Video: How didn't you see the motorcyclist?

webfact

2 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

The truck driver probably saw the bike but probably did not realise the bike was stopped. Just took it for a bike going in the same direction as he was. By the time the truck driver realized the bike was stopped it was to late. 

Who would think a bike would stop in the middle lane,in the middle of no where.? I think most of us would not be prepared for this.

I take your point, but here you need to be prepared for the unexpected.

I think that would be driving without due card and attention by the pick-up driver, as they should be paying attention to what was ahead at all times.

3 minutes ago, speckio said:

stupid kid for not pulling off to the side of the road... stupid driver for not paying attention while driving.

People are dumb!

I still give them the benefit of the doubt so i call it uneducated.

And that licenseplate he lost was hanging loose for a long time i bet, untill he lost it and had to go find it. Also i bet that it's still loose now on that motocy after replacing.

Thailand really needs tv-lessons about how to behave properly on the roads...every day again for 5 minutes on prime time tv....untill they understand it...

And this boy needs several fines for what he did, hope he has to pay for the damage, you can't just stop on a main road without looking behind you.

If he went BACK  that means that he was riding the Wrong way  before he lost the plate,,,,,, It didn't say that the rider did make  Two U turns to go and retrieve the plate,,,, Ute Driver, of to the Fairies not switched on,,,,

8 hours ago, pieeyed said:

The bike rider should have pulled over to the side of the road, got off his bike and walked when safe onto the road to pick up his license plate. I guess that would be to much work.

Correct but that does not excuse the imbecile driver from what he/she did!

stupid kid on bike, i would consider him partially responsible, but what's the actual law here?  in an accident, isn't the driver coming from behind at fault?

google says " If someone hits you from behind, it is virtually never your fault, regardless of why you stopped. A basic rule of the road requires a vehicle to be able to stop safely if traffic is stopped ahead of it. If it cannot stop safely, the driver is not driving as safely as the person in front."

• Thanks 1

I've got something similar on my dash cam although the quality is really poor.  Two days ago just outside our village on the highway that passes though the village, a pickup truck failed to stop at the intersection, blew across the two lane road, and T-boned a motorcycle.  It was a three way intersection: a side road intersecting the rural highway.  The guy driving the truck didn't stop, didn't turn, but just drove straight toward a driveway, and nailed the motorcyclist and his monk passenger.  Clear road, no obstructing view, no reason for the accident, but it happened. 

I've lived here over a decade, and I'll never understand what is going though the minds of Thai drivers, if anything.  I've attached some enlarged screen shots. 
First picture is the truck blowing through the intersection.
Second is the truck hitting the motorcycle and the monk being thrown off the bike.
Third is the aftermath.  a.png.0605f9838452a3b0c4dd89afc5d4ef63.pngb.png.f23995dac3be7f5deff11577a1bfaa5e.pngc.png.a261b331f79b24ee115446ab96b4aade.pngBoth the driver and passenger monk went to the hospital.  I doubt this was even reported.  No cops involved at least at the scene.  Scary stuff!

Edited by connda
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Thian said:

I see it every day, motocy-drivers loosing helmets/slippers/bags/load/parts on the road...and yes they just drive back to stop on the road and pick it up without looking around. :post-4641-1156693976:

Same goes for cardrivers being very busy with cellphones/laptops/car-tv's/gps or children/dogs in the front seats.

It's just another example of what you get without trafficpolice patrolling the roads and writing fines.

Where are you and what are you doing when you observe all this activity go on ?

Not driving I hope.

One thing my instructor said to me that resonates the most; “you focus on driving and driving only”. He said this so often. He really emphasized this. It’s always stuck with me and I’m grateful for this. It makes perfect sense.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JOC said:

He was going with traffic to retrieve the plate...meaning when losing it he must have gone against traffic...

Karma....?

5 hours ago, starky said:

Ok first of all stupid place to stop. Second, went back? What so he was driving the wrong way initially? 

Looks like he lost his plate, changed direction at the next U-turn, then rode to the next U-turn  and changed direction again to get back to where he lost his plate.

By my guestimate, the pick-up was about 30-40 metres behind the m/c when it stopped. It's a 3 lane each way road and no other vehicles in sight. The pick-up could have easily moved into one of the other two lanes, but didn't deviate from it's course at all. This indicates that the driver was not paying attention and (IMHO) is 100% to blame.

If the m/c rider had followed local procedures (just use the shoulder to ride back in opposition to the traffic) he would have seen the oncoming pick-up and avoided the collision.

I always believe an accident involving 2 vehicles involves 2 drivers

at error.

Here we have a truck driver, obviously not paying attention to the road ahead of him, and we also have a motorcyclist stopping in the middle of the road, and doing so without looking behind first..

Dumb meets dumber.....

Amazing the bike didn't end up driving the wrong way up the carriageway.

Edited by jacko45k

7 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Looks like he lost his plate, changed direction at the next U-turn, then rode to the next U-turn  and changed direction again to get back to where he lost his plate.

By my guestimate, the pick-up was about 30-40 metres behind the m/c when it stopped. It's a 3 lane each way road and no other vehicles in sight. The pick-up could have easily moved into one of the other two lanes, but didn't deviate from it's course at all. This indicates that the driver was not paying attention and (IMHO) is 100% to blame.

If the m/c rider had followed local procedures (just use the shoulder to ride back in opposition to the traffic) he would have seen the oncoming pick-up and avoided the collision.

Don't get me wrong not excusing the driver at all. Just not smart stopping in the road. Add to that the mc potentially had no brake light or indicators. Thai reaction times and the things they do whilst driving and to be honest I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often. The disregard motorcyclists have for their own lives here is truly astounding. Passed a girl of about 10 yesterday on a scooter on a highway headphones in, texting with a hoodie and no helmet on with cars whipping past and we'll over a 100km. They must really believe in reincarnation. 

Edited by starky
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

If someone could develop an app that projects your mobile onto your windscreen then it would be a bestseller in LOS ?

Hmm, until someone starts playing a Formula One racing game on their phone, mixing up reality with the game!

Edited by bluesofa

Just now, bluesofa said:

Hmm, until someone starts playing a Formula One driving game on their phone, mixing up reality and the game!

Sounds like a great idea ?

and the best part is, other drivers probably wouldn’t notice the difference !!

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, rkidlad said:

One thing my instructor said to me that resonates the most; “you focus on driving and driving only”. He said this so often. He really emphasized this. It’s always stuck with me and I’m grateful for this. It makes perfect sense.

Here's the difference between you and I, and virtually all Thais:  You and I took a motorcycle safety course back in the home country.  I have my doubts that such an animal exists in Thailand.  Driving here in Thailand for the last decade has simply honed my survival skills.

As my instructor aptly noted that, "Car and truck drivers are surrounded by metal; you're not.  Drive accordingly." 

On 29.3.2018 at 10:17 AM, BobbyL said:

The motorcyclist firstly doesn't even bother to have a look and see what is behind him before stopping.

Came to my mind a bit late...

Not having mirrors on the bike does not help in such case.

No mirrors, another ignorance.

For the young racers it's almost a must.

Mirrors are for syssis.

You could even lose x km/h of top speed.

And for girls the left mirror is for beauty purposes only.

Directed to the face so they can check anytime.

Edited by KhunBENQ