Tourist arrested for stealing Bt1,400 from Chiang Mai temple

Jonathan Fairfield

4 minutes ago, saakura said:

And this lowlife has done it at least twice. Cant fall any lower, this scum should be put on the next plane to America.

Its a trivial misdemeanour and you are calling for deportation. Remember that when they are coming after you.

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, saakura said:

And this lowlife has done it at least twice. Cant fall any lower, this scum should be put on the next plane to America.

Why would you let him off so lightly?

Surely he should not be deprived of the 12 month holiday of a lifetime first?

Don't get me wrong. He will get deported and blacklisted when the case is over anyway.

While I am here, I got rightfully bawled out earlier for speaking of such a "low" action.

We do not know why he did it. He may have issues upstairs, he may have just been desperate. Who knows?

Can we all please try to keep our comments at least passingly polite when referring to this person and avoid overly derogatory terms please?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tilacme said:

I accept your authority in this area and i know you do good work. But your language "doing something so low"?  He is a petty theft and no need to gloss it up from that.  The fact that it was from a Wat has no bearing.  He showed no violence and may be in a greater need.  The Wat is the  safety net for Thais but where is it for farangs in Thailand.

or he could just be a greedy thief and who says that had he been in great need the wat wouldn't have helped with some food and shelter. doesn't look like he asked them

• Like 1

He must be desperate, he was deported from Cambodia for visa overstay after (unsuccessfully) trying to rob a roadside hut/shop in December 2016, looks like Cambodia just kicked him over the border?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

15 hours ago, Rally123 said:

Abbots have been doing it with impunity since time began. For this guy to do what he did he must have been desperate. I'd have thought the Abbot would have had a little compassion. Hold on, it was something the Abbot had eyes on for himself, so stuff the compassion.

Obviously, more of a Inspector Javert than a Bishop Myriel.

19 hours ago, z42 said:

But you can be a member of the Thai civil service and steal 88 million from funds destined for the poor and not even have the threat of arrest hanging over you.

What a bunch of BS ?

Is this a justification of the act or a reason to let it go?

He should be blacklisted and deported...my guess is he WONT serve any time...pay back in full with fine...

how do they know exactly how much in the box? Is it not a daily fluid process?

they count it each day and leave it there to attract other contributors?

23 minutes ago, cardinalblue said:

they count it each day and leave it there to attract other contributors?

Exactly right. You'll never come up against a busker or beggar with a completely empty bowl. Or the perspex charity boxes at airports for people with surplus coins to donate. This is why the Abbot knew the exact figure was in the box. It's a psychological practice that encourages people to donate. 

I used to do this when I was a river guide. I would keep a ten and a twenty in my mesh pocket so that they were plainly visible to my customers. We specialized in short trips that cost $25-$45 per person so $10-$20 was a reasonable tip for a family of four. It seemed to improve my haul at the end of the day.

19 hours ago, Tilacme said:

I accept your authority in this area and i know you do good work. But your language "doing something so low"?  He is a petty theft and no need to gloss it up from that.  The fact that it was from a Wat has no bearing.  He showed no violence and may be in a greater need.  The Wat is the  safety net for Thais but where is it for farangs in Thailand.

yes it is the safety net for Thais..

but you dont see them stealing money from the temple.

no, this guy makes all us look bad when Thais see a story like this. hope they bang him up 6 months

19 hours ago, Tilacme said:

Stealing from religious collection boxes, charity collections boxes etc has always seemed a particularly low form of theft. 

Regardless of how desperate the American may or may not be, he's likely had a better life and better off than impoverished Asians. 

He had the money to travel here. It isn't Thailand's responsibility to provide for impoverished Americans. Nor does it justify theft. But now he'll get some board and lodging which may not be to his liking.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, sanemax said:

Don't think that he will get jail for that

As sorry as I am for anybody serving a sentence in a Thai jail, I do hope he does get a jail, non suspended sentence, for this stupid, but reckless and respectless crime

19 hours ago, tukkytuktuk said:

There's a video of the cctv footage on youtube. But it's difficult to watch when the news reporter keeps saying "farang" every 10 seconds with the news anchor replying "ur". Took a screen shot for you instead.

