Thailand's top banks to waive off digital transaction fees

webfact

3 hours ago, matador007 said:

150 at Krungsri (and free Pepsi at Family Mart until April)

And Krungsri allows 30k, so thats a good choice for those that have to.

I use Krungsri ATMs frequently....last time was just a few weeks ago....the fee is Bt220 for Visa/Mastercard(and of course the free Pepsi offer).   You sure you are not thinking "years" ago when the fee was Bt150...then went up to Bt180....then went up to Bt200...and is now Bt220.   

Or maybe you are using a foreign card with the UnionPay logo which is a Bt150 fee?

image.png.14ff0884e8ced56f1527e7f89e980a9e.png

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I beg to differ. Sometimes technological advances can open the door for scammers.

Unless one's debit/credit cards are in a Faraday cage ( and sometimes not even then ) a scammer with the right equipment can lift all the information and clone it, just by standing next to you in a lift or crowded public place.

In contrast, with a passbook you need to present your passport and sign in the presence of a bank officer three times - twice on the withdrawal form, once on the copy of the passport they make. Signature has to match that on your passport and in the passbook. Your face has to match the passport.

I hear constant stories of people getting their cards skimmed at ATM's, data stolen and fraudulent transactions. I have yet to hear of anyone being defrauded via passbook.

Possibly someone will find a way around passbooks; however, AFAIK no-one has yet.

Differ away! While true that tech is not perfect...it by far has made life easier, faster, more convenient, usually more secure and much better than worse. No contest.

Personally, I'll take the extremely miniscule potential loss of security to rid myself of slow, bulky, inconvenient, outdated passbooks, which can also easily be lost. Traveling to a bank...waiting in line...dealing with people (ugh!), carrying my passport (along with my passbook), using a pen to sign paper...just to make a deposit or withdrawal or transfer is not at all appealing IMO. No thanks! Time is money and is wasted going to the bank every time a simple automated transaction can be handled online or at a nearby ATM in a fraction of the time a visit to a bank teller takes. :thumbsup:

43 minutes ago, Pib said:

I use Krungsri ATMs frequently....last time was just a few weeks ago....the fee is Bt220 for Visa/Mastercard(and of course the free Pepsi offer).   You sure you are not thinking "years" ago when the fee was Bt150...then went up to Bt180....then went up to Bt200...and is now Bt220.   

Or maybe you are using a foreign card with the UnionPay logo which is a Bt150 fee?

Yes the card in question is a HK based bank with Unionpay.

I guess thats why.  220 is really taking the piss (~$7 USD at current rate).

1 hour ago, Pib said:

15 minutes ago, matador007 said:

Yes the card in question is a HK based bank with Unionpay.

I guess thats why.  220 is really taking the piss (~$7 USD at current rate).

Anyone tried a foreign UnionPay card at a Bangkok Bank ATM?  China UnionPay is supposed to have a relationship with BkB, so it would be interesting to see the fees there.

10 hours ago, Thian said:

they don't even have automatic monthly payments...in the West we have that since many decades and for free.

As far as I'm aware, Thai banks have had Direct Debit and Standing Order facilities for as long as I can remember.  Certainly Bangkok Bank has it and I'm sure other major banks have it also.

It should be noted that Direct Debit (where money is called for) and Standing Order (where a set amount is paid each month) are different.

2 hours ago, 4evermaat said:

Anyone tried a foreign UnionPay card at a Bangkok Bank ATM?  China UnionPay is supposed to have a relationship with BkB, so it would be interesting to see the fees there.

The charge for a foreign UnionPay card (i.e., not issued by a Thai bank) would be Bt150...see below snapshot from the Bangkok Bank website fee schedule which is only in the Thai language...but I identified the UnionPay card fee.

The relationship you are talking is the Bangkok Bank "dual logo Thai Payment Network (TPN) and UnionPay logo" card for their new piece of crap debit card that replaced their Visa debit card....a TPN/UnionPay card most merchants in Thailand do not accept yet for purchases, but the card works in ATMs fine.   This is not considered a foreign card as it's issued by a Thai bank.   

TPN is a joint payment system venture between Bangkok Bank and UnionPay where each owns 50% of the joint venture...and their hope is to get Thai merchants to sign-up for the TPN so Bangkok Bank & UnionPay share "in-Thailand domestic" card purchase transaction fees versus needing to give Visa/Mastercard a fee slice.   And by having the UnionPay logo on this dual logo card can also process transactions on the UnionPay network worldwide for those merchants/ATMs that support UnionPay. 

image.png.37c9152cd439b73b82432c1a97acb570.png

4 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Differ away! While true that tech is not perfect...it by far has made life easier, faster, more convenient, usually more secure and much better than worse. No contest.

Personally, I'll take the extremely miniscule potential loss of security to rid myself of slow, bulky, inconvenient, outdated passbooks, which can also easily be lost. Traveling to a bank...waiting in line...dealing with people (ugh!), carrying my passport (along with my passbook), using a pen to sign paper...just to make a deposit or withdrawal or transfer is not at all appealing IMO. No thanks! Time is money and is wasted going to the bank every time a simple automated transaction can be handled online or at a nearby ATM in a fraction of the time a visit to a bank teller takes. :thumbsup:

In Western countries, I'd agree with you. However, if you think the potential loss of security is miniscule in Thailand, you are living in la-la land. Just ask anyone who has tried to get a Thai bank to reimburse them for fraud. I'm quite happy to visit my bank with a passbook once a month - it's not a big call on my time. My debit cards are for emergency use only.

