PM Prayut denounces ‘lack of order’ after protests against military

webfact

1 hour ago, MaxLee said:

How about never-ever-dever

The Nation missed "Prayut threatens not to call an election this year ‘unless public order prevails’" - Jan. 1, 2018

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30335144

In The Nation's "Shifting Goalposts" that you duplicated quotes Prayut:

"While making his latest promise about the election date, however, Prayut also warned that it would also depend on the situation at the time. “I am not making any threats. Let’s see what happens when the ban on political activities is lifted,” http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30339817

In other words, the exact election date may change again, ie., from February 2019. Now Prayut is reinforcing his caveat that the February 2019 election date might become TBD.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, FunkyDunky58 said:

So this 'leader' suppresses free speech, bans political gatherings, imprisons dissenters, fails to deal with corruption in his own ranks, constantly lies about the timing of the election, introduces a constitution that is far from democratic and protects his own political aspirations, and then blames the people who are sick of him and his government and want a return to proper elected leadership. Pathetic.

In a nutshell mate. Whilst asking Thai society to do what is "needed to achieve the goal" of a democratic government, I question if he is doing what is needed himself.

3 hours ago, tukkytuktuk said:

People with good intentions make promises. People with good character keep them.

IMG_20180326_075133.jpg

Pinocchio is a persistent liar  who will pull any dirty trick to stay in power by fair means or foul.   He sees himself as the country's saviour and is a legend in his own mind !!

005.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

He added that the military could not be separated from the NCPO, because the two bodies were indivisible. The military and the people were “also one”, he added.

The first sentence I believe to be correct...

The second sentence, not sure about that...

2 hours ago, webfact said:

He assured the public that his administration and the NCPO will work to maintain the utmost stability and not allow the country to return to the old vicious cycle.

"the old vicious circle" = Free and fair elections....?  Indeed very threatening for a dinosaur in uniform....:coffee1:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JOC said:

In other words....No need for elections since we all are one big and united family...

And our happiness is provided by our dear father generalissimo Prayut...

pra.jpg

Where do they sell those impressive Caps   555

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Eligius said:

So, Thais: you either carry on muttering and grumbling (behind your hand) - and then kowtowing and wai-ing and grovelling before any representative of illegitimate Authority (as is your usual pathetic way of proceeding) - or you can actually DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT ALL ! We are well past the eleventh hour by now. The writing is on the wall for all to see ...

they seem to like being bent over..

although this is eaay to say and hard to do, but of thi m8litary had taken over my cointry id prolly be dead after 4 yrs, id in some sort of undergroing fighting...

so yes when are they going to stop being bent over?

i next to no faith in this country and many of ost pwople

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, balo said:

How long can he continue making up excuses for not having an election? 

10 years ?

It would help if he was demonized by the "west" but as usual - nothing said! two faced acceptance, same as they do with Saudi!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, CGW said:

It would help if he was demonized by the "west" but as usual - nothing said! two faced acceptance, same as they do with Saudi!

I think that the West has lost interest in erstwhile parachutists..

Especially for countries that have revolving door type military coups and spew a great deal of nonsense whilst really going on with the same old bull pattery.

What did Kipling say?

"Here is the grave of the man who tried to hustle the East."

As the Thais eternally remind the rest of the world that they are "Numbah Neung" in everything-I think that I will just leave 'em to it.

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

I think that the West has lost a great deal of interest in erstwhile parachutists..

Especially for countries that have revolving door type military coups and spew a great deal of nonsense whilst really going on with the same old bull pattery.

What did Kipling say?

"Here is the grave of the man who tried to hustle the East."

As the Thais eternally remind the rest of the world that they are "Numbah Neung" in everything-I think that I will just leave 'em to it.

A sensible attitude. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

I think that the West has lost interest in erstwhile parachutists..

What did Kipling say?

Yep, shame they don't lose interest in blaming the Russians for every wrong & start to take positive action rather than playing the "blame game'!

5 minutes ago, CGW said:

Yep, shame they don't lose interest in blaming the Russians for every wrong & start to take positive action rather than playing the "blame game'!

Whilst I may-or may not-agree with your sentiments I am just wondering where it fits in to this conversation.

The West supplies tourists and deluded farang to Thailand.Thailand supplies dazzling ladies and lots of barfing rhetoric back.

That's about it,really.:smile:

Edited by Odysseus123

I have a clear idea of what the military are and of what they stand for. As about all things, the truth for me is not black, not white, but in shades of grey, which alas seem to get darker with time passing...

What I would like to learn more about are these 'activists' networks', 'pro democracy groups' and other 'citizens' initiatives', their structures, their financing(!), their following.

Who are they, where do they come from, what do they, really, want, and how do they, realistically, expect to achieve it?

As for what their 'leaders' are concerned, I'd like the same questions to be answered. Also, for those who are referred to as 'students', I would be interested to learn about their age, their academical achievements, and their present curriculum and planned future.

When an opposition, then, please, this time an idependent one, a clean one, a transparent one, at all levels, or else it will just be(come) a sequel of previous, political, Thai soap operas, with, alas, possibly, blood flowing in the streets, to no avail, as for the same forces puppeteering with the Thais for their own selfish profit for so many years...!

IMO, the majority of Thais are so afraid of the repetition of that, again, one more time, that they would rather accept the military to stay in control, instead of having them come back to abort another crisis in the next few years...

11 hours ago, missoura said:

Like many new expats, I read the numerous books about Thailand being sold throughout Bangkok that were written by both Western and Thai authors. Unfortunately, even with this knowledge and after years of living in Thailand, I understand less now than I ever did.

I am not a red shirt, yellow shirt, white shirt or a whistle blower. But, I have been to their rallies.

This is my personal observation. The Army has been in charge of Thailand for decades and probably will be in the foreseeable future.

To truly understand how this country works, you need to buy or read the books about Thailand that you CANNOT buy "throughout Bangkok".

These books are banned here, but available abroad and will open your eyes to what really has been going on post WW II.

Makes for pretty savage reading...

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Kimber said:

Where do they sell those impressive Caps   555

I believe that there is a Military Tailor's near Siam Square called " The Dressing Up Box".

Or perhaps Messrs. Hugo Boss, I believe they started out making dramatic bespoke military uniforms back in the 1930s, in Germany...

14 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

the effectiveness of the threat diminishes each and every time they are uttered. Thailand will have an election soon(ish), and if the Junta tries to delay it much further, then there will be terrible repercussions.

It is time to have the election, but I'm not as convinced that the junta agrees. I believe they are looking for a reason to delay as long as they can. I hate the thought of, "terrible repercussions" but you are right. The slow boil we see now good go full tilt and then things could rapidly get out of control. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, webfact said:

Nevertheless, he said the prime minister believed the majority of the people understood what the government had been doing and had been moving toward the election mode.

Yup........... as a snail is moving toward the North Pole........... LOL..........

• Haha 1