Survey shows more than half of women being sexually harassed during Songkran

webfact

Survey shows more than half of women being sexually harassed during Songkran

By Thai PBS

70_Songkran.jpg

A random survey on sexual harassment against women during Songkran festival last year shows that 59.3 percent of the 1,650 female respondents admitted that they used to be sexually harassed by male revelers in different ways.

Nearly 34 percent admitted they were deliberately touched on hands or arms or sexually stared; 18 percent said their bodies were touched or their genitals touched; others felt they were unsafe, harassed by drunken revelers or were forced to drink alcohol.

The survey was conducted by the Women and Men Progressive Movement Foundation on 1,650 women in Bangkok. Of all the women who were sexually harassed during Songkran festival last year, only one-fourths of them took their cases to the police, according to the survey which was released by the foundation earlier this week.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/survey-shows-half-women-sexually-harassed-songkran/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-04-06
  • Haha 1

Obviously, the Women and Men's Progressive Movement Foundation has an agenda, and that's not necessarily a bad thing, but conducting a survey like this, using a definition of sexual harrassment so broad and subjective, rather than helping highlight the undoubtedly real problem, dilutes it, IMHO. OK, they'll be patting each other on the back on the results (or maybe not, given it's defined as sexual harrassment), but is it going to convert the unconverted, I think not.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, webfact said:

"........deliberately touched on hands or arms or sexually stared...."

Fairly loose definitions of sexual harassment I would have thought. Perhaps the touching on arms and hands was accidental in the melee of the water revelry. And maybe they were being stared at because they were astonishingly ugly or behaving stupidly. 

• Like 1

"Sexually stared". The survey was probably headed by some <offensive comment removed> who lacks this sort of attention and brainwashed in her social studies course. Thailand with all it's problems doesn't need this Western regressive indoctrination (well no one does, but people put up with it the West because life is more cosy, better chance of making a good living). The average Thai already has enough BS to worry about.

Edited by metisdead
Offensive comment removed.
  • Like 2

Dress modestly and you are unlikely to be groped. Dress provocatively however, and it's open season for drunken Thai men (and Westerners in places like Pattaya and Patong) to get carried, away whilst revelling in the fun.

You decide girls

• Like 1

Songkran just another excuse for thais not to work and get drunk for a week Half would not even know what Songkran is suppose to be. Glad i am out of the  country this week Pack of idiots ruling the streets watched by an ineffective police force who probably join in

I just want to know when they are going to do a survey on the percentage of male tourists

sexually assaulted (same broad definition) as they walk through a beer bar complex, go-go bar,

or on walking street. :tongue:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I find this type of rampant sexism appalling. It is time to level the playing field in gender disparity. I have participated in Songkran almost every year that I have been in Thailand and have NOT ONCE been sexually harrassed by the ladies. I will be filing a complaint with the authorities!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

They were sexually harassing the men, touching them on the elbow, and staring at their crotches.

8 hours ago, Ulic said:

I just want to know when they are going to do a survey on the percentage of male tourists

sexually assaulted (same broad definition) as they walk through a beer bar complex, go-go bar,

or on walking street. :tongue:

True , lost count the amount of times I have had my genitals felt by bar girls , if only I was prepared for it to give a better impression . :shock1:

• Haha 1

On 4/5/2018 at 11:04 PM, webfact said:

Nearly 34 percent admitted they were deliberately touched on hands or arms or sexually stared; 18 percent said their bodies were touched or their genitals touched; others felt they were unsafe, harassed by drunken revelers or were forced to drink alcohol.

So, 18% were actually harassed. Headline - nonsense.

Touched on hands or arms? Seriously?

Sexually stared?! OMG. The horror.

The so-called "foundation" may be dismissed.

The #metoo feminist denial of complicity as gone totally out of control.

Dressing provocatively, in a way you might see in a gogo bar is an indication of sexual availability.

Wearing a wet T-shirt with no bra and wet tight high cut shorts is provocative, and wimin know it is.

If you look like a hooker and act like a hooker are you a duck, or a hooker?

Quite what the parameters are for touching in the midst of the Songkran parties needs to be made clear.

If men get their nuts squeezed they don't complain unless it's a transvestite.

A "goose"  (bum squeeze sort of) or casual brush to see if the alluring looks are more than a pric# tease is now taboo.

Girls; full jeans, a bra and no "come on" glances will stop the problem but keep the fun.

We are all adults and know the signals.

This is back to the Garden of Eden.

If sexual interaction is to be forbidden then the human race will die off.

(Although it needs to stop the exponential birth rate anyway.)

:guitar:

The #metoo feminist denial of complicity as gone totally out of control.

Dressing provocatively, in a way you might see in a gogo bar is an indication of sexual availability.
Wearing a wet T-shirt with no bra and wet tight high cut shorts is provocative, and wimin know it is.
If you look like a hooker and act like a hooker are you a duck, or a hooker?
Quite what the parameters are for touching in the midst of the Songkran parties needs to be made clear.
If men get their nuts squeezed they don't complain unless it's a transvestite.
A "goose"  (bum squeeze sort of) or casual brush to see if the alluring looks are more than a pric# tease is now taboo.

Girls; full jeans, a bra and no "come on" glances will stop the problem but keep the fun.
We are all adults and know the signals.
This is back to the Garden of Eden.
If sexual interaction is to be forbidden then the human race will die off.
(Although it needs to stop the exponential birth rate anyway.)

:guitar:

Yeah they all want to wear "full jeans" and get soaked.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app