care of everything else.. In most case I need only 1 or 2 seconds acceleration and than let go, as it reaches 110/120 kmh in no time at all.

Honda service has been good so far, even though I can see some signs of decay now at my Buriram dealer. Hope they'll correct course. The Honda insurance they flog with the car will also screw you at the first minot claim, like a scratched rear door. So take the free insurance for the first year and look somewhere else.

10 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

I bought the CRV 2.4 three years ago. Couldn't be happier.

It can be driven like a car. I just sat in the Fortuner and I felt like sitting behind the wheel of a truck, to be polite... But I am not a big guy (1.82m/82kg), if you are a lot bigger you may feel cramped.

Three years ago the CRV was a lot safer, airbags, braking, impact absorbing body (means throw away car after any major  impact but you survive, possibly... TIT).

Smart engine, can drink anything, I run in on E20, 14KM/Liter currently; but I am living in the countryside.

Amazingly smart gearbox, when overtaking you just concentrate on risk evaluation, once you've made your decision put down your right foot and the car will take care of everything else.. In most case I need only 1 or 2 seconds acceleration and than let go, as it reaches 110/120 kmh in no time at all.

Honda service has been good so far, even though I can see some signs of decay now at my Buriram dealer. Hope they'll correct course. The Honda insurance they flog with the car will also screw you at the first minot claim, like a scratched rear door. So take the free insurance for the first year and look somewhere else.

I fairness to the Fortuna unlike the CRV that was designed as an SUV, Toyo got a Cake Icer to ponce up a Toyo Tiger ages ago, so its not realy a fair comparison

• Like 1