Screenshot_20180331-184658.jpg

At least he removed his shoes, points for cultural sensitivity. ?

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Briggsy said:

You believe it to be BS as you are viewing this from a white man's perspective, that is from a moral and proportionate basis.

However, you need to look at it from an Asian perspective. If you have power, you can do what you like, a little power gives some impunity and so on. If you don't have power or connections, petty thieving will be met with a disproportionately harsh response.

If you continue to view Thailand through white man's eyes, you will be constantly shocked by the injustice of it all.

I don't condone stealing no matter who does it!

20 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Why would you let him off so lightly?

Surely he should not be deprived of the 12 month holiday of a lifetime first?

Don't get me wrong. He will get deported and blacklisted when the case is over anyway.

While I am here, I got rightfully bawled out earlier for speaking of such a "low" action.

We do not know why he did it. He may have issues upstairs, he may have just been desperate. Who knows?

Can we all please try to keep our comments at least passingly polite when referring to this person and avoid overly derogatory terms please?

I agree with your last 2 sentences 100% dsd.   Some think being a yank he is loaded , I very much doubt he is as no one with enough cash to get by on would do this.  I think he is in deperate times and I am glad I don't have to stoop this low. I would like to know his reason then we could clear this topic up and get back to playing connect 4.

• Thanks 1

On 31/03/2018 at 3:23 PM, Just1Voice said:

Going to jail, and then blacklisted over roughly $45.  

Stupidity comes in all shapes, sizes and nationalities. 

I really do not see how anyone could contradict you :smile:

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 11:03 AM, darksidedog said:

I concede your valid point.

Stealing from anywhere is bad, but stealing from a church or temple has always seemed morally deplorable to me, just above grave robbing.

You are right though, it is just theft and who knows his need?

I would have thought that anyone stealing such a small amount must have some real problems but apparently it wasn't a spur of the moment thing.  He went twice to the Wat to steal according to the Abbot.  Whatever the reasons I think he needs help rather being pilloried.

8 hours ago, tingtongtourist said:

yes it is the safety net for Thais..

but you dont see them stealing money from the temple.

no, this guy makes all us look bad when Thais see a story like this. hope they bang him up 6 months

Our local temple has been burgled twice in the last year and another 2km away  also robbed.All by local teenagers.

• Like 1

On 31/3/2561 at 4:58 PM, Tilacme said:

You are suppose to have a certain level of income or money in the bank. If you have to steal in order to stay here time to go back home

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Black arab said:

Our local temple has been burgled twice in the last year and another 2km away  also robbed.All by local teenagers.

i can only be suprise it dont happen a lot more, now people get desperate.

every country now the small% rich are not doing a damn thing to help the big% of poor.

just all GREED.

you watch, western country is worse even. big business now all they wanna do is mechanise, with technology and cut down labour cost and jobs.

another 20 years time the true unemployed level of the world will be 40% and well 

Thailand probably not so bad but for sure they wont be able to display those silly money trees with the 1000baht note leafs.

4 hours ago, moe666 said:

You are suppose to have a certain level of income or money in the bank. If you have to steal in order to stay here time to go back home

YES!! 

and notice what the others done so they can stay in Thailand:

e-beggers, hippies trying to selling postcards of their baby or trip..NOBody interested!

have an accident---

can beg on "go fund me"

stage some crime, passing counterfeit money--

say thai cops banged me up..

then can do online begging, even if story is fake and you are not even arrested!

hide your luggage in another hotel--

can say some Thai stole it and 

nice insurance scam to pay for holiday

throw yourself down some stairs and then say your robbed and khatoeys beat you up

the list can be endless but do not try these stories or robbing temple (so low class)

just find something new already, you xxxxing no hopers!