Chevy Colorado

kannot

There is a service check at 5K, but it does not include changing the oil. Chevrolet wanted me to wait until 15K to do the first oil change. Mine only has 12K, but I made them change it already because I think that is way too long to wait for the first oil change. No oil consumption problems have been noticed. I only checked it once before the first change. Seemed fine.

I always make them change the oil and filter anytime I get service.

When the service interval wad 5k, they wanted to change the filter every other oil change...

Oil & filters not really something I need to save money on...

13 hours ago, Issanman said:

There is a service check at 5K, but it does not include changing the oil. Chevrolet wanted me to wait until 15K to do the first oil change. Mine only has 12K, but I made them change it already because I think that is way too long to wait for the first oil change. No oil consumption problems have been noticed. I only checked it once before the first change. Seemed fine.

ok  thanks  as  quite  a  few oil  consumption  issues  on  the  2.8 version in Australia,  they  dont  sell  the 2.5  there so little  to  no  info on that  one.

17 hours ago, mogandave said:

Is that an oil tank in the back?

I don’t think I’ve had to add oil between changes in any vehicle since the ‘80s...

yeah  but  they  use much  looser piston  rings  now to aid fuel consumption and the  result is  more  oil can be used in  this process.

Machine tolerances and oil quality are so much better now, that oil consumption should be negligent.

Chevy specs 15,000km between changes, and the idea that one would be expected to top up the oil between changes is ridiculous.

2 hours ago, kannot said:

yeah  but  they  use much  looser piston  rings  now to aid fuel consumption and the  result is  more  oil can be used in  this process.

No, not the rings...Depends on the piston material and bore piston clearances  they could be bigger or smaller depending on expansion of the piston material used.....

15 hours ago, mogandave said:

Machine tolerances and oil quality are so much better now, that oil consumption should be negligent.

Chevy specs 15,000km between changes, and the idea that one would be expected to top up the oil between changes is ridiculous.

id  do a bit more research if I was you and Chevrolet is  not the only one it  applies to.

https://gm.oemdtc.com/8570/a172101891-service-update-gmi700-31ux-engine-oil-high-consumption-rate-2014-2016-chevrolet-colorado-trailblazer

Edited by kannot

15 hours ago, transam said:

No, not the rings...Depends on the piston material and bore piston clearances  they could be bigger or smaller depending on expansion of the piston material used.....

States  looser piston rings

15 hours ago, mogandave said:

GM says normal consumption "can be in the range of one quart within 2,000 miles on a properly driven and maintained vehicle." A  quart is  about 1  litre every 3200km, which would mean in effect you "could"  totally replace the oil between services having none of the original oil left. I dont agree with this amount of oil used being "normal" which is why Im asking owners in Thailand ( as ive only heard  the 2.8 in Australia being affected and some 3.6 lit ones in the U.S)

source https://www.cars.com/articles/how-much-oil-consumption-is-normal-1420682864535/

Edited by kannot

GM says normal consumption "can be in the range of one quart within 2,000 miles on a properly driven and maintained vehicle." A  quart is  about 1  litre every 3200km, which would mean in effect you "could"  totally replace the oil between services having none of the original oil left. I dont agree with this amount of oil used being "normal" which is why Im asking owners in Thailand ( as ive only heard  the 2.8 in Australia being affected and some 3.6 lit ones in the U.S)
source https://www.cars.com/articles/how-much-oil-consumption-is-normal-1420682864535/

Does the article not quote Honda rather than GM?

2 hours ago, kannot said:

States  looser piston rings

A piston ring is just that, it has an instillation gap where the ends meet. The ring manufacturer states the gap for there ring. My fun ride ring gap was (I think) 18 thou in the bore, I spent a lot of time sorting that. Piston to bore clearance is different, a forged piston has a bigger clearance than cast because different heat expansion. 

If they are saying rings have a bigger joint gap I can accept that..

This oil consumption thing sounds like BS to me. I few units or a bad production run perhaps, but in general? Ridiculous.

To be clear, taking what a customer claims was said to them by a worker at a dealership and presenting it as GM’s official position is incompetent at best....

9 hours ago, akirasan said:

My 2006 3L Colorado doesn't seem to use any oil or need topping up in between changes. I change the oil and filter every 10,000 km. 

You 2006 Colorado is an Isuzu in disguise.  The oil consumption issue is with the later model with the Duramax engine.  

On 5/14/2018 at 7:57 AM, akirasan said:

My 2006 3L Colorado doesn't seem to use any oil or need topping up in between changes. I change the oil and filter every 10,000 km. 

Too  old to be affected, Im trying to find out if the latest model 2.5  diesel has an issue. Many reports of the 2.8 and even  this from gm https://gm.oemdtc.com/8570/a172101891-service-update-gmi700-31ux-engine-oil-high-consumption-rate-2014-2016-chevrolet-colorado-trailblazer

On 4/30/2018 at 9:29 AM, mogandave said:

I think the bow-tie is good looking, but I think the Toyota, Isuzu, Ford & Mazda are good looking as well.

I don’t like the look of the mitsu.

Isuzu is a good bet. Good service everywhere and much cheaper than Toyota.

I've owned several Mitsubishi's - Triton, Lancer and multiple Magnas. They have never let me down, good engineering.

I can understand good-looking sedans or coupes. I don't understand how what is basically a truck can be described as good-looking.

IMG20180406121407.jpg

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I've owned several Mitsubishi's - Triton, Lancer and multiple Magnas. They have never let me down, good engineering.

I can understand good-looking sedans or coupes. I don't understand how what is basically a truck can be described as good-looking.

IMG20180406121407.jpg

camino.jpg.812c4b10d7326d6f3d8bb83f3f707d39.jpg

1 hour ago, transam said:

camino.jpg.812c4b10d7326d6f3d8bb83f3f707d39.jpg

With the suspension lowered that much, IMHO it is not what we in Australia call a utility, because it is no longer fulfilling its original function. One bag of wheat in the back in a paddock, and you'd be ripping the diff off. Does look nice, though.

5 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

With the suspension lowered that much, IMHO it is not what we in Australia call a utility, because it is no longer fulfilling its original function. One bag of wheat in the back in a paddock, and you'd be ripping the diff off. Does look nice, though.

That was my point....One can usually make anything look coooooool....:stoner:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mogandave said:

It looks like it’s on “hydraulics” so you could raise it if need be.

Ride is crap though

I'd be looking for scratch marks on the door handles....

2 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

Does a tiny ladder come with it? :vampire:

ladder.jpg

No, only those of a certain height can buy it...All others must buy a Ford or Chevy cos their main dealer spends more time climbing over it....5170.gif.37e77f71035d4ef3fbf947e8a4d847f3.gif

• Like 1