Don't come whining on TV if/when you get scammed, OK?

20 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

I have automatic monthly transfers set up using both my SCB account and my Bangkok Bank account to transfer funds between them.  This is in addition to "direct debits" that I have set up for utilities

My only complaint is that Bangkok Bank automatically charges me the higher transfer rate ( 25 THB vs.12 THB) if I schedule my monthly transfers in advance.  Maybe this new initiative will eliminate that 

With Bangkok Bank I found one monthly bill I paid had multiple account options and by using Bangkok Bank again I eliminated that cost. I also put reminders in my calendar rather than set up standing orders, that means I can control the various charges better. I actually make some effort to minimize these little here and there charges. miserly I know but nothing else to do.

7 hours ago, Lacessit said:

In Western countries, I'd agree with you. However, if you think the potential loss of security is miniscule in Thailand, you are living in la-la land. Just ask anyone who has tried to get a Thai bank to reimburse them for fraud. I'm quite happy to visit my bank with a passbook once a month - it's not a big call on my time. My debit cards are for emergency use only.

Don't come whining on TV if/when you get scammed, OK?

I have a pal who does like you, withdrawing his monthly spend with passbook etc at the bank and refusing to have an ATM card and other modern entrapments of banking. I called him a Luddite only yesterday. :smile:

Yet he ridiculed me as he pays all his utilities by direct debit and my Mrs goes off to the nearby electric or water office to pay ours. Never like direct debits. We all have different ways.!

An electronic transfer of my pension costs me AU$30  from my Aussie bank then the BKK bank convert this at about 5% less than shown in the press.
You should be able to apply to have it paid directly into a Thai bank at the RBA rate which is much better than any commercial bank. See https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/forms/aus178 for the form.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I beg to differ. Sometimes technological advances can open the door for scammers.
Unless one's debit/credit cards are in a Faraday cage ( and sometimes not even then ) a scammer with the right equipment can lift all the information and clone it, just by standing next to you in a lift or crowded public place.
In contrast, with a passbook you need to present your passport and sign in the presence of a bank officer three times - twice on the withdrawal form, once on the copy of the passport they make. Signature has to match that on your passport and in the passbook. Your face has to match the passport.
I hear constant stories of people getting their cards skimmed at ATM's, data stolen and fraudulent transactions. I have yet to hear of anyone being defrauded via passbook.
Possibly someone will find a way around passbooks; however, AFAIK no-one has yet.
They can't clone a Smart card credit card. Ok, they can read the publicly available data on the card that's used for contactless payments but these are restricted to low value. They cannot clone the private data that is used in an insert card transaction. That's why they switched from mag swipe cards to smart cards.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Just ask anyone who has tried to get a Thai bank to reimburse them for fraud.

Several years ago, I had anonymous transactions on my BKK bank.  When I queried it at the bank they ascertained that it was being used on the internet.  They immediately cancelled my card and re-issued a new one.  I highlighted the erroneous transactions and the bank reimbursed me in around a week.  It wasn't a large amount, around 15,000 baht from memory, but it was reimbursed into my account without any hassle. 

1 hour ago, swoods58 said:

They can't clone a Smart card credit card. Ok, they can read the publicly available data on the card that's used for contactless payments but these are restricted to low value. They cannot clone the private data that is used in an insert card transaction. That's why they switched from mag swipe cards to smart cards.

That’s interesting. The data available for contactless transactions isn’t the same data that’s available when the card is inserted into a card reader?

IIRC from when I last visited the UK, for contactless transactions no signature is required. You just put your card near the machine and it reads it using NFC protocol (I think that only works up to 5cm?).

I assume the bank allows multiple contactless transactions per day, so it could be possible to defraud a certain amount before the cardholder realised, but not a great amount, making it not so attractive to fraudsters.

Right now it’s not possible to clone a smart card. I’d think eventually someone will probably work out a way.

The Smart card system the Bank Of Thailand has forced the banks to adopt gives the retailer the option of verification by pin number or signature.

To me that defeats the point of improved security. If you lose your card it allows someone to use it to make purchases by signing a name on the voucher.

As we know in Thailand, staff never, ever compare the voucher signature against the card.

For years I have deliberately signed a different name on the voucher – just because I could, to make a mockery of the system.

Now with a Thai bank (alleged) Smart card, I’m doing exactly the same. The BOT should have insisted on verification by pin number only (same as the UK I believe).

On 3/30/2018 at 7:22 AM, Thian said:

Thai banks  charge customers for the most ridiculous things...and that's why it's always very busy in their branches, also they don't even have automatic monthly payments...in the West we have that since many decades and for free.

Also superrich moneychangers grows like mushrooms in BKK, guess their customers don't like to go to banks.

We are with the Bangkok Bank and they certainly have automatic monthly payments they are called “ standing orders” we pay our electric, internet provider,

water etc etc.

15 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

We are with the Bangkok Bank and they certainly have automatic monthly payments they are called “ standing orders” we pay our electric, internet provider,

water etc etc.

My wife often has to go to the bank for payments...i told her many times to do it automatic but she said they can't or that it costs money to do that...she prefers to pay for fuel instead of paying the bank i guess.

Also in the phoneshops in the malls it's always very busy with customers who have to pay their bill..

1 hour ago, StevieAus said:

water etc etc.

I've highlighted this in a previous post.  What you are talking about are 'Direct Debits'.  'Standing Orders' are designed to pay a fixed amount to 'whoever' each month.  Bangkok Bank has both.

9 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I have a pal who does like you, withdrawing his monthly spend with passbook etc at the bank and refusing to have an ATM card and other modern entrapments of banking. I called him a Luddite only yesterday. :smile:

Yet he ridiculed me as he pays all his utilities by direct debit and my Mrs goes off to the nearby electric or water office to pay ours. Never like direct debits. We all have different ways.!

To be pedantic, Luddites got their reputation by smashing machinery during the Industrial Revolution, not by ignoring the machinery.:smile:

I don't refuse to have an ATM card. It's there for emergency use. My aversion to them thus far has been based on being charged 150-200 baht per transaction, when a passbook withdrawal is free. Call me Cheap Charlie if you want, but that's the cost of a one hour massage or a good meal. As you say, we all have different ways.

7 hours ago, HHTel said:

Several years ago, I had anonymous transactions on my BKK bank.  When I queried it at the bank they ascertained that it was being used on the internet.  They immediately cancelled my card and re-issued a new one.  I highlighted the erroneous transactions and the bank reimbursed me in around a week.  It wasn't a large amount, around 15,000 baht from memory, but it was reimbursed into my account without any hassle. 

Can you say the same would happen with all Thai banks? Your happy experience is hardly a statistically significant sample.

25 minutes ago, bill1369 said:

You are correct. I looked at my BKK Bank balance this AM and I see they nicked me 200 baht for "ATM Card Annual Fee".

Well the good thing about Thai banks is that they still give interest. In the West they won't or almost nothing.

55 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

To be pedantic, Luddites got their reputation by smashing machinery during the Industrial Revolution, not by ignoring the machinery.:smile:

I don't refuse to have an ATM card. It's there for emergency use. My aversion to them thus far has been based on being charged 150-200 baht per transaction, when a passbook withdrawal is free. Call me Cheap Charlie if you want, but that's the cost of a one hour massage or a good meal. As you say, we all have different ways.

I don't understand that... I certainly refuse to use my UK cards in Thailand because of the 200 baht charge, way too much and that is before my UK bank gets started!  ATM withdrawals are free in Thailand from my Thai account. Nothing wrong with striving to prevent banks  nickel and diming your money away.

On 3/30/2018 at 7:22 AM, Thian said:

Thai banks  charge customers for the most ridiculous things...and that's why it's always very busy in their branches, also they don't even have automatic monthly payments...in the West we have that since many decades and for free.

Also superrich moneychangers grows like mushrooms in BKK, guess their customers don't like to go to banks.

the fact is that the procedures of Thai banks are ridiculous and anachronistic but their fees are lower than those which my banks in the West and Singapore charge. an exception is the fee of THB 220 when a withdrawal by an international debit card is made.

15 minutes ago, Naam said:

the fact is that the procedures of Thai banks are ridiculous and anachronistic but their fees are lower than those which my banks in the West and Singapore charge. an exception is the fee of THB 220 when a withdrawal by an international debit card is made.

When i'm back home i'll ask the bank about it again..i have a "worldpass" to use atm's worldwide for one fixed price...but in thailand that 220 baht is not included...they keep that quiet though, that's why they paid me the 250 euro when i started questioning about it some years ago.

Also i don't understand why i can't get more than 10.000 baht for each transaction...and they blocked my creditcard by default (without warning or asking me) for many Asian countries, included Singapore.

I'm still looking for a new bank which is good in Thailand and Asia and really can speak english.

4 minutes ago, Thian said:

Also i don't understand why i can't get more than 10.000 baht for each transaction...and they blocked my creditcard by default (without warning or asking me) for many Asian countries, included Singapore.

your Thai bank or your European bank?

6 hours ago, HHTel said:

I've highlighted this in a previous post.  What you are talking about are 'Direct Debits'.  'Standing Orders' are designed to pay a fixed amount to 'whoever' each month.  Bangkok Bank has both.

You are right I stand corrected

30 minutes ago, Naam said:
35 minutes ago, Thian said:

your Thai bank or your European bank?

Thian said:

Thai banks  charge customers for the most ridiculous things...

I only have European bankaccounts.

then why are you bitching about Thai banks?  :huh:

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Can you say the same would happen with all Thai banks? Your happy experience is hardly a statistically significant sample.

I never said it was.  I was replying to a post implying that it would never happen.  But of course TV can only comment derogatorily.   It will never be accepted on this forum that the norm in general is much better than portrayed here. 

Archived